Alexis Stewart Beats Her Mom In The Radio Game

Posted by: David Kiley on November 15, 2005

alexis.jpg

Here’s a newsflash. Psssssssssst. Alexis Stewart, daughter of decorating diva Martha Stewart is much funnier and more interesting than her Mother. How do I come by this perspective, especially after Alexis has done her best impersonation of a sea sponge on The Apprentice?

I happened to catch an hour of her radio show on Sirius Satellite Radio last Thursday night. Called “Whatever,” Alexis co-hosts the show with the daughter of Martha Stewart Omnimedia Chairman Charles Koppelman, Jennifer Koppelman Hutt. The airing wasn’t touted. It was, as one Sirius exec stated, “a soft launch.”

It was a hoot. In one hour, Alexis complained in detail about not knowing what do or how to act on The Apprentice, confessed that she had slept with the cameraman assigned to shoot her, and had experimented with lesbianism. She certainly seemed and sounded serious about all of it. Hutt was surprisingly funny too. She prattled on with a pretty good yarn about being summoned to New York dining hot-spot Nobu to meet Alexis and Martha for dinner only to be stuck manning a table for eight alone for almost two hours waiting for the Stewarts. Martha called her to let her know her progress toward showing up at which point Hutt informed her that fellow Sirius star Howard Stern and his daughter had just sat down. Stewart insisted Hutt ask the already peeved hostess to re-seat her next to Stern’s table. Who knew Martha was such a Howard fan? Hutt’s telling the incident is better than mine.

Meantime, Alexis spit venom in the direction of Nobu. It seems she recently had her Mother’s assistant book her a table at the ridiculously hard-to-get-a-reservation joint. When she showed up without her Mother, Alexis related, they treated her shabbily, seating her in “Siberia,” and showing outward disappointment that her Mother would not be dining.

If it all sounds insipid, it was. But after four 11 15-hour work days in a row, and being in no mood to listen to Anderson Cooper wax on about the French riots, I was happy to settle on Martha’s channel for some entertaining radio junk food. Figuring the two girls were going to be dreadful, merely trading off their parents’ names and bank accounts, I was pleasantly surprised at how facile they were on the radio. In fact, I pathetically and secretly wished that Alexis would invite me to her apartment for a party she is throwing this month for 150 people.

One thing, though. I have long been suspicious about the audience for many of Sirius’s shows. Consider that after an hour of listening to juicy cotton candy and hearing Hutt give out the call-in number three times, just one caller actually dialed in. And that was Mr. Hutt who was actually pretty funny, relating how his yenta wife calls him on his cellphone constantly. He comes out of the gym after an hour of working out and he’s got some six messages from his wife. That’s only funny if you had been listening for the preceding hour. But it made me wonder just how many people are listening to Sirius channels at any one time. In any case…talk about guilty pleasures…the show was insipid, very funny and much better than the audio play of Martha’s daytime show I caught last night in which I was listening to some Chef make autumnal raviolis. The show will start airing from noon to 2pm daily this week.

shaleneooi

November 16, 2005 1:18 AM

lesbianism? slept with cameraman? wow, wish i had the chance to catch that show too .. but too bad. anyway, i like your personality. you look attractive on the apprentice show.

LexiFan

November 18, 2005 3:21 PM

This giant pixie is a dynamo!

Jewel1

December 2, 2005 6:17 AM

Is the Sirius Satellite Radio show available in Illinois,on a regular radio?

Shawn

December 2, 2005 11:18 AM

Did Alexis say anything about feeling embarassed about her mother going to prison? Does Alexis ever talk about her mother's lying?
Breal

Kathryn

December 3, 2005 1:27 AM

Thanks for the dish. I'm getting Sirius for my mother for Christmas. She is a HUGE Martha fan and wants to subscribe to Sirius specifically for Martha. Also, as a Martha fan I am happy that her daughter seems to be coming out of her shell. I absolutely respect her privacy but it's a guilty pleasure hearing about hearing about her and her life. I think she's lovely. PS That's a really bad photo you've posted of them.

get a life

December 5, 2005 6:40 PM

Let's see, her Mom has made a zillion dollars and created jobs for hundreds, maybe thousands, of people, and was convicted under a law that many legal experts say shouldn't even be on the books. Yeah, I guess I'd be embarrassed about all that.

pixie

December 7, 2005 6:59 PM

i like The Apprentice, and i think Ms. Alexis does a very fine job on the show. After all just what does her position on the show call for? Ms. Stewart does an excellant job in supporting her mother.

