An Open Letter To CNN's Amy Holmes

Posted by: David Kiley on November 1, 2008

I was watching the 10/31 installment of “Real Time With Bill Maher” during which the discussion naturally centered on the election.

Guest and conservative commentator Amy Holmes, who is a contributor to CNN, was insinuating that Barack Obama has a Messiah complex. She cited a speech he gave that she calls his “Moses Speech,” in which she said Obama talked about the idea that his Presidency will make “the seas will recede and the planet will heal.”

Maher and fellow-guest Cornell West doubted her. She said “Google it.”

So, I did.

Here is the text of Obama’s speech on June 3 that Holmes refers to:

The journey will be difficult. The road will be long. I face this challenge with profound humility, and knowledge of my own limitations. But I also face it with limitless faith in the capacity of the American people. Because if we are willing to work for it, and fight for it, and believe in it, then I am absolutely certain that generations from now, we will be able to look back and tell our children that this was the moment when we began to provide care for the sick and good jobs to the jobless; this was the moment when the rise of the oceans began to slow and our planet began to heal; this was the moment when we ended a war and secured our nation and restored our image as the last, best hope on earth. This was the moment—this was the time—when we came together to remake this great nation so that it may always reflect our very best selves and our highest ideals. Thank you, God bless you, and may God bless the United States of America.

Ms. Holmes, intellectual honesty has been in short supply this election season. I thought you were better than this. Is there any doubt that Obama was referring to taking charge of environmental policy from the global warming denying Bush Administration, and not having a messiah moment? This is barely Hannity-worthy. Give me a break.

Carlos

November 1, 2008 9:37 AM

I Googled it too, which is how I found your site.

I watched Real Time this morning on a DVR and couldn’t stop pausing it to bitch and moan with my girlfriend. Holmes is stunningly ignorant for an educated person. As if the false attribution of a quote wasn’t bad enough – she defended criticism of Palin’s intelligence and readiness to serve as VP by touting Palin’s role and abilities as a campaign cheerleader. Pathetic.

Brian Nowhere

November 1, 2008 10:32 AM

Thanks for clarifying. I saw that last night and went to google "moses Speech" and was brought here.

She made it sound like Obama was claiming supernatural powers. If that would have been true I would have been concerned. The man was talking about the environment and how if we start right now by electing someone who actually wants to do something about it that one day we can look back and pinpoint this time as the moment we stopped talking and started doing something about it.

No God complex there. Just more right wing talking points, taking things out of context because that's the only way they can make their ideas seem palatable.

Jim Boynton

November 1, 2008 10:38 AM

Thank you for your letter Mr. Kiley. I too saw the Mahar show and did google it and your letter came up. Thanks for your finding it for me because I just "knew" that he wouldn't say the things that Ms. Holmes accused him of. Like so many conservatives, she took the words out of context and passed it off as him being a Messiah. Her obvious lack of nuetrality on the issue makes me wonder about CNN as being an unbiased media. Is it turning into FOX II ???

Gonzo

November 1, 2008 11:21 AM

I had to also google it after hearing it on Bill Maher, she did seem to leave out the fact that he was saying that generations from now people would be saying that this is the point in time when people woke up and took responsibility for their actions and things in the country and around the globe started to change.

Larry Hill

November 1, 2008 12:32 PM

Thanks, Dave.

Until last night, I had respected, although disagreed with Holmes most of the time.

Now I'll write to Maher asking him to bring on Christopher Hitchens instead.

I'd rather see him give the audience the bird than watch Holmes challenge their intelligence with such pandering.

Ian

November 1, 2008 1:13 PM

I too was following Ms Holmes's advice and "googling" the speech. Maybe she thought no one would actually do it? Thanks for posting this and putting it into context.

Ichooseme

November 1, 2008 1:20 PM

I, too, am aghast that Ms. Holmes could misinterpret Senator Barack Obama's words and based on that, go to the conclusion that he has a Messiah complex. And, then, I should have known not to be suckered in by a right-wing spokesperson. So, I have a gullibility complex, I admit.

Phil Danse

November 1, 2008 2:30 PM

DITTO !!

HEAR ! HEAR !

Amy Holmes belongs on Fixed News.

