Citizen Imus Under Fire. But It's the Critics Who Will Get Burned.

Posted by: David Kiley on March 24, 2005

Don Imus, as obnoxious as he can be some mornings on his syndicated radio show, does a lot of good work. And if he’s guilty of anything reported in today’s Wall Street Journal, it’s probably indulging his own sense of how he and his wife, Diedre, want to do good works rather than listen to other people tell him what he ought to do and how he should do it.

A month or so ago, Imus mentioned that he spends $1.8 million a year to host 100 sick kids a year at the Imus Ranch in New Mexico. “Wow,” I thought. That’s $18,000 a kid so they can ride some horses and pet some chickens. Surely, there must be more kids that could be helped with all that money? I thought about doing a story on it. What I mostly found, though, was that as indulgent as spending that much money per sick kid may be, Imus was doing exactly what he said he wanted to do in 1999 when he began raising millions of dollars. He wanted a real, working cattle ranch where kids would learn responsibility and a sense of purpose as he did when he was a kid. Imus admitted to me Thursday that he can see how people would view it as indulgent. But he doesn’t care. That’s honest. One of the reasons they only handle 100 kids—ten kids per week for ten weeks, from May to September—he and Diedre told me, is that summer break is the only time the kids can come. Seems logical.

The Imuses are adamant in pursuing the anti-McDonald’s strategy of ministering to sick kids. It’s Diedre who invokes the McDonald’s analogy of emphasizing quantity over quality. The Imus ranch, she says, is about giving kids in-depth constructive experiences, organic food, and a comfortable place to sleep and eat. Charity professionals say a lot more kids could be helped with the $20 million start-up costs for the ranch and the nearly $2 million a year operating costs if it was spent another way. “I reject that,” says Imus. The Imuses say their ranch is a different proposition than a summer camp where kids “eat junk food and sleep on army cots.”

Besides the kids, advertisers who have ponied up millions, including Readers Digest, The New York Stock Exchange, American Express and others have gotten much mileage out of their donations. One sponsorsing executive who said he didn’t want to be named because of the current dust-up told me: “It’s marketing for us. We’ve gotten much more in positive chatter about our brand than if we had bought the air time on his show.”

The DJ says some have suggested to him that attention to the Ranch’s tax filings from New York Attorney General Elliott Spitzer and now the WSJ story may have been provoked by angry pharmaceutical companies who want him to give up the mercury cause. That seems dodgy. I was first attracted to the story by Imus himself. And I doubt Spitzer, who is running for Governor of New York, would be swayed by Big Pharma. He knows that to win, he won’t want Imus running against him on his show every morning. A supportive Imus will be worth far more to Spitzer than a million or two dollars from Big Pharma. He who takes on Imus pretty much always comes out on the worse end of the stick.

CAMERON GALLUP

May 3, 2005 9:32 PM

IF MORE WEALTHY PEOPLE WOULD CONTRIBUTE LIKE THE IMUS DO,WE WOULD ALL BE BETTER OFF.GIVE THE PEOPLE DON AND DIEDRE CREDIT THY ARE CARING AND GENEROUS

Karin

June 7, 2005 12:44 PM

It sounds to me like these ranch owners have a great scam going on. They get a free cattle ranch with money that is supposed to go toward sick kids? I'm envisioning the "Holes" story here,but with sick children in place of the juvenile delinquents.What would a sick child get out of this experience? Aren't they just being used to help take care of the cattle and ranch? Why send a sick child to a camp for the purpose of them to learn responsibility by working? This doesn't make any sense. It seems to be an exploitation of the vulnerable, if you ask me. Don't think it doesn't happen.This is an obvious misuse of funding!

james y

June 7, 2005 12:53 PM

I think this idea is stupid. Why should kids not go to the FREE RonaldMcdonald solution. how in the world can this guy get away with this.

