Madden’s Still In The Game

Posted by: Burth Helm on April 16, 2009

What does John Madden’s retirement mean for Electronic Arts, the maker of the eponymous football video game?

madden.jpg

Geoff Gloeckler, staff editor here at BusinessWeek, made some calls and passes along some thoughts, which I’m posting here:

Earlier today, John Madden announced that he was retiring from NBC Sports, effective immediately. The long-time NFL player, coach, and broadcaster has made a name for himself not only in the world of football, but also as a video game icon as the face behind the ultra popular Madden NFL franchise from EA Sports. Will Madden’s retirement from the broadcast booth also mean retirement from the video game realm? According to EA Sports, the answer is no. “Madden has a long-term contract with the company,” says an EA spokesperson. “EA will continue to work with John, as they have for the past two decades, on the making of the Madden NFL game. That will not change any time soon.”

In a statement, EA Sports head Peter Moore says: “John’s a true sports icon who has made an indelible impact on the sport of football which will be felt forever. His prolific coaching and broadcasting careers, as well as his distinct role in shaping the EA SPORTS football experience have redefined how multiple generations have come to know and love the sport with unrivaled passion. We’re excited to see his legacy live on in the 21st year of Madden NFL football, and well beyond. It’s been a privilege for EA SPORTS to have had the strong relationship we’ve had with John for more than two decades and one that will continue into the future.”

In twenty years, the Madden franchise has sold more than 70 million copies, making it the all-time best selling video game franchise in North America. The 2010 version is scheduled to be released August 14.

Bk

April 16, 2009 4:21 PM

U will be missed, Madden.

AL

April 16, 2009 5:41 PM

I am sorry, but Madden was one of the worst announcers that I have ever heard in my life. Brett Favre, Brett Favre, Did i mention Brett Favre?

Mrs. Black's Boy

April 16, 2009 5:52 PM

You will be missed, John......
NO ONE CAN REPLACE YOU.
BEST of health and luck in your future endeavors!

Mrs. Black's Boy

April 16, 2009 6:38 PM

John:-
You will be sorely missed!
One thing for sure no one can ever replace
you...YOU ARE ONE IN A MILLION.....
Good luck and good health in your future endeavors.

Bernard Voss

April 16, 2009 6:39 PM

Just one comment the madden series is not by far the best selling game franchise in North America. The nintendo mario franchise is much larger, and then we only count the classic mario platform games and not alle the mario spin offs like sport games and RPG.

According to vgchartz these are the cross platform (alle different platforms) sales for both mario and madden.
Mario 110 million copies sold in North America and Madden 41.76 million copies sold in North America even Nintendo pokeman has sold more copies in 42,35 million

BTW I love madden

John Parker

April 16, 2009 9:05 PM

I think it is good that Madden is retiring. Perhaps now they will get some young fresh talent in the door. Personally, I prefer Hockey to any other sport and I love to talk about Hockey all day at work at nam. I also know who I can trust by how long they will listen to me drone on about when I played Hockey, ah the Glory Days. Where I work the only older people that report to me are sheep. They dare not speak up against me because that is not being a TEAM player and they will get fired by HR. That is what should have been done with Madden, thrown out like the old trash he is. He was probably a union member, that is why he was not fired.

Jim

April 16, 2009 10:15 PM

I heard Madden's a pompous windbag. His success has gone to his head. For instance, when he departs the booth in a stadium and has to ride in an elevator, he demands to have the elevator to himself.
Harry Kalas from the Phillies was an example of someone who did not forget his roots and whom he is there to serve -- the fans. We Miss You Harry!

Nottadumass