Brandt Flanagan

November 1, 2008 2:36 PM

Thank you David for creating this open letter...i of course founde this after hearing Amy make such a bold claim about Obama's messianic complex and encouraging me to go to google to prove the validity of what she was saying

i knew she would be wrong, and yeah, maybe we're parsing a bit here, but you give people like us FULL AUTONOMY to nitpick to our heart's desire with claims such as:

"he said those words, go to google, I encourage everyone go to google, type it up and look at it"

whaddya know? He didn't say those words, what's more?? the similar words he did use were absolutely not spoken in the manner and context in which Amy Holmes brought them up last night.

its very difficult to refrain from calling her one of a multitude of names, but i will

Rachel Case

November 1, 2008 2:40 PM

Thank you! I was watching Bill Maher and this was driving me crazy. It's a shame they couldn't have called her on it there.

Shelintx

November 1, 2008 3:16 PM

I have to wonder if Holmes has either seen or heard the text of the actual speech. I have been closely following this presidential campaign, and I could not remember hearing anything in a speech even proximally related to what she contends Obama stated. Of course certain words are similar, but with a completely different connotation. And with the exhortation to "Google it", I can only conclude one of two things: 1) She has been victimized by Republican talking points, and thus not as thorough a researcher as her present capacity would require; or 2) her independent conservatism is less independent and more conservative.

mia25

November 1, 2008 5:22 PM

While googling to look for this reference after watching the same Bill Maher episode as you....I found this post. Which is honestly exactly what I expected to find having listened to Obama speak on many occasions and always being profoundly edified by not just what was being said...but about how raw and refreshing it was to not hear another politician say he was going to work hard for us in Washington like some kinda of megalomaniac "maverick" blind with power enough to believe he can fix this mess all by himself. WE ARE THE CHANGE WE HAVE BEEN WAITING FOR AND OUR TIME IS NOW!

Here are two quotes that I was reminded of by last nights Real Time. (Thanks Andy and Bob)

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness, that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, and fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small doesn't serve the world. There's nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine, as children do. We are born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It's not just in some of us, it's in everyone. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others."

-Marianne Williamson

also

To put the world right in order, we must first put the nation in order; to put the nation in order, we must first put the family in order; to put the family in order, we must first cultivate our personal life; we must first set our hearts right.

- Confucius

John Legends song at the close of the show....utter perfection.

"If you out there....sing along with me!"

Thanks for the clarity!

Nick

November 1, 2008 5:55 PM

I'm glad I wasn't the only person that was interested in seeing whether or not Ms. Holmes' claim held water. Although she is extremely intelligent and poised under fire, I feel that she says things that are "sound-bite worthy" and most of her random musings are throwaway quotes. As an African American it is great to see that there are (black) conservatives and liberals are getting an equal amount of airtime, which I hope will demonstrate to the public at large that we are not a community with homogeneous thoughts and beliefs.

john doe

November 1, 2008 6:31 PM

i watched her performance on real time also, she made me sick to my stomach. she is either an awful person or an awfully stupid person.

sh4dow

November 1, 2008 8:35 PM

thank you for that clarification, while watching the show, i already dismissed it as yet another lie conservatives like to tell (as bill maher put it just a couple of weeks ago - he can't be sure about certain facts because conservatives on his show sometimes tend to make shit up) but it's good to see proof.

there's just one thing i'm wondering about... i haven't seen holmes for the first time on real time and bill called her intelligent multiple times (though by now i'm wondering if he's just being cynical) and you also talk about how you thought she was better than this.
am i the only one who notices that often times, her arguements tend to be lacking in logic? like for example when she defended palin.
bill also has asked her a few times if she actually believes those things... and if she really does - how can somebody who blindly believes illogical things be intelligent?
of course if she does realize that most of the things she says lack substance and she's just being populist - well, i guess that's even worse than being unintelligent.

Sharon Williams

November 2, 2008 12:58 AM

How typical of the Republican spin this campaign. The speech is a lyrical call to arms for Americans. No name calling, no gutter sputtering, no fear mongering. Just a call for the American people to put aside fear and self-interest and work for the future of our country. The Moses speech? How sad that she can't see it for what it is. Her Republican ideology has twisted her vision.

Dan Walter

November 2, 2008 1:48 AM

Thank goodness someone is an actual fact checker.