Barbara Talbot

June 23, 2005 12:20 PM

Don and Diedre Imus are going where "angels fear to tread" and good for them. The large picture is that they are helping all of us who have been adversely affected by chemicals and they have the fortitude and the ability and the passion to withstand the sometimes vicious criticism aimed at them. They definitely deserve our praise and our thanks for that and for bringing a ray of light and normality into the lives of our children,whatever the cost.

Clydene Chinetti

August 16, 2005 3:45 PM

I can see and hear the tendercare for the children when Don Imus speaks about his son, and the "Little Knotheads". I immediately know this is not just a supportive husband of a wife's good cause", but that he is fully on board.
Just to see the New Mexico sunrise and hills on t.v. is healing for me. You have to understand that to walk through a cool adobe house and experience the dry weather and warm colors of the Northern New Mexico sky and hills, is different from any other place. To be on a Ranch that is private after all the "eyes" of a hospital and have two people as ruggedly in control, yet gentle and tendercaring pulling for you is simply priceless.
New Mexico is the place I wanted to go to heal. It is perfect for the children.

james whalen`

September 21, 2005 11:53 PM

This is the greatest ripoff since Ponzi.
The kids are dyiong and Mrs Imus says: No hamburgers, no candy, no ice cream. I am a vegan and we do not approve.
Her husband, who is ow an old 65, will now have a great retirement home paid for by unsuspecting business people and the taxpayers.
How many corporations did he threaten for donations?
A disgace.
Give the money toe the American Camcer Society.

Richard Cox

September 25, 2005 3:38 AM

I too was raised on a Ranch in Arizona and worked for 20 years in Radio as an On Air Jock in several major cities and worked on the railroad(best job I ever had),HOWEVER,I NEVER considered getting the public to buy ME a multi-million dollar ranch in the name of a FEW kids.....IMUS has pulled off the ultimate scam.
Lets get real here...
Honest ranch people suffer because of greedy New York City clowns like IMUS that soak the public for donations to get themselves a FREE ranch.
I am sorry to say I grew up on a REAL RANCH not far from Mr.Imus in Western Arizona.
The American Cancer Society is still the SAFEST and BEST BET for your money

Jim in Connecticut

November 1, 2005 7:38 PM

I only know what I hear and read about the ranch and I would not make a stupid comment unless I have first hand knowledge. You cannot always believe what you read or hear.

Dave Kay

November 22, 2005 8:59 AM

If you don't like it, don't send your sick child there and mind your own damn business.

Instead of speculating about Imus' motives, why not ask the kids who've gone there if they liked it or not? I don't buy the vegan thing and the mercury thing sounds a tad woo-woo, but if 100 kids have an experience where they actually LIVE life on a cattle ranch and enjoy it, then Bravo Zulu Don Imus.

jessejames14

December 10, 2005 1:17 PM

I watch Imus every morning.
Imus and his wife give so much.The scandel started because that worthless Howard Stern.I'm glad Stern is gone over to satellite radio!
Spitzer dismissed claims against the imus ranch.
Imus has been on for years and I hope he will be on for many more.
Keep in mind,part of his griping and whining is part of his "act".Enjoy the satire!
It's much better then watching Katie and the crew! (and funnier too!)
Keep up the great work I-Man!Love ya!
jessejames14

michael clark

January 12, 2006 8:06 AM

What a great scam i'll have to try it too.It's not a working cattle ranch cause they don't slaughter the animals. My picture is more like "stalag imus".
The kids come back home saying "i do what ever you say mom please don't sent me back to that hell hole"

Stephen DeBock

January 13, 2006 1:04 PM

I find it reprehensible that every time someone tries to do something for the good of his or her fellow human beings, someone else, almost always unqualified, stands ready to perform a character assassination. The benefactors of the Imuses' charity are testament enough to their philanthropy; Imus doesn't need further validation than that. From a historical perspective, Imus isn't the first (or only) person to be crucified for doing the right thing. You're in good company, I-man.