I have yet to listen to the sirius radio show Ms. Stewart and Ms. Hutt put out. I would like to listen, but have yet to take the time to apply for the programs. I'm very happy to see Ms. Martha Stewart back at her company and wish both ladies good luck. I'm sure with the excellant opportunities Ms. Alexis has in her life she does not need for us to wish her good luck, she already has so much. Let us hope she does much good for other less fortunate in life with her fantastic opportunities.

A Stewart In Michigan

December 14, 2005 3:11 PM

What you see is not always what you get - Alexis I am ashamed for you and of you. Why do you bring yourself down to that kind of level - your Mother has paid for her mistake - if you are trying to get even -don't! Morals are worth more than bank accounts anyday and someday you will realize it. Shame Shame Shame!!!!! Be kinder - life is to short!

Jean Corbellini

December 16, 2005 2:32 AM

I have mixed feelings about "Whatever," Alexis Stewart's radio show. First, it's a refreshing, irreverant take on her life in N.Y. However, as a daughter myself, I could never offend nor disrespect my mum by airing 'personal' matters that might be funny to some, yet embarassing to my family or friends. I do not see the point of Alexis having her own show anyway. Why and what does she have to offer, besides some silly, salacious gossip? She simply has a show because of her mum's name. I'm surprised that I haven't seen her on the cover of some grocery store tabloid........Well, I suppose Britney has that covered for the next couple of months.

Suz

December 19, 2005 1:22 AM

If Alexis is interested in more experimentation, let me be the first to volunteer! I have such a crush on her!

Michael

December 21, 2005 9:48 PM

How tall is Alexis Stewart.I know she is Tall.

none

December 22, 2005 8:36 AM

You were "pleasantly surprised at how facile they were on the radio," at how simple and badly thought out they were on the radio?

karen kundra

December 26, 2005 11:29 AM

We have not been able to listen to Alexis' and Jennifer's new show but we adore both of them and wish the well - we will be supporting you soon.

RachelRachel

December 30, 2005 11:44 PM

As do I Suz!!!!

Carol

January 17, 2006 7:34 PM

Alexis is disgraceful. She demonstrates disdain toward her mother on the Martha show and has absolutely no class. Sometimes her demeanor indicates anger toward her mother; the nut tart recipe segment on Martha was unacceptable. Her "Whatever" show would have never happened without the coattails of her mother. Revealing she is totally immoral and misguided just makes me puke. What a spoiled brat.

loraine

January 18, 2006 9:47 PM

How tall is the girl?? Anyone?

hairdresser

January 24, 2006 2:38 AM

She's 5'7 1/2" tall. 67 1/2 inches tall

janjan

January 24, 2006 7:02 PM

While I am such a huge Howard Stern fan and after hearing Alexis on his show, I had to turn my sirius radio to the "Whatever" station and hear Alexis and Jennifer. I was quite pleased and will continue to tune in after the wrap-up on Howards 100.

Go Girls and have fun!! Wish I could come in and be a guest on your show...but then again, I'm no one special just a regular listener!

Best of luck to you both!

Shan

January 25, 2006 5:40 PM

I, too, am a Stern fan and Alexis was so much fun on his show, I checked out her own. It's good to know she's a very level-headed and "normal" person considering how crazy her mother happens to be. In fact,that Whatever show is the most lively and interesting thing on that station. She seems to love and respect her mother although they don't seem to get along. It's just how it is... and, mainly because of that, I would really love to hear rumor of a "Tyrone Stewart, Jr." ;-D

Sandy

February 1, 2006 2:25 PM

I would like to like Alexis, but every time I've seen her on her mother's show I am totally put off. I agree with Carol, above, who mentioned the nut tart recipe segment on Martha - I could hardly believe how rude Alexis was to her Mom! It's not unusual to have issues with one's mother, but to air them so blatently is really embarassing for everybody. I'm sure Martha would never put up with that kind of treatment from anyone else, and I wish she wouldn't with her daughter.

I hope Alexis gets some professional help.

RK

February 3, 2006 3:02 PM

Alexis is at least 5'10,'' possibly even a bit taller. I know this to be true.

LB

February 17, 2006 2:43 PM

I recently found the "Whatever" show on Martha Stewart Radio and it's my favorite talk show. Sure, it's kind of like "radio junk food", but as the author stated in his piece, how many serious news shows can one listen to before you want a little "confectionary radio"?

I also really enjoy some of the other more "content" shows on the MSL Radio channel - especially the one where they interview female entrepreneurs. Loved the SPANX CEO interview for example.

Keep it up Sirius and bring us more of this type of entertaining radio.

bboy07

February 22, 2006 8:06 PM

The "Whatever" show is a total train wreck! I can't listen anymore. If I have to hear one more story about her soon-to-be-ex boyfriend "Peety", I'll haveto scream!!!

