From the Golden State to Guatemala

Posted by: Chris Palmeri on August 13, 2007

The Los Angeles Times had a poignant feature over the weekend showing the impact of the mortgage meltdown on all sorts of related businesspeople, from the 27 year old loan processor at Countrywide Financial who got layed-off to the Century 21 Realtor who’s offered to babysit for clients to win their listings.

Escrow company owner Juliana Tu has had to ask her employees to pay for their own health insurance premiums. Home appraiser Michael Mathis has seen his income fall so dramatically he put his own home up for sale. It’s been on the market since December. Economist Christopher Thornberg notes that California could lose some 200,000 real estate related jobs before the slump ends.

Of particular note was how dirctly connected the home remodeling industry was to the real estate boom. In the article, tile setter George Ordunasays he’s gone from five jobs per week and turning business over to others to being lucky if he can get one project per week. Jobs that used to pay him $25 a square foot now pay $12. Painter Brulio Gonzales used to get four or five calls a day offering work. Today he can go five days without a call, a burden too on his grandmother in Guatemala who relies on money he has sent home.

If you need remodeling done, now’s the time to call.

Paul

August 13, 2007 1:19 PM

Link not working?

thanks for noticing. i took the link off til i can find out what's not working.

chris

bath mateus

December 24, 2009 6:49 AM

Its really very impressive and attractive. I like it. I think others will like it and find it useful for them. Good luck.

Bathmate

bath mateus

December 24, 2009 6:51 AM

Bathmate

bath mateus

December 24, 2009 6:52 AM

Bathmate

Nick Matyas

January 5, 2010 12:24 AM

It is a good posting. I like it. It's pretty much impressive.

webroyalty

Nick Matyas

January 8, 2010 6:01 AM

It's really a good posting. I like it. It's pretty much impressive to me. i think others will agree with me.

webroyalty