NH Rick

February 23, 2006 11:17 PM

What's with all the cynics? If Imus wanted a 4,000 acre ranch he could just buy one. Yeah, he is a jerk. Yeah, he is offensive. But yeah, he can sit on his butt in Manhattan during Thanksgiving and Christmas, too. He is 109 years old so why not just stay in NY all summer? Come on. It is not some big scam. He makes millions anyway. If he really wanted to, he could just buy himself a ranch and not suffer any criticism from anybody.

Brian in Vt

March 31, 2006 10:40 AM

When all of the critic of the Imus Ranch put up as much of their own money as the Imus's have, then maybe, and only maybe, can they begin to be critical. Want to take swipes at "charitable" organizations, look at the Red Cross.

TKM

April 11, 2006 1:31 PM

Each child stays one week. At $2,000,000 per year and 100 kids total that comes to $20,000 per week. For one quarter that money couldn't they go on a full summer world-wide cruise? Far more interesting, educational, fun and cheaper.

Anne Falewitch

April 19, 2006 3:40 PM

I listen to IMUS every day and it makes me sick to read the garbage about his working cattle ranch. Him and his wife are doing a trmendous service to sick kids. I wish more wealthy people would spend their money on the homeless, sick kids and other situations where money would help instead of themselves.

I wish the Imus family much ssuccess.

Ted of VT

May 11, 2006 7:45 AM

The big picture is how many more kids could be helped with that money. I believe with all good intentions the ranch is a wonderful idea, but once again, extreme idealism is not economically correct. I don't think that the you can put a price on the health or well being of a child, but I do think that when you focus so many dollars on so few kids you will be scrutinized and critizied and rightfully so. So there are three choices, deal with the negitive press, stop doing what your doing,or change the way you do it. Imus has chosen the first choice, and he gets away with it, with all good intention. Noboby is twisting arms to raise the money and the doners should know what they are putting THEIR money into, so be it. Look it's been a year since the story was writen, and we are still talking about these kids, maybe the press this story got for the kids is worth the dollars spent.

craig

June 20, 2006 12:23 PM

People like Mr Cox are truly needed in this world.
There has to be someone who is negative on good things. The American Cancer Society is a very good cause to donate to, but so is the Imus Ranch.
It is obvious to me that those who speak of the negative things about the ranch have not spoken with any of the children. They need to do so and they will get a very different outlook.
Go ahead take the challenge, talk to the children who have been to the ranch. No they probable won't. They would then have nothing bad to say.
As the man said Bravo-zulu I-man.

wayne b

June 23, 2006 8:40 AM

I have to believe this is a scam indeed. Although, Imus is a weathly man, he figured out a way to get other people to pay for this ranch of his. These kids who go there must plead with there parents to not ever go back!! Seems like its nothing but work, not much fun. Imus gets these kids to work at the ranch all day long. The kids should be enjoying whatever time they have left, instead of going there. All that money being spent is a joke to. These kids could spend the summer on a nice vacation for much less & not having to work from sun up to sun down!!

Munberg

July 10, 2006 8:37 AM

I bought some Imus Ranch coffee he pumps on the radio and will bet my house it's Chase and Sandborn that they bag to make it appear like Starbuck's, and charge accordingly. This swill, plus maybe plagiarising recipes from the chef they fired for their cookbook sways my opinion on this charity. Little lies, big lies.

Machinator

August 15, 2006 2:30 PM

The guy is a real piece of work. What a criminal.

Enjoy the labour of those kids who are going to die you talentless Stern wannabe.

DINA M PIERCE

October 21, 2006 7:33 PM

KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK IMUS, MY HUSBAND HAD A A GRANDSON WHO DIED AS A RESULT OF NEUROBLASTOMA AND WHAT A WONDERFUL GIFT THAT WOULD HAVE BEEN FOR HIM TO PARTICIPATE IN...YOURE GOING TO HEAVEN FOR SURE

Will Taylor

October 30, 2006 2:17 PM

Those of you who take such a negative point of view of the Imus's work sound jealous. Your assumptions about the Imuses intentions only make it seem like you would love to have the opportunity to swindle a charity out of millions of dollars for your own personal benefit. Why else would you so easily assume that this is the intent behind all of the hard work that they have put into this project. Your negative aspursions not only serve to hurt the mission of the ranch but they also expose you as someone who has such decadently irresponsible consumerist desires that you dream of having millions and millions of "free" dollars to satisfy them.

