Levi's 501 Films Make Ads Worth Watching

Posted by: David Kiley on May 4, 2005

Internet films aren’t new as branded content. But new Levi’s ads, 90-second commercials really—themed, “Uncomplicate,” shows that broadband could well be the savior of advertising as a truly creative medium.
One ad, titled “World Gone Pretty,” features a GI Joe type animated character returning from war to find an overly wussified culture full of Low-carb beer, tofu and metrosexualed men getting manicures and facials. To get back to realness, he turns to a pair of 501 jeans to make him feel whole again. It’s edgy and fun. And anything that ridicules low-carb beer is okay with me. The second spot, “Dog Anxiety,” shows a little dog tearing up an apartment apparently in response to what has become an overly affected world where “Sneaks became athletic shoes,” and “meat became soy.” It’s not as amusing as “World Gone Pretty,” but still good, and I like the overall theme, which is ripe for further executions. The last scene in “Dog,” shows the little critter lifting his leg on a men’s magazine that appears to have yet another cover line about how to achieve six-pack abs. To these mags I say…”Get over it, will you. There’s more to life than working for six-pack abs.” Good show Levi’s.

McCann-Erickson’s TAG young adult marketing unit, and Chelsea Films created the films.

Neither of these spots would ever be allowed to run on broadcast TV because they’d be too expensive. I have seen stories recently in the press about the end of the 30-second ad? These ads show that the age of broadband is opening up creative people to be truly creative, not hamstrung by the 30-second formats, FCC standards and practices or a bunch of people in the room all trying to get their voice heard about what the ad should look like before it goes on the air.

PXLated

May 4, 2005 8:57 AM

Your 501 link appears to be hosed :-(

Tom Asacker

May 4, 2005 10:03 AM

What's with that Levi's link?

try this : http://www.501uncomplicate.com

Bob

May 4, 2005 10:23 AM

I'd love to check it out, but your link to the levi's films site is broken.

from kiley---http://www.501uncomplicate.com

sulinyang

May 4, 2005 12:42 PM

The link of "Levi's 501 films--" is lost?

from kiley----http://www.501uncomplicate.com

Dave P

May 4, 2005 9:51 PM

The link to the films is broken. Please fix!

From David Kiley: here it is.

I'll try to fix iin the entry. Thanks

david kiley

May 10, 2005 5:53 PM

Sorry the link was in error for the 501 ads. I'm still mastering the new software. The link has been corrected.

Elizabeth

May 14, 2005 10:39 AM

I really liked your article about the Levi's 501 film ads. Thanks for bringing these films to our attention. In the words of another advertising icon, "They're Grrreat!

idiot

June 8, 2005 12:42 AM

i am an idiot and i am lead by richard simmons

Penelope

July 30, 2005 4:24 PM

What is the song on the new Levi's commercial with the guy recreating his original levi's for his girlfriend?

Anita

September 10, 2005 2:26 PM

It's called Easy Like Sunday Morning, by Faith No More. Great song.

jess

September 27, 2005 2:00 PM

do you have a website where i can find a picture of the guy in the new levis advert, where he is playing a guitar with the ice cream van????

louise

September 29, 2005 8:46 AM

love the levis world gone pretty, doin an contextual studies essay on it at mo, comparing with levi's twist by Frank Budgen. if anyone wants to help a student and give some feedback or leave comments about its content, and the narrative/genre etc please get in touch!!

media student, Kent England

la32@kent.ac.uk

golffy

October 3, 2005 3:56 AM

Who's the guy in the Levi ad?

Shannon

October 5, 2005 5:11 PM

who is the guy in the commercial where hes giving his pants he made to his gf? i think its trey atwood from the OC, but my friend dissagrees. if u know, please tell me

Mal

November 5, 2005 3:24 PM

How do you make those jeans in the new Levis commerical with that song Easy like Sunday morning?

Katty

November 14, 2005 12:26 AM

Hey, yea my bro also thinks it's Trey from the OC but it kind of doen't look like him at some parts, like at the end. I also want to know if it's him or not.

dave

November 17, 2005 5:27 PM

does anybody know that song from the Dickies commercial with that really catchy bass tune? or do you know where i can find it.ive been trying to find out the name of it for months.

Mandy

November 21, 2005 12:46 PM

I think Levis have done a great job on re-promoting their 501 brand. They are taking great advantage of the Internet and advertising. I enjoyed the article - lets hope to see more exciting media moves from Levis.

Mel

November 26, 2005 1:20 PM

I don't think it's him. I want to know who it is also if anyone knows for certain.

Poosle Max

December 2, 2005 1:34 AM

THE LINK TO THE LEVIS 501 THING IS STILL BROKEN

FIX IT!