Frieda Hernandez

November 2, 2008 1:52 AM

David, thanks so much for clarifying that distortion. I respect Amy Holmes, although I don't always agree with her views. Now it seems that she too is willing to stoop to the big lie tactics of desperation. Very disappointing.

Frank Loweser

November 2, 2008 8:35 AM

The most disgusting and dispiriting thing about modern politics is this kind of crap...taking any snippet of a sentence and ripping it out of context. Makes my blood boil.

KristyZ

November 2, 2008 9:19 AM

Did anyone else catch, on this same episode of Real Time, Amy Holmes stating FDR was President during the Stock Market Crash of 1929. Why didn't anyone call her out on that incredibly ignorant comment! You can Google it!

Mike Moriarty

November 2, 2008 12:06 PM

The worst part is that Ms. Holmes presens herself as an "independent" analyst despite her obvious bias. She should at least admit what she is, a Republican shill. Am I imagining things or is CNN in general showing a more conservative bias?

DL in LA

November 2, 2008 12:14 PM

There is a saying that, "a heap sees, but a few know". I'm glad that those posting here took the time to research as Ms. Holmes suggested. We can now say that a few more know! Here is the link to the "ad" from the McCain campaign where it is their claim about Barack Obama and not his claim. http://www.youtube.com/watch

H. J. Hargis

November 2, 2008 2:38 PM

When I heard the comment by Ms. Holmes, I too went straight for the computer to locate this obvious and direct quote. Like the rest, I could find no such thing.

These comments, however, remind me of the roast that Obama did of himself last month. During the roast, he advised the crowd, when explaining, "who is Obama," that although some argue he was born in a manger, he was not. He was the son of Jarel from Krypton...

Obama cannot control what other say of him or think of him, but Ms. Holmes should be careful in projecting her views and ideas into his mind and mouth.

It is a sad state of our country when a statesman, regardless of his name or religion, cannot run for office without his opponents questioning his love of the country principally because of his foreign-sounding name and his religion. I was happy to see Ms. Holmes redeem herself by making the point that if Obama were a Muslim, it should not preclude him from high office. However, I am still shocked there are those in our nation that do not believe Obama that he is a Christian! Is this not the basis for the conservative republican bias against him – i.e. the words of his Reverend?

If only our nation believed in the freedoms, liberty, and hope so blatantly stated in the Constitution, the Bill of Rights, and the reason for separation from Great Britain, perhaps the state of our nation would not be so battered, bruised, and in need of healing.

Ellen Cole

November 2, 2008 2:39 PM

Thanks, Mr. Kiley, and all you bloggers. It's great to see all these refutations of Amy Holmes's preposterous and malicious misquotation and misinterpretation. The problem is that not all of Maher's viewers will read these comments. Holmes's views will spin out of control and end up on Fox News, and many will assume that Holmes stands on solid ground when she dares us to "google it". After all, she did dare us to google it. Someone backstage should have googled it on the spot. Maybe Maher should set up such a system for the future. Think about it.
Comments like Holmes cannot be allowed to stand.

Susan Hunter

November 2, 2008 4:04 PM

Thank you for posting your open letter -like so many others, I could not believe her assertion about Obama's Messiah moment. I, too, googled the reference and found your letter. Very heartening to see someone who bothers to get the facts - and context - out. Very disheartening that Ms. Holmes feels no compunction about nationally broadcasting what she must know is untrue.

Kevin Archer

November 2, 2008 6:06 PM

I think Bill must have a massive crush on Amy Holmes because he has her on at least twice per season. And to be honest I can't stand her. She is the most full of garbage talking head out there - but what should we expect from a speech writer for Bill Frist. You may remember him as the Senator that intruded into the Shaivo case by diagnosing her from afar. These people are morons and need to be out of government permanently. No more Republican nonsense please.

Cassandra

November 2, 2008 10:09 PM

I'm so glad I followed her advice to google and was led here! It sounded like bs. She is smart enough to know better. So I can only assume that she is desperate to keep some status as the pretty African American conservative woman. I didn't know her name till Bill Maher. Why are conservatives so liberal with the lies?

Cassandra

November 2, 2008 10:10 PM

Pennsylvania Voter

November 2, 2008 11:26 PM

Amy Holmes also suggested on "Real Time with Bill Maher" that Obama favored removing the cap on social security taxes on incomes above $104,000. No such plans appear on barackobama.com.