I realize that not everybody who had something negative to say about the ranch were doubting the Imus's motives and this is good. I too can play the comparison game, and see that per dollar of my own donations, cancer research in a hospital might be the most beneficial use of my hard earned money. That is why I have a choice about what charity I want to donate to. This does not make the ranch a bad cause and it certainly does not mean that the Imus's motivations are bad. If you don't like it, fine, don't donate but just because you wouldn't find it worthwile to donate does not make the Imus's or their cause bad.

Dave Walter

November 23, 2006 9:28 PM

I know many "well off" people who simply enjoy their success and contribute nothing to those less fortunate.

Oddly, as one attains some measure of success and wealth, the thing they have the least of is time. Its easy to write a check. People who truly understand the importance of giving something back, identify a worthy cause and give their time as well as their money.

The Imus family gives both their time & money. They are a good example for all of us lucky ones. Keep up the good work!!

tina galfo

December 13, 2006 8:40 PM

Small town small minds,people need a education on the Imus,My son has All Leukemia been treated for two years five months,had chemo and radation to the head.All the kids love them walk in our childrens shoes and then be judge and jury. Im so tired of people talking about the Imus like there drill sergents there HEARTS are in the perfect place, they say caregivers of children with cancer have a direct stair to haven, I know the Imus are first in line,Thank -u IMUS for giving our children a smile and love for the short time ther with u.We are very blessed for the work u do. Tina Galfo NJ mom to a child w/cancer

Sarah

January 5, 2007 2:36 PM

Props and more for the Imus family for giving these kids a chance to, not only, have organic, healthy food and be away from toxic cleaners and laundry products, but to have a moment in the sun winning belt buckles, enjoying life and escaping the every day of the cancer fight. 100% of the Imus Ranch products go to helping these kids--unless there is something I'm missing, What's not to like??? I'm sure Imus can afford a ranch on his own, but these people seem real to me in their efforts to do something positive, and if it also serves them a little, so what--they made the effort.

PCHIFFON

January 8, 2007 8:21 AM

It sounds rather extravagant when you hear the dollor amounts spent per child, but it really is great for these children to have a sense of purpose and discipline, which all kids could benefit from in today's world. It probably promotes their self asteem, and certainly their immune systems, and normalcy in a setting where they are protected but treated as though they have abilities instead of disabilities, amongst their peers. It is a shame more could not benefit. My hat's off to the Imus'.

clarence swinney

January 17, 2007 1:35 PM

Who wants to listen to a semi-literate buffoon when you can listen to world's number one liar Mush Dimbaugh!

Bush is next choice. He is so bad you get good laughs.

Jim

January 21, 2007 12:42 PM

The ranch, the yearly charity marathon for kids, the recent $10 million for a VA hospital that the government wouldn't even front to care for dismembered veterans returning home, and other recent charity projects and hefty spontaneous donations just too numerous to mention -- who else is that generous? Stern?

David

March 19, 2007 11:08 PM

Keep up the wonderful work Mr. and Mrs. Imus. Your efforts will be held close to the hearts of those you help the rewards beyond belief.
For the critics, eat S@*%. Put your money where your mouth is and help someone instead of critizing. How about donating your next summer to helping any charity. Bet you don't!

