Men Making Asses of Themselves With Prep-H

Posted by: David Kiley on July 14, 2008

Preparation H apparently is one of those products being used for purposes its marketers did not intend. Men, and some women, are using it on their torsos and arms to appear more muscular.

Fox News’s Sean Hannity, says one source in the celebrity make-up industry, even uses it to whiten his teeth. That explains a lot.

Back in the 70s, women were found to be using Prep-H under their eyes to reduce puffiness.

Adweek today notes other for which consumers have found other uses. Bounce dryer sheets repells bugs? Who knew? Dawn dish detergent has become known for bird rescue (getting spilled crude oil out of their wings. Some people swear that WD-40 sprayed on their joints relieves arthritis. Ensure, originally formulated for elderly hospital and nursing home patients became popular among heroin addicts for being the only “food” they could choke down after a bender.

Feel free to comment to BND here on products you have found “other uses” for.

Chris

July 14, 2008 5:54 PM

Many of us could have told Sean Hannity that his mouth and his [hoo-ha] are interchangeable.

In other news, ExxonMobil has completed its purchase of Proctor and Gamble's Dawn diswashing detergent brand...

Thomas Short

July 15, 2008 11:02 AM

As the power of the consumer influence increases, it’s amazing to see how people find different ways to get multiple uses out of one product. Arm & Hammer finally caught on to people placing baking soda boxes in their refrigerator to control scents, and they developed a specialized product to fill the consumer need. Nowadays, people use dryer sheets to dust and Preparation H for body aesthetic. Because this notion of dual-use products is entirely controlled by the consumer, it’s no wonder people are starting to profit from this trend. I recently wrote a post on The Fight Against Destructive Spin blog that speaks to this phenomenon with Preparation H. What’s going to be next?

Culturally-Irrelevant

July 20, 2008 1:47 AM

David,

I thought this was actually pretty funny and being a Sean Hannity fan I actually posted a link to your article on one the forums on his official website thinking everybody would get a good friendly laugh out of it. No harm, no foul- that was my intent anyway.

Guess what happened because I linked to your article?

I just found out that I got 'perma-banned' and now I'm prevented from posting on Hannity's website . Yep, that's right I was perma-banned for linking to your article- no other reason but that alone states their MOD.

Freedom of speech, isn't so free after all.

From Kiley: No surprises here. I once joined Hannity's forum, as well, because I heard that his shock troops police his site with all the tolerance of Goebbels.I called up something Hannity was blathering about that was an absolute lie. I said it was a "lie" in the post, and went on to explain why. I too was banned.

The truth is that Hannity is not only a few cells short of a human, he also doesn't care too much for free speech or the facts.

culturally-irrelevant

July 21, 2008 12:45 PM

David,

Below is exactly what I got when I tried visit the forums @ Hannity.com this morning:

"You have been banned for the following reason: linking to Contempt of Host.

Date the ban will be lifted: Never"

random

July 21, 2008 1:28 PM

David and C-I, allow me to join you in the state of being unsurprised. Almost every pundit out there will ban anyone with dissenting facts or unflattering statements from his or her blog. Liberal pundits don't do it quite as often as their right wing counterparts, but are more than happy to subject dissenters to never ending ridicule from loyal fans after every post.

mr. natural

July 30, 2008 2:14 PM

It ain't just the right wing that's wrong.

Ed Schultz, a newly famous progressive radio host, runs his forums with the grim efficiency of an old line communist party apparatchik. Criticism of the host is barely tolerated. Criticism of presidential candidate Obama, a man Schultz has gifted with six straight months of obsequious flattery, is met by the aforementioned chorus of ill-informed ridicule from some of the most credulous simpletons ever to infect a Blog.

Kathleen Morse

November 11, 2008 12:20 PM

If someone has a marketing idea and another use for Dawn dish detergent who do you talk to.