Cam Wahoa

November 3, 2008 5:51 AM

Same show here. I just watched the aforementioned snippet on YouTube and took up Holmes challenge.

I also, by the way, triple-checked your source for the speech. You are, in fact, correct. Good job.

I will forever be grateful for the internet's ability to assist ferreting out and cross-checking facts.

Concerned citizen

November 3, 2008 6:54 AM

Amy Holmes should be ashamed of herself. She called everyone out by challenging people to Google it. Lo and behold - she had COMPLETELY twisted his words around. Instead of Barack talking about taking charge of our environmental policies she made it seem as if he was promoting himself as the second coming. Ms. Holmes - you are losing the respect of Americans everywhere when you LIE to us.

Jim Jordan

November 3, 2008 4:15 PM

RE: why lying idiots are invited on Real Time...

So that they can be exposed as lying idiots.

It is of great reassurance that so many viewers of Real Time are intelligent enough to question fluff when they see/hear it. I suppose it would be nifty if Bill Maher could have an 'errata' segment on each show to correct a previous episode's comments but that wouldn't be 'Real Time' and I suspect half of his guests would be scared to appear again. Thank goodness Google helps us live in real time. Kudos to David.

Conservatives for conserving the continued destruction of America

November 3, 2008 5:06 PM

For an educated woman, and political analyst like Ms. Holmes, who is supposedly debating from an unbiased perspective to blatantly take a quotation out of context is very troubling to me.

Conservatives are well known for purporting distorted, often false information, however this election has brought about a new era in deceit, and manipulation. Republicans in 2008 have consistently stuck their foot in their mouth, by repeating day after day, completely manipulated, often false information about their opponents. Elizabeth Dole impersonating the voice of Kay Hagan in an advertisement attempting to link Ms. Hagan to atheism & "godless americans", McCain & Palin creating misleading, sometimes non-existent relationships between Obama, and certain "radicals"

The media will disprove a specific allegations on one day, and on the following day, the GOP instead of repealing their misleading allegations, will instead increase the severity of the accusations, by creating even more propaganda to be spread around to the ignorant masses, in hopes of gaining votes.

Thank God this pathetic tactic has not had the same effect it has in the past, and in fact, has only proven to hurt their numbers in the polls. The era of fear tactics, and the controlling influence of the GOP is on the downfall, and America can finally begin to make forward progress, instead of being stuck in a constant filibuster.

Mary Murphy

November 3, 2008 7:27 PM

On the October 31 episode of Real Time, Amy Holmes talked and made comments as if she was the expert on the panel. However, did anyone else catch her comment about FDR being President in 1929 during the stock market crash?

Jennifer C

November 3, 2008 9:05 PM

Thank you for posting this here. Amy Holmes' statements were so preposterous that I could barely listen to the show because she was making me sick. I think the above writer that suggested someone backstage should instantly google false statements and call panel members on them is a great plan. It is unfortunately true that if you fling enough mud some of it will stick. Hopefully, enough people have researched the facts of the candidate's campaigns to vote for real change.

Thenryb

November 3, 2008 10:17 PM

She is even worse than Tucker Carlson, albiet better looking. I wish Maher would balance his panel with more thoughtful conservatives.

Lorene

November 3, 2008 11:54 PM

You are so right, KristyZ. I was just wondering if anyone else heard her comment about FDR. Princeton should demand she stop claiming to have graduated from their school. It gives them a bad name.

Scott

November 4, 2008 11:33 AM

Yes, Amy Holmes proved herself to be yet another either ignorant or manipulative conservative with her "Moses speech" bullshit on Real Time. BUT...those of you bringing up this comment of hers about FDR and the 1929 stock market crash...she was trying to refer to one of Biden's gaffes where he said something to that effect. She didn't quite get things across clearly (or she was trying to make Biden's gaffe sound even worse than it was), and there were others talking at the time so her whole point was kind of dropped, but she definitely was not trying to say that FDR was president in 1929.