Roger

March 21, 2007 4:48 PM

I think it's inspirational that Imus and his wife are trying to help SOME children. As an adult with a disability, I am so fortunate to have daily encouragement by my wife. With her pushing me beyond my comfort zone, I'm able to imagine and pursue a life that's as normal as possible for me. These kids need to be enouraged. They get into a "system" that breeds discouragement, and it's healthy for them to try to work on a working cattle ranch. In addition, it's not an inexpensive proposition to keep a ranch like this going year 'round. To Imus' financial dealings, he has to be able to sleep at night with himself, so I'm assuming his conscience must be clear. But what about the people who never TRY to help someone else? We live in a selfish and cynical world. The US is the richest culture in history. How many more kids could be helped if each one of us helped do the job? It's easy to criticize someone else, when we're not doing anything ourselves!

marsha

March 26, 2007 7:26 AM

Have only watched Imus in the a.m. since Dec. Wish I'd been listening and watching for many years, but our area doesn't have his radio show. He's got the best a.m. show there is. It's everything that the other shows are not. I LOVE the humor, the honesty, the opinions....and even though the Ranch comes under the gun - the cause lives on and it makes us feel good that SOMEONE is actually doing for those who have been forgotten...Similarly the veterans & hospitals. Thank you, Imus - you have a real and good heart and obviously A GREAT WOMAN BACKING YOU UP!!

Robert

March 29, 2007 6:21 PM

I was astounded when recently watching the big bad I-Man squirm and wiggle his way out of taking a trip to Iraq to visit our military. What a phoney. I will now forever refer to him as the CHICKEN MAN with no balls. He should now and forever be known as the C-Man.

Lee Harmon

April 7, 2007 11:31 AM

Imus comments about the Rutger women's basketball team deserve for him to lose his job.

His other media colleagues in the past have lost their jobs for a lot worse. It is time for Imus to go, because he shows a very intolerant attitude toward blacks and women. If it was a conservative radio DJ, you media boys would fry them at the stakes. Let's be fair and do the right thing and get rid of Mr. Baloney Imus. There are many others in the media chain that could do a better and more tolerant show.

arline

April 9, 2007 8:04 PM

Don Imus is in a great deal of trouble. He needs our help. He helps so many people. His crusade for children with cancer, with autism and now cycle-cell anemia is legendary. He helped wounded veterans by raising the funds for the new rehab center in Houston, while our government stood by and did not help. We need to stand by this man. He made a mistake and is sorry. If it were white women he insulted would there be such a fuss. Have we become so unkind that we can't forgive someone who said something without thinking. I know a lot of bigots, he isn't one of them.

Jeannie Huckstep

April 9, 2007 10:33 PM

It's getting more than tiring watching/listening to all of the negative comments regarding Imus. How can we question his comments? This is a person who hassles people for a living! And - we ALL Love It!! We know that Imus is both a serious guy, and an entertainer. And - I, for one, am a CPA who manages a public practice, and I clearly enjoy whatever time I can get with "Imus In The Morning" before I go to the office. I know that I will always enjoy some hilarious humor, a lot of serious information from the best commentators in the world through their interviews with Imus, and I can start my day with all that in hand. If black people, i.e. maybe some of the "rappers" had made the comments it would have been okay. I'm absolutely not racist, nor do I believe that Imus is - and more than that, black people make the same comments. That is racist - when if the comment comes from a white person - it's hell to pay. But - if it comes from a black person, it's okay? There's something wrong with that picture!! It's time we all got along - there's only one world - and it's flatter every day!! You Go, Imus!! We all Love You!!

Keep It Nappy!

April 9, 2007 11:59 PM

[Skinny DeVille]
I broke a dollar down the gutter (?) the dime, quarter, penny, nickel
Flipped the 25 to 50 cent, now watch the bitch triple
Game simple, ya here today, tomorrow ya ain't
Now who the hell gon' save it right
That ain't gon' change the way you think
I took a buck fifty, ballin on a budget, bought a Dutch
Quickly spilled it and I stuffed it with that chunky from Kentucky
Man that blunt did it, sour then McDonald's make the world pick
(If any nigga got it) Shit Skinny finna get it
(Get it) While it's gettin good and hold it for a minute
Let that shit bubble, weigh it up and chop it when it's finished
(We gon' drop it when it's finished) for some dollars and some pennies
Like a dime relentless, Nappy niggaz all about the Benji's
(Benji?) Not the dog naw, we're talkin bout the dead prez
Slaw, with the hog mall, chicken wing and fed bread
Dough like the cash flow, finna keep my fo-cus
Spinnin like a twenty picture Skinny in a cold pit
(Spinnin like a twenty picture Skinny in a cold pit?)
Boy yeain't know that money make the world go
Hustlin for pennies, nine-four for it real slow

