Better than Zillow?

Posted by: Maya Roney on July 17, 2007

Yet another consumer real estate Web site has launched today. Given the success of Zillow and Trulia, brand-new site Terabitz.com has high hopes (the site’s PR person has already promised me that it is “better than Zillow”).

In my opinion, the coolest thing about Terabitz is its customizability (that’s a real word, I checked). Think iGoogle, but for real estate. For those without a personalized Google homepage, iGoogle allows you to add web feeds and “Google Gadgets” to the usual Google homepage so that when you go to www.google.com to search, you can also track things like the local weather, your stocks, your email or the top stories on your favorite news sites. With Terabitz, you enter a location and drag icons from the top of the page into “the workspace.” This way, you can simultaneously view maps, for-sale listings from a number of different sources, local photos, a list of restaurants or doctors offices in the area, population demographics, a mortgage rate calculator— you name it.

Agent Scoreboard

July 17, 2007 1:42 PM

why would I want a real estate homepage, like iGoogle?

Developersagent.com

July 17, 2007 2:04 PM

Great idea! As a realtor in the DC area I can only imagine that other web developers will only build upon the infrastructure that was developed by Zillow given the inaccuracy of Zillow's 'Zestimator.'

ordinaryjoe

July 17, 2007 9:08 PM

So, people looking for a new home all are relocating from out of town, need to know this 10 foot level detailed stuff and keep it one place? Most sales are trade ups in the general market area and buyers have a pretty good idea about retailer locations.
Maybe obsessive compulsive relos is a larger market segment than I thought.

bob

July 18, 2007 8:46 AM

developersagent, you are right. Zillows estimator is inaccurate, it appraises properties at a much higher value then they really are. I wish it could find a way to get the true comp price. You know, deduct closing cost help, money back, etc.

But, I am glad someone in the business is realizing how overpriced the estimates are... Wait, you couldn't have possibly meant they were underpriced?

Sol from Forsalebyweb.com

July 18, 2007 9:59 AM

Any form of innovation is good for the consumers. Terabitz and other social media platforms is a positive move in the right direction. However, I question the value and utility of such experience. Is the goal of social media and dashboard models to save consumers money? Or, to offer entertainment?

Do we really need a bookmarking site for real estate when we can bookmark our favorite sites on internet browsers?

Richard

July 19, 2007 3:18 PM

While Terabitz website is impressive, it seems to be one sided in favor of the Buyer. Only a fraction of the data from the MLS in any one zip code is reported. In addition, this website does not help the Seller or Agent of property market those properties to the end user. The data reported by Terabitz is from outside sources and the property owner cannot directly post their property to the Terabitz database. I tend to prefer websites which function for both users in the transaction, like Real Estate And Vacations.com. Their crisp, simplistic approach offers a very affordable means for property and business services to be promoted to potential users.

Sol from Forsalebyweb.com

July 20, 2007 1:20 PM

Richard, It seems that Terabitz's dashboard offers a limited choice of providers. This is far from offering "all kinds" of information in one place as the press release claims.

A simple web directory of tools can do a much better job. IMO.

Frank Borges LL0SA- BLOG.FranklyRealty.com

July 24, 2007 3:28 AM

This site is full of Glitz, but too slow. Yes I'm on a fast connection, but still, way too slow. People want the data FAST.

Frank Borges LLosa

Roger Williams

July 25, 2007 1:41 AM

Yea u rite ,.... the site is really cool and self explanatory .... check it out to have a wide array of options and choose the best one for you and your family...

TheTruthHurts

July 26, 2007 10:49 PM

Gosh, the site has only been up a couple of weeks. Everyone is so critical. I frankly need more screen "real estate" devoted to things, but it's a good start. I'm tired of jumping among Redfin, Zillow, PropertyShark, ForeclosureRadar, RealEstateABC and a couple of others. I had thought about just building a simple page for myself where I put in the address and then open several windows with one click to get the information I need. Somebody will try to make a business out of anything these days. Someone does need to aggregate the best sources out there, but at this point, I'd prefer full screen. For the buyer, I need ZipRealty's school and transportation info, Zillow's Bird's Eye view and Zestimates, Redfin's table/map structure and PropertyShark/ForeclosureRadar/RealEstateABC once I've narrowed down a property.

Ron Asteak

November 19, 2007 11:38 PM

Zillow "Guess-Idiots" appear to rely on public tax records that in some cases haven't been updated in twenty-five years. The zestimator is a sketchy tool to rely on. I believe it's best to use a Professional Appraiser when valuing real estate.