Jamal

November 4, 2008 1:17 PM

Well, I did a search on "Obama 'waters shall recede'" and I did find a speech with messianic leanings:

"He will lead the people out of the bondage of Capitalism and into the Pure Light of a new consciousness, where all things are held in common, where all sickness will be cured by caring doctors and compassionate public health service nurses. The Wealthy shall give to the poor, until there is no wealth. The artificial borders that separate the peoples of the Earth will be nullified, and the Earth herself will begin to heal. The waters shall recede, the sun shall smile on a green and fertile land." http://www.thepeoplescube.com/red/viewtopic.php?t=2056

Except for a few points:
1) Obama doesn't say this, a new age supporter does,
2) The article and the website is a complete joke: "The People's Cube"

The site has a quote attributed to Rush Limbaugh, "The Stalinist version of The Onion."

There is nothing on the page that can be taken seriously, however I could see the speech making the junk mail rounds until somebody believed that's what Obama actually said. But, in 21st century politics fact checking os all but dead.

Fairysister

November 6, 2008 2:54 AM

I too watched "Bill Maher" and I feel sorry for those that take her word for it, spread it around, and show there ignorant ass/stupidity.without looking it up and finding nothing. Some people just have nothing better to do,or have no smarts better to try doing it with.

Nick

November 6, 2008 4:13 AM

Amy Holmes lied!
She said, "[Obama] said he would make the seas recede". BS. He said nothing of the sort.

GOP whore. She needs to check her roots and find where the truth lies.

Nick

November 6, 2008 4:14 AM

Amy Holmes may be wrong on this subject, but she is one DAMN FINE woman. lol.

Gorgeous.

Felix

November 7, 2008 12:39 PM

I like Amy Holmes. She's BEAUTIFUL! She's also intelligent, so it's hard for me not to like her. I saw that installment of Bill Maher on Halloween night. When she made her "Moses Speech" comments I really just dismissed it because I didn't believe it would be true.

The night that Obama won the presidency, CNN showed video clips of his campaign. They showed him say "...that this was the moment when the rise of the oceans began to slow and our planet began to heal." and I knew instantly that he was speaking on ending global warming. If she had quoted his entire statement and not just half of one sentence, she also would have noticed that he said "if we are willing to work for it".

My opinion of Amy Holmes dropped at that "moment". She is too intelligent to not know that he was speaking about global warming and not talking about walking on water. She took his words out of context, and I believe she did it intentionally. I began searching for an email address for Amy but never found one. So here is where I ultimately file my complaint.

Thanks

Andrew

November 7, 2008 5:55 PM

You people are so smart, sitting at your computer and google checking everything a dim witted talking head says on the most liberal show on television. What you fail to realize is that when someone consistently talks as if he were the saviour of the free world, he does come off to people as having a "messiah complex". Maybe instead of fact checking what others are saying, you should fact check your "knight in shining armour". Oh by the way, he does want to eliminate the cap on social security tax, according to your bible of truth. MSNBC http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21739271/

Felix

November 7, 2008 11:54 PM

I need to correct myself. Since Amy referred to Obama's speech as a "Moses Speech", I should say that Obama was speaking about global warming and not about parting any seas. In my previous comment I inadvertently switched biblical characters when I mentioned that Obama was not speaking about walking on water. I just want to make sure that I use the correct corresponding metaphors.

Murat

November 9, 2008 12:20 AM

"I watched Real Time this morning on a DVR and couldn’t stop pausing it to bitch and moan with my girlfriend."

Carlos, when I read that I wanted to cry tears of joy. I just finished watching Bill Maher and suffice it to say that I and my girl, who is trying to quit smoking, went through a pack.

Everything she said was ridiculous, not just this "Moses speech" slime. For instance, she is obviously intelligent enough to know that people are not "talking about Sarah Palin because she captured our imagination", what a masterful spin!

So Amy Holmes is knowingly playing a partisan hack. I truly wonder how she sleeps at night. "At long last, have you no shame?"

Sam

November 9, 2008 3:51 AM

Awesome job,Bro. She is dam cute though. Its hard to be mad at her.

Sally

November 10, 2008 3:48 PM

Thanks so much for posting about this.

I was also disturbed by Amy Holmes' assertion and her challenge to "Google it". I think the idea was just to confidently repeat the messiah-related Republican talking points. To me, the whole messiah rap sounded like an extension of calling Obama elitist or uppity. The opportunity to lie just a few days before the election, with limited time to be corrected, must have proven too tempting.

