Skechers Signs American Idol's David Cook

Posted by: David Kiley on July 10, 2008

david-cook.jpg

Skechers USA has signed American Idol winner David Cook to endorse the brand globally, hoping the new idol will super-charge the athletic shoe company’s cool, hip brand image.

I actually think this is a good move by Skechers. Idol, despite its detractors, is still a powerful entertainment vehicle. And Cook is a much stronger talent and personality than the last two winners—Jordin Sparks and Taylor Hicks.

The Cook deal was announced just a month after analyst firm Wedbush Morgan Securities lowered Skecher’s rating to “Buy” from “Strong Buy” because “a potential shift toward more athletic styles could pressure sales of the company’s core low profile product,” says Wedbush Morgan Securities analyst Jeff Mintz. The downgrade has contributed to a subsequent drop in Skechers stock price.

But the Cook deal can help, just as American Idol’s top-ten is on a national tour.

Because of derision of Idol in the mass media news shows, some analysts and experts say a deal with Cook is risky in case he becomes a joke. I would have said that about Taylor Hicks, because, he…well…did become a joke.

But Cook strikes me as having staying power if he is managed and produced right.

The endorsement deal gives Skechers exclusive worldwide rights to advertise footwear using Cook’s image. The campaign, which launches fall 2008, will run through December 2009, using print, outdoor and in-store ads that feature the 25-year-old artist in various Skechers styles that reflect his interests and style.

If Skechers plays it right, some of those ads will gently but comedically poke fun at the Idol franchise, and maybe engage Idol followers with some inside jokes. God knows, there must be jokes that can be created around David Archuleta and Jason Castro.

Cynthia

July 10, 2008 5:21 PM

Cookie rocks! I like Jordin Sparks, but I agree he has a stronger talent. As for Taylor Hicks, I think he was last seen flitting around Broadway like a middle-aged Peter Pan.

Diane Carter

July 11, 2008 12:46 PM

Taylor Hicks must also think of himself as a joke as he happily laughs all the way to the bank.

Julie A.

July 11, 2008 1:54 PM

David Cook is truly amazing as a singer and also as a person. I have no doubt that he will fulfill all of his dreams as a singer. I am looking forward to watching him live on the tour!

ms.sonny

July 11, 2008 2:01 PM

I expected so much more from your magazine.

Please Take the time to do your homework.
Taylor Hicks is no joke.
He is a soulfoul/Harp Playing whiskey tenor singer just off a major American an International tour.
He has his early works coming out Aug 19 (check Amazon)

if that isn't enough
He has his fourth CD
coming out this fall.
He is currently bringing the House down on Broadway as "Teen Angel" in Grease.

He is in a harmonica documentry coming soon with many other great artists,
including Huey Lewis.
Need more facts?
He has a Concert CD about to be released that he did in San Franscico called "Whomp at the Warfield."
He has already been showcased witht hat on Direct TV pbs channels.

He is considering a Television show an His BHam Night Club opens next year.

There is more but I'm sure your journalistic eye has had it's fill.

lp

July 11, 2008 2:17 PM

Jordin Sparks is the best American Idol ever!!!!! come back to this page in a few years and you will agree with me...

Grannyfan

July 11, 2008 2:26 PM

You just might be the last one laughing after that insensitive comment about David Archuleta. I read just yesterday that he out-performed David Cook on the "Idol" tour in California. Perhaps you should think twice about such harsh judgements.

Barnsinger

July 11, 2008 2:51 PM

This is great news!!!!! I can't wait to see the ads. Skechers did such a great job on the Carrie ads, so I'm really excited to see what they're going to do with David. And no way will David ever become a joke. He's a mega-talented, serious musician, and he is headed for rock superstardom.

Carolle

July 11, 2008 3:11 PM

Here we are, another writer or two with his or her blank up his or her blank......Why people continue to insult Taylor, THE IDOL, is beyond my comprehension. FYI, Taylor's bringing in an astounding $150,000 in extra ticket sales per week on Broadway.
His appearance on the Capitol Fourth extravaganza brought down the house, he just keeps getting better and better while staying true to himself and his one of a kind Taylor style and keeps laughing all the way to the bank. As far as personality, Taylor is the tops and as far as talent, he is one of a kind, thank goodness. His upcoming releases will sell very well as us who enjoy REAL music will purchase his music. I like David Cook very much, he has his own special brand of music as does Taylor, this does not say one is better than the other. And if you remember, David was way below par on personality during Idol until a lot of people did a lot of training with him to bring him around to being pleasant. Here's to every middle aged Peter Pan in the world, may they continue to soar.
Carolle....

as

July 11, 2008 4:39 PM

I would happily PAY to see Taylor Hicks doing anything on Broadway (even flitting) The others not so much. Broadway KNOWS talent!!!!

erika guzman

July 11, 2008 4:49 PM

omg david your so hot i voted for you

keyli

July 11, 2008 5:07 PM

wow i wonder how it feels to be famos living the life with so much money a machine.im only a 12 year old girl who lives in a medium sized apartment.i know that all types off people tell u this stuff so u proably dont take itinto consideration.my dream is to become a famous dancer soon. too bad my mom cant afford it please dont laugh.anyway congrats.u proably read this stuff everyday.i live on imperial 12501 richmond apts in downey next to applo ark. i dont even know whyim telling u this if u proably dont care. byeee

mark

July 11, 2008 5:10 PM

David Cook representing Skechers is a JOKE..... David Archuleta was a track runner. Do your research first, guys!!!!

susan11

July 11, 2008 5:12 PM

You got that right Diane. After 2 back to back very successful tours Taylors busy bringing in an extra $150,000 a week to a Broadway show. A CD of his older original songs in August and a CD of new original songs in the fall. He is a happy man. He has so many diverse talents, he can always find a spot.

