Perhaps I'd be a Terrible Judge of On-Air talent

Posted by: David Kiley on January 1, 2007

2006_05_01-Rachel-Ray.jpg

I think it’s true. The ever bankable Rachel Ray does have a smile that reminds me of Jack Nicholson’s “Joker” character. Furthermore, I’ll join the chorus of those who thinks she is downright annoying, cloyingly sweet and a very limited talent in the kitchen.

What’s up with the Food Network and its choices of talent, and the apparent response of the audience? Or, maybe more to the point…what’s up with me? Another rising Food Network star, Paula Deen, is actually more irritating and annoying to me than Ray. ThatIs there anything more annoying than that over-the-top caricature of a kitchen-happy sappy, syrupy, Southern woman? Please….not while I’m eating. I should say here that I like the Food Network, and watch way too much food related TV. And as if Deen wasn’t bad enough, the FN is convinced that her no-talent, equally annoying sons are deserving of a show. It had to be in Deen’s contract. Perhaps they wouldn’t couldn’t get the money together to leave the house. The sons are, as Daniel Boorstin said, “are famous for the fact that they are well known.” Well, they are well known for the fact that their Mom is well known. This sort of celebrity by association or name brand is disgusting. Paging Paris Hilton, Giada DeLaurentis and George W. Bush.

Back to the possibility that I am a poor judge of who works well on camera. Bush got elected twice. Ray will soon surpass Rupert Murdoch for media properties. Deen is making herself and FN lots of money.

NutriSystem has been running an ad featuring a woman I want to see in my backyard just so I could have the pleasure of tossing an active beehive at her. It can’t be her personality or voice that keeps her on-camera husband in the picture. She catterwalls and shrieks about the few sizes she lost and how she can eat chocolate on the NutriSystem plan. Egad! Thank god for the mute button and DVR.

It’s all a humbug. Happy New Year.

trixie

January 4, 2007 6:06 PM

I think people are drawn to Rachel Ray because she is average. She reminds me of one of my best friends (sorry Amber), with her giddy, unassuming, tomboy attitude. I think anyone could come up with the menu items she prepares or crafts she does. But she's smilie & down-to-earth - and that's endearing. She seems like someone you could go out to dinner with at your local Denny's, you know, the type that would not be embarrased by eating out at a dive. Everyone would have a good time. That is what I think people see in that girl.

rocki

January 16, 2007 7:26 PM

You're right about the Nutrisystem girl. "Look at me. I'm a size two-uh." What a dingbat. I'd never consider doing business with a company that has no better judgment than to put somebody on their commercials who grates on everybody's nerves and sends you running for the remote control mute button.

Kitty

January 23, 2007 10:16 PM

ALL of the NutriSystem commercials are hideously irritating. The horrible shrieking "size 2" harridan has a voice that nearly shatters the glass on my TV screen. With her androgynous facial features, her overexposed capped teeth, her mugging and grimacing, her announcing that she "feels so sexy" when she now has to wear a padded bikini top to look halfway presentable in a bathing suit, she's enough to convince anybody to swear off all diets forever.

Then there's the men's version of NutriSystem, where some poor benighted male announces how much weight he's lost, and says that now his wife doesn't find him as disgusting. What kind of a horrible person would talk to his or her spouse that way? The commercial condones that type of reprehensible attitude and behaviour.

Their commercials are SO unbearable that I hope somebody organizes a PERMANENT boycott not only of NutriSystem, but of their ad agency, every actor or personality who has ever appeared in their commercials, and so on and so forth. Let's put those clowns out of business and bring some taste and civility back into our living rooms!

Jayne

April 10, 2007 1:32 PM

As if the "size 2" banshee wasn't enough, now NutriSystem is constantly running a commercial in which some poor chicken-chested stick figure proclaims she has a "smokin' hot body". Uh, lady, we can SEE you in this commercial.

NJ

April 16, 2007 1:38 PM

I would rather look like a hippo than patronize Nutrisystem. I have stopped watching
some channels because I can no longer stand the CONSTANT deluge of Nutrisystem harpies. Did you notice that the camera never stays on them for very long and is blurry? Hmmmmm... But I do
get a big kick out of the one who says "my husband now jokingly calls me his trophy wife"
My husband always adds "As opposed to what? His big fat slob"? Anyone who would brag about their shallow, obnoxious spouse that way deserves to be shot, and any woman who was happy about it needs a backbone, a brain, and then a steamroller to drive over said husband.

kmk

April 22, 2007 10:14 AM

That hillbilly woman who says "my husband, he said I was hot" is one of those people you just want to smack in the face. I think her husband should say "was your last grammar class in the 5th grade?". As far as the "trophy wife"...perhaps the husband should mount her on the wall over the fireplace.
STOP WITH THE STUPID COMMERCIALS!