DiscJock

February 26, 2006 4:11 AM

the girls have a myspace page, if anyone is interested:

Rosemarie

March 28, 2006 2:03 PM

I knew it
I just knew it
Gay-dar

My friends and I swore Alexis was or could be
Ah yes
Hope she experiements more.

trisha

March 30, 2006 11:08 AM

Saw Alexis for the first time today on her mother's show. I sometimes wished I lived in that world instead of southern Pa. I would love to meet her, but that will never happen. In the end, we are all just human.

G. Moore

April 13, 2006 2:43 AM

I listen. I think Jennifer is charming. And I would be the first to admit that Alexis has had a pretty tough shake in life, all things considered. But could she please, please drop the TONE? Honestly, if I want to listen to someone chronically bored and annoyed, I could talk to myself. I understand it is self-protective, but she's getting too old for it.

Mike

February 22, 2007 3:46 PM

Might be a good idea to put in text which one's Lexi for those of us who've never seen her pic. So, which one is she?

Carol Borden

April 12, 2007 10:46 AM

I haven't heard "whatever" yet, since I don't have sirius radio yet. I really like Alexis & would like to see her more on TV.

Elly

April 14, 2007 8:35 AM

I think the show should be Jennifer Koppelman Hut with Alexis Stewart as her sidekick. Jennifer comes across as natural and sincere while Alexis is forced and cold. Jennifer is the sweetie while Alexis is sly and cunning. It's so obvious. I don't know how the talk show will take off but in my opinion, anyone could do the job. On the Martha Stewart show, Alexis was attempting to appear so knowledgeable but she flunked as far as I am concerned. She even argued with Jennifer over "poo poo poo" not being a Jewish thing??? To be politically correct it is Yiddish but same, same. Did Alexis even graduate from any school? Alexis reminds me of a snake in the grass just waiting to strike. That's my personal take. The above was written without prejudice.

anonym...

September 21, 2007 6:51 PM

i love her. a brat with sense. i think its good and shes smart. back off peeps wekekekekekek.

Jennifer

October 6, 2007 5:06 AM

Dear Alexis,
I don't know you or your Mom... only what is shown through the media. However, you & your Mother resemble me & mine so much at times... Mother Daughter relations so universal in ways. I am going to watch you on Oprah. Before I even see the show (as a young mother and former want to be mother / daughter of want to be grandmother) I hear your universal soulful wish. I pray it comes true for you. My grandmother always said to me "Never forget who you are and where you came from". You have such amazing traits. These I know will be passed on if you choose to have a child either through your genes or other methods. I have to ask myself this question if I absolutely could not conceive and was considering adopting a child... If I were myself adopted could my mother have given me the gifts she did? I know it isn't exactly the same as biological. However, I think it is a question worth asking ourselves. For some reason I was compelled to share that. I hope you hear this & it finds you well. Good Luck in your journey. Jennifer

Keri Lujack

October 10, 2007 2:16 PM

I saw Alexis on Oprah yesterday wining because her biological clock is ticking down and now she has had to resort to expensive in-vitro fertilization because she can't find suitable sperm...give me a break! I thought she came across as cold and insensitive on t.v., maybe there's a greater reason for her not being able to get pregnant...she should heed the warning. There are reasons why things happen the way they do...consider adoption.

connie

April 19, 2008 1:59 AM

I find Alexis,at 42 appallingly rude, crude, and rather strange. Where is the up-bringing Martha?

"If you bungle raising your children," I don't think whatever else you do well matters very much,"
Jackie Kennedy
"1961"

Nancy

October 26, 2008 8:14 PM

Just another rich brat....Which goes to show you don't have to be poor to be white trash....She cant be successful on her own so it's easier to pick out the negative things about her own mother. Sadly, it is the influences of one's parents that make them the person they are.

Hopefully, she will not be able to conceive. I am sure she will be just as bad of a mother as she is a daughter.

gladys

December 10, 2008 8:08 PM

HELLO GIRLS: i AM PROBABLY YUR OLDEST LISTENER WHO TRULY ENJOYES YOUR SHOW. MY DAUGHTER TOUTED ME TO LISTEN WHICH i DO IN MY CAR AT 5pm. OFTEN I HATE TO GET OUT OF THE CAR BUT LIFE DOES HAVE TO GO ON. I LOVE YOUR BANTER WITH JENNIFER AND IT REMINDS ME OF MY BEST FRIEND'S CONVERSATIONS LONG AGO. I WISH YOU GOOD LUCK, IT SOUNDS THAT YOU WOULD APPRECIATE THAT. gLADYS