Shel

July 11, 2008 7:50 PM

Taylor Hicks, Mr. Uncool and Unhip himself could never sell Skechers. Maybe Brylcreem or Grecian Formula 16.

Annie

July 11, 2008 9:28 PM

i think david Archuleta should have won he has the voice im telling u...
i love u archiee :)

annie

July 11, 2008 9:31 PM

i think all the amrican idols have got talents or they would not be the idols
but david cook is the best i recon

Bob

July 12, 2008 12:26 AM

Taylor Hicks is not a joke. Just because he finished in front of Chris Daughtrey and Daughtrey had the most successful CD of the year, doesn't mean Taylor Hicks is a joke. His career is not over. It has just begun. Let's see where he is in five years before writing him off as a joke.

Erin

July 12, 2008 2:25 AM

Tween fans love Jordan Sparks, David Archuleta and Jason Castro. To poke fun at them would not be smart move for Skechers since the tweens are the ones that are Skechers main customers. Smarter move would be to incorporate all to add positive endorsements for the product. Cook is great , but it would only increase sales to respect the fans of all idols and not poke fun at any favorites.

Carol

July 12, 2008 7:30 AM

I agree Diane, have you seen the smile on his face, and the faces of his fans? Things just keep getting better and better for him. :)

Cyndie

July 12, 2008 8:54 AM

I love David Cook!!!! I think he will be a really good move for Sketcher. He has a strong versatile talent that appeals to a wider age range of fans than the last 2 years' Idol winners. He also is sooo photogenic and gives a believable, intelligent image in interviews. I am thrilled he is going to represent my favorite shoes.

robert edward schultz

July 12, 2008 10:21 AM

Taylor hicks is the best drummer ive ever seen. He,s also related to george looney.

Lynna Rwabs

July 12, 2008 12:43 PM

i liked Arculetta with all my heart.but cook wasnt bad...

Sandy Brink

July 12, 2008 2:46 PM

To the writer,david kiley and cynthia, do you think your comments about Taylor Hicks are clever and funny? If you do, then look in the mirror and slap the crap out of yourself, you both deserve it...The internet proves to be a great place for all the disgusting people,who cares not who they hurt.

As far as Taylor Hicks, he is a class act,and certainly does not deserve the junk that is written about him.

leigh

July 12, 2008 2:49 PM

I have been buying Skechers for my grandsons for back to school for the past years and I think for yound people to see david cooks' endorenment w/these shoes is going to be Huge. I like the fact that david cook is a bright,smart, talented musician who can sing "anything" you give him to sing-as well as being the handsome american boy whos' super vocabulary ofter goes over the heads of his interviewers-I wish him luck and success-What a great role model he is for young people.

Lisa

July 12, 2008 3:23 PM

Signing David Cook will be the best move Skechers has made in a while! David Cook a Joke? Are you Frikken kiddin me? David Cook is No joke! Hes the real deal, meaning the Whole Package! He already has a worldwide audience! Im positive he would survive without this endorsement, but hey ride it if you can!

adam

July 12, 2008 4:56 PM

I like the idea of David Cook and sketchers, but why the jokes around David Archuleta and Jason Castro? As an Archuleta/Cook fan, I thought the comments were not fair.

Archuleta should be endorsed by Converse since he wears those sneakers which most teens purchase, Phone Cos (with Angels as his network) and needless to say, toothpaste for that incredible smile to go with that incredible voice. Jason, maybe hair products or sine other sleep products since he always mentions he loves to sleep long hours. Or something that will highlight his beautiful eyes.

Amber

July 12, 2008 5:12 PM

I love David Cook!! (Im the one responsible for half of those 12 million winning votes) But a Skechers endorsement?! He could definatly pull it off with the beautiful looks he has! But, I personaly do not like Skechers, I think Skechers goes more toward the teenager affording nice (sorta) shoes on a low salary. Not the adult who can buy the whole store for his spoiled daughter! (But thats just my opinion)I agree with the journalist when he says that Cookie might become a joke. I dont want that to happen, so hopefully it doesnt!!
-THE ULTIMATE WORDNERD

Sindy

July 12, 2008 5:32 PM

How funny that the comments on a David Cook article are about Taylor Hicks? That shows that Tayloris the real celebrity here, and he is the toast of Broadway at this point with sellout crowds at Grease. So while you make degrading comments about Taylor (which were just to gain hits to your article anyway) you might notice the New York critics are saying he is worth an extra $150,000.00 in ticket sold each week! Seems Taylor is Big Business!

Susan

July 13, 2008 5:12 AM

Wow! Inside jokes re: David Archuleta and Jason Castro. This sounds like a lawsuit waiting to happen. Good luck with that one

julissa

July 13, 2008 5:32 AM

im a big fan

Kim

July 15, 2008 1:34 PM

I'm just curious what inside jokes you might be referring to about Jason Castro... I really hoping you don't mean him being forgetful or being a stoner. Because that would be truly ignorant. Most people aren't aware that he had an SAT score in the 1300s and does not use drugs. I'm just saying, people should do their research on the kid before they start insinuating things like that.

Matthew

July 17, 2008 8:42 AM

I have reasons to suggest that all these diehard Taylor Hicks fans are actually fans of Archies playing claymates. I have read it somewhere of them talking about posting abusive comments on all boards when David Cook is being praised - that they should never name Archie to protect his name. This particular case, I've read that they should come in to act as Taylor Hick's fans. Now if Taylor really does have all these diehard fans, why didn't they come out to defend him when Cook didn't get such high praise in some articles and when it ends up by saying 'Where's Taylor Hicks today'?