Gender Balance in Finance?

Posted by: Michael Mandel on January 09

Barclays Capital took out a full-page ad in today’s WSJ announcing its new Managing Directors (page A20, end of the first section), with pictures of all of them. I couldn’t help but notice that the list include 64 men and 8 women. That’s 89% male.

What’s up about that? Is this typical for Wall Street these days?

TrackBack URL for this entry: http://blogs.businessweek.com/mt/mt-tb.cgi/

Joe Cushing

January 14, 2007 08:36 PM

I don't know how things are at the top but at the bottom things seem to be split 50/50. I'm in a graduate finance program and my classes are split pretty even. What is interesting is that there is a very large proportion of foreigners from Europe in my classes. I don’t think I have ever seen a more diverse group of Europeans in one place.

Frank Drake

January 23, 2007 12:22 AM

Michael, you column respondents are 93% men.
What up with that? I think you need to throw an “Economic Party” and invite the female race to your column. You are found wanting here and should “Ask Abby” for some advice.

Sarah

January 23, 2007 12:44 PM

I hate to point it out Frank, but 64+8=72 total people. 64men/72total=0.888 or 88.8% I'm not sure what kind of math you used, but it's not the same kind I was taught in school.

Tanie

January 24, 2007 04:27 PM

Obviously Sarah, he rounded the percentage. 88.8%=89% when it is rounded up.

Frank Drake

January 25, 2007 04:15 PM

Tanie and Sarah, you are duly noted in this column.
Michael appreciates your leverage.

Carol Govati

January 30, 2007 06:55 AM

This just shows how much men are dominating in almost everything but am sure we are heading for a change.Right now i can say the 11 percent taken by women is an achievement, and more is coming. Watch this space

Mike Mandel

February 2, 2007 01:06 PM

The doors are open to all...

Kevin

February 6, 2007 03:29 PM

Michael, you do realize that when these middle aged execs were in college that few girls were majoring in finance and related majors, right? They were majoring in Marketing, Psychology, and other useless crap majors. Since there were so few women entering the pipeline years ago, how do you expect a bunch of world class female finance veterans to suddenly appear on Wall Street? Magic? (And if you know of magic for making women appear out of thin air, please tell me).

I might add, I don't think much has changed. Gotta be in it to win it -- Gals have to get the appropriate education and actually, you know, enter the industry before they can break through any glass ceilings.

Thank you for your interest. This blog is no longer active.