Even after the election, Monica Crowley mentioned Obama's messiah complex on The McLaughlin Group. Seems to be just another talking point. If enough people say the same thing, people will believe it, right? What a desperate strategy. I wish the talking point lovers would take some debate classes to learn how to make an original and effective argument, or maybe create or join a party with a platform strong enough to stand without the use of synchronized lies.

Is Amy Holmes intelligent? How could anyone tell? If she's just repeating talking points, we never hear the real Amy. She could be an idiot or a genius. The fact that she is willing to lie with the hope of altering an election tells me something about her character and her respect for democracy, but it tells me nothing about her intelligence.

Kevin

November 11, 2008 9:04 AM

Andrew, thanks for teeing that one up...but if you want to find someone who talks like the messiah, look to the guy about to leave the White House...the one who gets his stance on foreign policy from direct talks with the lord.

Foreign Correspondent

November 20, 2008 9:03 AM

I'm a viewer from Australia so unfortunately have only just seen this episode tonight -- Comedy Channel's tardiness... -- and am curious after following Amy's suggestion to "Google it", has there been any PUBLIC apology by Amy Holmes for misquoting and misrepresenting your now new President-elect Obama? Also a little embarrassing for someone with an Economics degree from Princeton to not know who was President during the '29 market crash... It's a shame the Real-time season has ended -- although not for down under just yet -- as I would have liked to send this link to Bill Maher for his comment and inevitable ridicule on his most interesting HBO show!

Congratulations America on instilling a President who can actually communicate and appears to possess the ability to "think"...

P.J. Erwin

November 21, 2008 2:15 PM

I took your challenge and went back to listen to the WHOLE speech, the ENTIRE context of this comment cited by Amy Holmes. There’s a lot there to comment on, especially now that the makeup of Obama’s administration is beginning to take shape, the policies of his administration are beginning to be clarified and the expectations of his administration are being lowered. In the end, the WHOLE CONTEXT of the speech IS how his selection, which he refers to throughout the speech as “this moment,” “marks... the beginning of… a journey that will bring a new and better day to America… because tonight I can stand here and say that I will be the Democratic nominee for the President of the United States of America… at this defining moment for our nation…“ The moment when he was selected as the Democrat candidate for President is the moment which provides context to his quote. He said, “…we will be able to look back and tell our children that this was the moment [the moment of his selection] when we began…” Obama’s comment about slowing the rise of the oceans and healing the world were offered in the context he offered it, the moment of his selection at the Democrat Nation Convention. Moses-hood and Messiah-ship were simply unnecessary escalations of Obama’s own hyperbole. Here are a couple of simple questions to illustrate. When did Americans begin to provide healthcare for the sick? Americans, especially through the Red Cross and faith-based hospitals, have ALWAYS done that. When did Americans begin to provide jobs to the jobless? Americans, especially those “greedy corporations” and “wealthiest Americans,” have ALWAYS provided jobs for the jobless. This is not the moment when that finally began.
But let’s look at the further context of these comments. In the speech, Obama extolled the Democrat Party for “put[ting] forth one of the most talented and most qualified fields of individuals ever to run for office.” The subtle message: I am not only one of the most talented and most qualified individuals ever to run for office, I am, in fact, THE most talented and qualified.
He said that those who selected him recognized that “change must come to Washington” and they “stood up for change today.” During the primary, he presented the ones he ran against as the old faces of the party and government while he was the “face of change,” yet in this speech he said these are the very people who will lead the party and the country into the future and yet he is selecting them along with old Clinton administration people and old Democrat Party personalities and personnel to head his administration. He said his “running mates” in the primary are the leaders of the Democrat Party and the ones the nation will look to for leadership. He said that this election is “not just about a change of party in Washington… but about the need to change Washington.” Yet Hillary Clinton, he said, will, in fact, be central to “win[ning] the fight for universal health care” and to “transform[ing] our energy policy and… lift[ing] our children out of poverty” during his administration. “This moment that will define a generation, we cannot afford to keep doing what we have been doing… We owe our country… our children a better future… Let us unite to chart a new course for America.” And in the midst of waxing eloquent about all this change, how did he define that change? A return to “the legacy of Roosevelt, Truman and Kennedy, that’s what change is…” Of course, Roosevelt led us into WWII, Truman was the first President to use nuclear weapons in a war and Kennedy led the US into Viet Nam. And he acclaimed the legacy “when Bill Clinton was President.” Who wants that?
Obama made a big deal about McKain’s voting record of 95% agreement with the Bush Administration while ignoring that he voted in agreement with that administration 75% of the time – when wasn’t simply voting “present” – then followed that with a bunch of the same old Democrat political rhetoric, which is factually questionable at best and factually incorrect at worst.
Finally, he defined his change as “refocusing our efforts on Al-Qaida’s leadership in Afghanistan, and rallying the world against the common threats of the 21st century: terrorism and nuclear weapons; climate change and poverty; and genocide and disease. That’s what change is… realizing that meeting today’s threats requires not just our fire power, but the power of our diplomacy… tough diplomacy where the President of the United States isn’t afraid to let any petty dictator know where America stands and what we stand for… [and] have the courage to once again lead the world…“ Change is the government giving “healthcare to everyone who wants it” and giving them “cheaper premiums.”
He went into all the kinds of things he said he has done “in his two-decades of public life,” all things McKain has been doing during his tenure in DC.
He spoke about making the oil companies pay for their record profits, yet what is the only major industry not seeking a government bailout right now? “Big Oil” can stand on its own in tough times without handouts from the government because they worked for the best interests of their shareholders [like you and me] and planned ahead for their own capitalization.
He also said that Americans didn’t want “another election governed by fear and innuendo and division,” but immediately defined the Republican, accusing them of “us[ing] religion as a wedge and patriotism as a bludgeon” and seeing their political opponents as “enemies to polarize.” Yet, he and the Democrat leaders did those very things themselves during the months between the primary and the general election.