Rocki

April 23, 2007 9:35 AM

Nutrisystem has a knack for finding irritating formerly fat people. "My husbun, he sez I'm hot." Please. Another irritating commercial is the Countrywide Mortgage one where the guy with the bad teeth smiles and blabs. Couldn't they afford to give him some dental work before they put him on tv?

gmcm

May 2, 2007 5:41 PM

The last word from the "trophy wife"

CYRUS

May 10, 2007 5:43 AM

Those STUPID commercials of Countrywide Mortgage just make me want to puke. They say there is no fee for this, no fee for that, no fee, no fee. If they don't charge any fees, how can they afford all those DISGUSTING, INANE, commercials?

Judy

May 12, 2007 12:05 AM

We see Countrywide ads about 20 times during A&E's Soprano night on Monday. I ordered seasons 1 through 6, but until they arrive we are forced to live with the obnoxious, repulsive commercials. I swear the guy has a bad, brown lower tooth. My husband swears he has a gap. It has become an ongoing joke. Any opinions out there?

Darrin

June 2, 2007 10:06 AM

Are you kidding me? Everyone I speak with loves the country girl in the Nutrisystem commercial who states, "My husband; he said I was hot." I love the accent, and she's cute.

Yeah, the commercial runs too much, but she's the highlight.

larry roberts

July 3, 2007 9:16 AM

just wondering . who is the ad agency for Nutrisystem? larry roberts

the

July 25, 2007 1:35 PM

Thank you so much Darrin!!! I appreciate the fact that good people out there are supporting me and are recognizing the hard work it takes to lose weight in stead of criticizing our success stories.

rocki

September 5, 2007 7:54 PM

OH NOOOO! The dingbat is back for a second round of "Size 2-uh." Nutrisystem is just oblivious to the fact that their commercials infuriate people who have to listen to them. And the commercials are just too long.

Bree

February 8, 2008 8:28 PM

I sent the following e-mail to the NutriSystem ad dept. after their newest debacle...egad...are they advertising in order to keep educated people away? Disgrace...an abomination against the Queen's English!
"Dear Sir or Madam,
I wonder how the quote, "It (your product) seems like magic because it works so GOOD" spoken by one of your commercial models, was passed through editing in your advertising department. One would hope that such a lucrative company, as Nutrisystem has become, would hire competent employees with the necessary credentials (such as an advertising degree, which includes studies of the English Language and its proper use) to excel and therefore sell your product. Now, quite a bit of money has been wasted on an ad that portrays your product as cheap and uninviting. Intelligent people who use proper English will automatically be turned off to any other message you are trying to portray with this seriously poor lack of grammar echoing in their ears.
I believe that this could be remedied by pulling the ad, or cutting the model out--the result will enhance your product image.
Just some advice."

Mac

February 17, 2008 6:50 PM

I'd have to agree with the disgust that has been demonstrated on this blog. I am sure that with the amount of revenue they generate, they probably don't care about the fact that their credibilty with well spoken, intelligent people is shot as a result of their poor grammer. They are obviously not concerned with this, since they have been running the same ridiculous commercial ("It must be magic because it works so GOOD") for almost six months. I cringe everytime the ad is run.

Yvonne

May 21, 2008 4:30 PM

As a Pilates teacher, who teaches Pilates is for all bodies, I find the NutriSystem ads particularly disgusting and mute the sound. Even America's Next Top Model is a size 10 this season. How to Look Good Naked is another show that is addressing the problem of the media pushing unrealistic weight loss for the vast majority of women. It is teaching women to feel bad about themselves and to hide their bodies. Many women are too thin at size 7 for their body type and height. No wonder we have generations of girls growing up to be anorexic and bulimic. The size 2 NutriSystem ad is the most annoying ad I have seen in years. How can we teach health and fitness with the media pushing unrealistic size goals on TV? Nutri-System needs to get with the times.

Josh Craig

November 13, 2008 8:16 PM

I think Rachel Ray is very beautiful. I love her cooking show and all the she makes looks absolutley to die for. I am in love with her. One of my wishes before i die is to have her cook for me and have dinner just her and I

Lisa Russell

September 18, 2009 7:41 PM

When is the last time you've heard a husband refer to his wife as "his trophy wife". Realistically, I would be more flattered to hear my husband refer to me as "his cats meow"....Which would give the ad a chance to focus on previous Nutrisystem Customers who stop using Nutrisystem as well as any new Customers.
They should refer to the old saying,,,
"If curosity killed the cat,,, then satisfication brought him back...
and now thats why her husband refers to his wife as his "cats meow"....oh lala