The Latest Foreclosure Victims

Posted by: Maya Roney on May 16, 2007

Speaking of foreclosures in Ohio…it turns out that an evicted man in Cincinnati recently walked away from his home without alerting anyone about the 60+ cats and kittens he left behind. Grey_Cat_Closeup_Crop.jpg

These innocent creatures, trapped inside without food or water, cannot be accused of biting off more debt than they could chew. Rescue groups are now looking for foster homes and donations. Visit www.foreclosurecats.org to help (“Foreclosure Cats” could also be a great band name).

Scott

May 16, 2007 11:10 PM

Hey Business Week and Maya --

Thank you for covering this story. It does not seem like a typical Business Week story so I applaud you for posting it on your website. How horrible that this man abandoned so many helpless animals! My hat's off to the people who are trying to help them. I am going to the www.foreclosurecats.org website to donate and hope others will, too.

--Scott

Brandon W

May 17, 2007 8:28 AM

I hope Ohio has animal cruelty laws and this guy gets prosecuted. How hard would it have been for him to simply call a rescue group?

Maya, I'll get the old guitar out and shake off the rust. You take the vocals. The Foreclosure Cats... on a mission from God. ;-)

shaun mclane

May 17, 2007 10:07 AM

Never been a fan of cats, but what a creep for leaving them behind. I've come to realize that there should be a limit to the number of cats someone should own, and that maybe when they reach that limit (say, 10) they should have a mental examination. These type of cat-related stories are just getting too familiar. ;-)

Gail Silver

May 23, 2007 12:27 PM

Shaun, and other posters: thank you for your notes and for thanking Maya for running this story. I should have thanked her myself, but have been 120% involved with getting cats and kittens out of that house! (I am the rescuer who discovered this situation while riding my bike.) We have pulled out 52 cats so far and the bank has given us until Friday. They are staged in garages, basements, being boarded at vets all over the city, etc., and as donations come in we are working to treat them all. Six have died, but that's 46 more saved so far than would have been.

I did want to tell you that it isn't so much about the number of cats people have, as whether they take care of them. "Hoarding" is a sickness and anyone who isn't caring for their cats, even if just a few, and letting them populate, is a budding hoarder. I have many rescue friends who have 20 or more cats, but the homes are healthy and clean, all cats altered and vaccinated, etc.

With help from many people in many communities, reporters like Maya helping us spread the word, local volunteers, fosters and adopters, we hope to save all of the cats in our care. Thanks to all.
Gail

G.

Debt Rescue

August 18, 2009 6:11 AM

yes we agree the risk for foreclosure in the markets , as the rates are high majority cannot pay taxes , hence these all have to suffer .

September 8, 2009 2:19 AM

With financial instability and worst economic condition , the risk of foreclosure and taxes have increased tremendously .