State Taxes: Vermont vs. New Hampshire

Posted by: Peter Coy on April 8, 2006

Vermont and New Hampshire may be geographic twins, but they are fiscal opposites.
Vermont.jpg
Vermont (right-hand flag) had the highest state tax burden per person in the nation this past fiscal year, while New Hampshire (left-hand flag) was third from the bottom, according to Census Bureau data reported this week by a great website called stateline.org . (For the original Census report, click here.)
New Hampshire.jpg
Taxpayers in Vermont are screaming in pain after a two-thirds increase in receipts from the statewide property tax. One resort town threatened to secede.
Makes you wonder: Since Vermont and New Hampshire are separated by nothing more than the Connecticut River, why don’t more Vermonters move across the border to save on taxes?

Chester from Westchester

April 9, 2006 8:14 PM

I believe Maine consistently has the highest total tax burden whenever these studies come out.

As for NH, here are a couple possible reasons Vermonters may not be so ready to cross the Connecticut River:

"The state (NH) also wasn’t too far behind New Jersey for having the most hazardous waste sites per 10,000 square miles+.
From http://www.seacoastonline.com/news/03192006/news/93348.htm

N.H. tops U.S. in adult asthma
From http://www.seacoastonline.com/news/04092006/news/96803.htm

Also, for my money, there is no finer lake in the U.S. than Lake Champlain, and I'm sure many Vermonters would not want to move away from this gem. Also, have you ever been stuck in traffic in North Conway? It can get quite crowded there and it's also way too commercialized.

Finally, their tiny stretch of seacoast would be a lot nicer if it wasn't right next to the Seabrook nuclear power plant.

Ryan

July 7, 2006 10:45 PM

new hampshire is more free than vermont and ive lived in both states and vermont is by far the worst choice especially in taxes and there are many more beautiful sites in new hampshire than vermont. Lake winnepesaukee,lake sunnapee and the ocean does vermont have any of those. vermont is just a dumpy place to live and in springfield there is usually dog shit on the sidewalks for no reason

Hugh Jazz

September 1, 2006 11:51 AM

New Hampshire has it all...powerful Universities, the seacoast, the White Mountain National Forest, low taxes, rural beauty, bustling small cities, and growing businesses. Our future is so bright we gotta wear shades. But don't move here, we are full. I have lived in both states and Vermont is a pretty crappy place to live...lots of hippy-dippy's, bad roads, few services, and high taxes. I am glad I am a New Hampshirite!

Rob Borkowski

September 25, 2006 1:48 AM

The absolute best think about NH is that you can look across the water and see VT.

Deb

February 19, 2007 2:48 PM

Vermont is a crappy place to live...very expensive...housing shortages....Landlords are greedy...apartments are cheaply built and not sound proof....Springfield is a very ugly dirty little town....with alot of strange people...not much for stores or places to live that are even half way decent...most who rent in this state cater to the rich...Vermont needs to concentrate on taking care of Vermonters....

colonel

April 4, 2007 6:47 PM

Lake champlain is dirty compared to most lakes Ft. Ticondaroga paper dumped waste in there for years If I could afford to move I would move across the river . We have the finest politicions money can buy.They are for anyone but the Vermonters.

Scott Patterson

April 8, 2007 2:33 AM

Because if you move from VA to NH, you are still in the northeast and you are going to get taxed, suffer through winters, and have stagnent job growth, better to just to the southeast/west.

john dean

July 1, 2007 5:10 PM

i think your perspective is one of privlage. to tell you the truth if it came to living in Vt or NH. Vt would always win. Industry in no way makes a positive living environment. I'll pay the higher taxes to keep ravenous enviro-villans at bay.

Haywood Yablowme

September 28, 2007 7:25 AM

New Hampshire is a great place to live and raise a family. NH has everything Vermont has, and them some. I have lived in both states and my income, opportunities, and quality of life has always been significantly better in NH. NH has better schools for my children, better sports program for my kids, more outdoors related activities for me and my kids (White Mountains and the ocean), and more cultural experiences for me and my kids (Universities and museums). All Vermont seems to have it alot of pot smoking, hippy-dippy's, that either work dead-end jobs or live off trust-funds. Vermont also has their share of ingnorant rednecks as well.

Britt

October 19, 2007 9:54 PM

Vermont is a fantastic place to live in. I live in a place that is right on the border of VT and NH and I love both states. However, Vermont isnt all about money like NH, while we are ahead of the times for civil unions and environment friendly policies. I love the White Mountains, but sweet mayple sugary Vermont has always stood out in my mind as a worthier state with better values.

Belle

January 10, 2008 1:34 PM

So I go to school in Vermont...but I have lived in NH for like 4 years and I think that they are both really great places to live and just chill. Actually I really don't see the difference between the states...but thats just me. But I think that they would both be great places to live. Just for the record though....Maine kicks so much more then either one! =]

Hilary

July 31, 2008 11:31 PM

Vermont is dangerous to ones health; too much worry over taxes. My parents(80 and 85) have worked all their lives and love Vermont but ended up in a gold town. What an insult to be bleed for others in recipient towns who could actually work if they wanted to. Where do the politicians think money comes from. The best part of all the taxes is that people are moving out and animals back in.

Rick

September 2, 2008 8:37 PM

Vermont is the welfare capital of the world. If you don't want to work for a living then move to Vermont, they will support you. Take a drive through Springfield, that town has gone to crap! It was once a beautiful, prosperous town, now it is filled with a bunch of shiftless people from who knows where that are just sucking the taxpayers dry. Wake up Vermont and make these fully capable do-nothings get off welfare and work!

C. T aylor

November 17, 2008 7:31 PM

My wife and I have given a lot of thought about relocating to Vermont but after reading the comments it appears that vermont is just another dead end tax and spend north east state with lame brain politicians. To bad it is such a lovely place.