New 2010 Prius Ad Super Bowl Worthy in May.

Posted by: David Kiley on May 15, 2009

Toyota has launched a brilliant new ad for the 2010 Toyota Prius. I confess I haven’t seen a really good Toyota ad from Saatchi and Saatchi in some time. But this ad, I believe, will really snare big engagement ratings from Nielsen/IAG, which tracks how much TV watchers pay attention to ads.

Toyota must think it is on to something too, as it posted this video to youtube.com showing how the ad was made.

I will give a shout out here, though, to Wieden & Kennedy, London. Wieden a few years ago did a fabulous ad in London for Honda U.K. that this ad seems to pay homage to in terms of art direction. That was the famous “Grrrrrrr” ad for Honda’s diesel engines.

So, one may ask where this talent came from? Toyota has had some problems with its Lexus ads of late, handled by Saatchi and Saatchi owned Team One. Indeed, the company, my sources tell me, is allowing other agencies to pitch to handle the Lexus hybrid vehicle advertising and positioning.

Let me make a suggestion. Loan the team that created this spot to Team One.

jonathan March

May 16, 2009 6:35 PM

love the car.
>HATElove the car.
>HATE

Its like a frightening acid trip.
Very nightmareish.

Andrew Henry

May 18, 2009 7:23 PM

wow, what an amazing visual world these people have created. good to see some stimulating advertising out there for a change.

l friedlander

May 19, 2009 7:45 AM

Jonathan 'HATER' March-What in the world didn't you like about the wonderfully dreamy Prius ads?   Or, is it that you're still an employee on staff at the Honda advertising agency?Larry FriedlanderFairfield County, Connecticut

larry friedlander

May 19, 2009 10:34 AM

Andrea

May 20, 2009 2:08 PM

I wanted to like this ad but got a strange creepy feeling from watching it. Not sure why, it just made me feel ill at ease.

Mili R

June 10, 2009 1:39 AM

I agree that this a wonderful, innovative ad. Not only is it visually stimulating, but it's also very effective. I avoid channel surfing hoping a prius ad will show up. It reminds me of the Beijing performance at the closing ceremonies.

teegee

August 2, 2009 9:12 PM

Mili - exactly what I was thinking! I've been wondering if whoever designed the Beijing ceremonies had something to do with these commercials. They really are visually stunning.

Lizzy Tish

August 27, 2009 8:26 AM

Personally, I think the commercials are BRILLIANT! They're vibrantly colorful, well orchestrated, and def get their point across. The music is spot on, too. I truly don't understand why anyone would feel ill at ease, the people look like Anne Geddes portraits...