Pmx

kat

December 4, 2005 8:34 PM

i liked the article - but i would like to what the effect of this amazing advert had on the SALES of levi!!!!

Dmitriy

December 14, 2005 4:48 AM

Very nice song

Melanie

December 14, 2005 12:24 PM

Does anyone know what the name of the song is in the Levi's commercial where the guy left his jeans in the laundromat and is trying to find the lady upstairs to unlock it for him? The lyrics keep saying, "It must be love."

Ted

December 18, 2005 8:25 PM

That song is called 'It Must Be Love' by Madness, the same dudes who had a huge hit with 'Our House'.

Chris

December 18, 2005 8:38 PM

The name of the song is "It Must be Love" by Madness

jay

December 21, 2005 7:22 AM

Can someone please tell me the name of the song being played by the guy playing the guitar in the ice cream van for the Levis advert??

Saha

December 25, 2005 8:58 AM

Joey

December 31, 2005 10:45 PM

Thanks Chris and Ted for knowing the name of that song in the Levis Laundromat commercial. I was trying to find that out for the longest time. Thanks alot!

keith

January 6, 2006 5:07 AM

link to 501 ads still broken. Can someone please fix and/or advise where I can access an archive of Levi jeans advertising

Kelly

February 24, 2006 6:05 PM

Looking for the name of the Levi's ad song where the guy and gal are standing across the street from each other, each as if they're going to get on opposite cable cars, but they don't. Filmed in SF.

Sabrina

March 4, 2006 4:09 PM

I love the Levis comercial about the guy recreating the jeans. Could you guys tell me his name, I'm in comlete love with him, want to buy those exact jeans off of e-bay in fact. And have begged H&M to give me their Christmas ads in the mall of him but they were mean. So I'm desperate, just want to find out his name.

The Arizona Assassin

April 16, 2006 6:21 AM

Hey, does anyone remember a commercial where there is a guy breakdancing on a sidewalk, right in front of a window? I was thinking that I saw one like this for Levi's. I am familiar with a commercial that is very similar to the one that I am describing, but is for Slurpees. I think it may even be the same guy breakdancing in both commercials, David Elswehere. But, I seem to remember the guy being Mexican/Latino. There also seems to have been cars driving around prevelant in the commercial. Maybe a '64-type Impala. And at the end of the commercial, the guy is walking with his legs bending outward in some bizarre fashion. If anyone knows of the commercial that I am thinking of, even if you can just ttell me if it's actually for Levi's, or what company it is actually for, please reply. I would really appreciate it. Thanks. - The Arizona Assassin

gracie

August 8, 2006 1:43 PM

does anyone know who sings the covers of "walk the line" in the new levi's ads? male and female both, i'm curious and can't figure it out. thanks!

nicole

October 4, 2006 2:31 PM

levi jeans advert from 1984 set in russia and its black and white and he smuggles in hidden levi jeans in a suitcase. it has a famous classical piece over with no dialogue. what is this music? composer????

Shelli

November 11, 2006 3:28 PM

I'm looking for the name of a particular Levi's commercial so I can find it on the net. There's a girl in a department store. A guy walks in. She watches him. There's a song that sounds like Lou Reed's Walk on the Wild Side playing in the background. In fact I'm pretty sure it is Walk on the Wild Side. At the end of the commercial one can hear a voice say: "Be cool. It's strange out there." If anyone has any information about this particular Levi's commercial, please let me know. Thanks.

sara

December 3, 2006 8:18 PM

Adem sings the male version in the 'walk the line' commercials and Megan Wyler sings the female version.

Stephen Howes

January 7, 2007 2:14 AM

Hello,
I have been in the kinky habit of reading tags on the back of Levis Jeans for almost thirty years. After having grown up in a largely female family, all who wear zip-fly jeans, I have to say it really intrigues me whenever I read a tag that says Levis 501 on the back of a woman's jeans. Especially if she happens to be very pretty, like Nancy Wilson from Heart. Hopefully, some of you readers will understand how bad it felt to be the only person, male that is, who had some nerve wearing those totally radical Levis 501 button-fly jeans. If men are branded or stereotyped as macho for wearing them, then I wonder about those pretty and beautiful women who wear them.
Stephen Howes,
Holyoke, Mass.

Isabel

January 17, 2007 3:49 PM

I too am trying to find a jeans add. Two jeans (his and hers) are separated at the factory then we see a guy and girl walk past each other and suddenly stop. The jeans force them to walk toward each other; meeting they throw the people to the ground. The two people frantically try to keep their pants on. Then we see both guy and girl sitting on the curb in thier underwear while thier jeans are rolling around together on the ground.
I saw this in Belgium in 99-00, thanks for your help.
Isabel, TX

David

March 3, 2007 6:53 PM

hi, does anyone know where i can find the ad, in which there's a boy ridding his bike and he says to a girl, "hey sunshine, wanna ride?" ... i've been looking for it for a long time, and still havent't found!