Alex

December 6, 2008 1:00 AM

I have but three comments to make.

1) I'm happy that Amy's challenge to all of us to "Google It" actually prompted action by so many of us. Thank you David for writing the open letter.

2) I worry about a few of the other folks who commented on this open letter by saying how attractive Amy is. I'm fairly certain that's how Sarah Palin gained WAY more traction than she ever should have.

3) P.J. Erwin, who commented on November 21st seems (SEEMS) to have an intellectual insight and seems to have done quite a bit of research. So, how is it in all that research P.J. did, not once did P.J. come across a correct spelling of Obama's opponent's name. Even after all his years in Senate, being a war hero, and taking a run at the presidency more than once, McCain lost the precious virtue of his name to "McKain." Honestly, P.J. You had me interested (not convinced, but interested) until that.

smore

January 28, 2009 10:32 PM

I'm sure every single one of you that commented here are Democrats that voted for Obama. Shame on you, not Amy! Obama has been treated like the "chosen one" and has been since he came out of nowhere especially by the left wing news media. Democrats have placed a person in office without the experience to handle such a leadership position. Leave Amy alone. She's the only person on CNN that has any sense and actually knows what she's talking about with the economy. She's also fair. All I can say about everything is God Bless America because we are going to need it!

David Sobel

January 31, 2009 1:19 AM

I can only hope Amy is reading all these emails and realizing that not everyone in the world thinks she's as fabulous as she thinks she is. One of the most irritating women ever seen on television. I want to go all Cary Grant and smash a grapefruit into her face every time she speaks. She needs to sew hour mouth shut and pose for Playboy.

From Kiley: I think you mean....James Cagney....not Cary Grant.

G. Hall

February 6, 2009 11:32 PM

I would like to know Why Amy Holmes when she is speaking about our new president straight out calls him Barak Obama instead of President Obama.
It sounds disrespectful. I think the CNN family should bring this to her attention and that she should make an effort to call him President Obama instead of just Barak Obama.

Felix

February 27, 2009 2:23 AM

Smore, I'm sure you are quite aware that the main thing on people's minds on November 4, 2008 was the economy. So when we went to the polls, we wanted to elect the best candidate that we thought would be able to find a way to turn our economy around. With our economy in a recession, heading towards a depression, we expect our president to be the person to lead the way towards recovery. After all, federal bills won’t become laws without the president’s signature. And we could only elect one president, so yes I guess President Obama is the chosen one. How many presidents did you choose in the general election?

Robert Heron

March 20, 2009 9:53 PM

Friday, 20th March 2009

I just watched Amy Holmes on the Larry King Show pontificating on President Obama.

Oh Boy! Corporate cutesy girl should remember that opinions are like assholes — we've all got one.

Get a life, Amy, and button your lip until you've grown up.

Regards,