CW Network Doesn't Roll Off The Tongue

Posted by: David Kiley on January 25, 2006

cw.jpg

When you snooze, you lose. Adfreak beat me to the punch in asking who thought The CW was a good idea for the new network cobbled together from the bones of The WB and UPN.

The CW? It reminds me of an old episode of I Love Lucy when Lucy and Ethel were starting a dress business and argued over whether the shop name should be Ethel-Lu’s or Lucy’s choice, Lucy-Eth’s.

When you are a TV network, selling ad time, it helps if you convey to your customers that you know something about advertising, marketing, etc. Another comparison that comes to mind: a decade or so ago, two ad agencies handling Chrysler business merged and actually put CME-KHBB on their business cards.

Steve H

January 25, 2006 2:45 PM

Well, I suppose CW beats the reverse. The WC would surely generate some jokes re "water closet." Maybe CWB would be better; or WBC.

Helene

February 24, 2006 3:03 PM

When you choose to snooze,
you lose the news!

Kacey

February 26, 2006 9:21 PM

I am very unhappy with the merge. I am a fan of the WB and I do not want to lose any of my shows. I don't like UPN at all. I think the merge was a very bad decision.

Linda J

February 27, 2006 11:54 AM

Perhaps they will call it 'CWN' that sounds pretty good. C W Network CWN- it rolls off the tongue pretty good!

Angry Crying

March 5, 2006 3:38 AM

My guess is the network hopes that people will refer to it as "cee dub," at least in conversation. "What's on cee dub tonight?"

If so, it might just stick - it's kind of fun to say, and it has just enough of a risqué connotation (see definition of "c dub" at UrbanDictionary.com) to make it feel like a bit of an inside joke among viewers who might have heard that term before.

leira

March 26, 2006 2:30 PM

i cant belive they are doing this I love the wb the only good show on upn is veronica mars but come on the wb rocks and they should at least keep one tree hill

andrea

March 27, 2006 9:47 AM

I hope that the cw network takes shows like one tree hill because it is way cool show !!!

Freddie

April 16, 2006 10:14 PM

The WB merging with UPN was a very bad decision. The WB has the best shows from REBA, WHAT I LIKE ABOUT YOU(which by the way got canceled thanx to The CW),LIVING WITH FRAN, TWINS, to Smallville. UPN sux ass! The only show on UPN thats worth watching is WWE FRIDAY NIGHT SMACKDOWN! Bottom Line The CW is a piece of crap! UPN is goin down and it's bringing The WB down with it!

joe Jackson

June 4, 2006 12:28 AM

i thinks it's a great idea and a good idea,is that some viewers are mad cause black shows are going to be on ,i guess white show

UPN is the best CW will make Every see that two show toghter is wonderful

VChip

June 7, 2006 10:24 PM

I am very excited about this merger. I love the UPN network more than I do The WB. Both stations are major players in my book though. I love Smackdown, I love Smallville. I think this is an excellent move and it will be proven in the near future.

KC

October 30, 2006 11:11 PM

All I want is a new season of 'What I Like About You'

Desiree'

January 20, 2007 1:40 AM

I love most of the shows on CW i really wish they would bring What I Like About You back gilmore girls is the best and smallvlle is a close second

george