Reese G

April 9, 2007 7:06 PM

The guy in the Ice Cream Truck add is Charlie Hurtin from Austin, TX. I will be getting his website up very soon... I promise I will put up thousands of pictures!

Ella

April 21, 2007 2:29 PM

I'm also trying to find a Levis ad where there is a yellow teddy bear on a car's window.. Has anyone seen it? As far as I remember, the song on the background is by Basemen Jaxx, Red Alert..

angela

April 23, 2007 4:46 AM

yeah. I used to love the jeans comercial with the guy walking all silly. In fact, back in the days of "free" napster, I hunted it up. I can't remember who it's by but I do know that it's called si senor and its entirely in spanish. hope that helps.

Raam

April 25, 2007 10:34 AM

Does anyone know where i can get the guitar tab from the song in the Levi ice cream van concert???????????????????

Marci

May 12, 2007 4:25 PM

Hi!

I'm from Hungary, sorry but my english is not so good. I'm looking for a song, it's in a Levi's commercial, but it's very old. The guy use his jeans, to drag the girls car with. The guy have very old blue pick up. Thanks!

Tyler

June 16, 2007 12:23 PM

Hi,

Here is the link with the blue pick up.

Does anyone have the one with the girl with the yellow bikini on the beach? THe one with the dog trying to stop her from taking a guys levis?

marvin

July 7, 2007 2:18 AM

can somebody tell me the name of the song in a levis commercial, where a guy is riding a car that is going crazy like a bull or something like, please e mail me redhotchilipeppers1983@hotmail.com

Rosalba Nogueda

July 13, 2007 3:08 PM

I would like to know who made the animation of the "twist" commercial of Levi's in 2002 ? thank you

SCOTT Ward

July 13, 2007 3:24 PM

HEY I'M LOOKING FOR SOME LEVIS ADS I WAS IN DANCING AT JUKEBOX AND AT A DINER THESE PLAYED IN 1984 DURING THE SUMMER OLYMPICS

Lauren

July 17, 2007 2:23 PM

Does anyone know the song in the commercial where a guy has the jeans on and a car falls from the sky and he sees a woman in a phone booth nearby? It's fairly recent I think. Thanks in advance.

sarah

August 10, 2007 11:53 AM

the song is up against the wall by peter bjorn and john

your welcome

August 15, 2007 1:15 AM

^peter bjorn and john - up against the wall.

xtre

September 28, 2007 1:08 PM

does anyone know where i can find the levi's commercial where there's a boy on a BMX flirting with a girl walking down the street. He says 'We're going to hollywood' or something, and then rides into a lamppost...

Wanda

November 8, 2007 7:52 AM

Who is the guy in the commercial where he uses his jeans to tow the brokedown car and the girl rides in the truck with him. He is georgeous!!
The song is "Be My Baby"

Elaine

January 17, 2008 6:38 AM

Does anyone remember who the guy was in the old ad. in the launderette taking his clothes off to wash them and I Heard it through the grapevine is playing in the background?

Jerome

March 11, 2008 12:13 AM

Does anyone know the name of the song in this commercial?

It's the Levi's nudist commercial for the Twisted jeans. Thank you

Sasha

March 15, 2008 2:31 PM

Hi everyone! I have a question. Does anyone know the song that was playing when the guy and the girl kept stripping off their clothes and under each layer was a different generation of fashion? They started off in like the country days, went to the big hair fad, then the hippies, then the modern kind of look and then the present day? It's on veryfunnyads.com and I really love that song!
Thanks a bunch to anyone who knows. Bye Bye!

Luke J Nell

August 12, 2008 1:36 AM

I'm looking for a Levi Advert that was made in South Africa a couple of years ago by a New York Based Group "BBH".. The Title of the advert / video was "STEALING THE STOLEN... I can find it anywhere. It was made tp show in USA, Canada etc... Can someone please help me with this... Thanks Luke... Lukejnell@yahoo.com

Orion

January 24, 2009 11:59 AM

Does anyone remember the Levi jeans commercial that looks like it was done in still shots? I recall a guy wearing jeans and moving down the road like he was driving away only he wasn't in a car. Am I senile or was this a real commercial?

steph

June 1, 2009 10:20 AM

please help, does anyone remember the advert where the man in just his jeans dives into someones swimming pool and hops the fences through every pool along????