[Chorus]
[Stille] Dime, quarter, nickel, penny
[Skinny] Damn, ain't it funny how we all about the Benji's?
[Stille] Dime, quarter, nickel, penny
[Scales] Won't you give me a dollar since ya got so many
[Stille] Dime, quarter, nickel, penny
[Skinny] Damn, ain't it funny how we all about the Benji's?
[Stille] Dime, quarter, nickel, penny
[Scales] Won't you give me a dollar since ya got so many

[B. Stille]
(Whatchu want man?)
(?) said a hundred for that
Super happiness, a blunt and a sack
Who could we feel like this, I don't need no crack
Weed smoke comin out the front of the 'Lac (chrome)
Gun in the lap and a gun in the back
Come to realize we was goin that fast
I blink my eyes, follow runnin my tags (get out the car)
Next time I travel somewhere dirty I'ma come in a cab

[Scales]
I can't knock all the rocks you rock
How I'ma cop all them yachts ya got?
You get props on the bop-she-bop
Let's keep it all the way Nappy, when you hot you HOT!
Burn up a dime, sell a nickel at the corner
Throw a penny in the jukebox, damn it's outta order
Spinnin air, fumes blowin, silver spoons (Rick Shroeder)
The dollar value gets shorter as you get older
Hey come here for a minute
Don't tell nobody I told you but uh...
The dollar value gets shorter as you get older

[Chorus]

[R. Prophit]
Aww, y'all boys done up and done it, spun it, flaunt it
Jump my motorbike doin about a hundred, one gun and I'm blunted
Everybody fend for they self - they tell me strong-arm
while it's only ten on the shelf (watch out! watch out!)
Like this, Galloping Ghost flow ferocious
Break down bones like osteoperosis (ohh!)
Prophit's in a coma, back stuffed with explosives
Postage to the White House, fuck all that bullshit
It's kinda funny, everybody love money to death
Not that, 3% control America's wealth
Need some help? Look at yourself, sure ya do
Y'all feel like "fuck the world?" me too
(?), can't get rich being complacent
Know ya gotta rebel when ya can't make a payment
Water like ice cubes for big faces
Face it, we're livin with racists, outrageous
Wild, host-ile, shake up stages, contagious
Young baby don't have patience, what my name is?
R. Prophit (yes sir?) sing the cadence

[Chorus]

Dime, quarter, nickel, penny...
Dime, quarter, nickel, penny...
Dime, quarter, nickel, penny...

Artist: Nappy Roots
Album: Watermelon, Chicken & Gritz
Title: Dime, Quarter, Nickel, Penny

M. Haase

April 10, 2007 8:55 AM

Those who have watched Don Imus every day for at least eight years, as I have, know him.

There are those who will vilify him just for face time on T. V. It is obvious and it is repulsive.

If Afro Americans can call each other names and nothing is said...why all the fuss over a jest for effect that is the comedy aspect of the Imus show

He is a stand up guy. He did not start the conversation in which the "nappy ho" remark was made. But he is taking the full brunt of the scathing furor.

If he is fired MSNBC and CBS et al will lose viewers in droves.

I say to all his critics; crawl off the bandwagon. You disgust me more than what he said via a slip of the tongue. The remark was made about the Rutgers team, not about you. Let them castigate him, if any one. Certainly NOT you!!!

Just SHUT UP!

J. Mcquinn

April 10, 2007 2:53 PM

Imus should let the Rutgers girs run the news or comedy or whatever he calls it each week, be monitered and read only scripts written by them, then watch the ratings go up.

Dan Brown

April 11, 2007 9:13 AM

I just read where Staples and Procter & Gamble has pulled their ads from Imus. Everyone should boycott these two cowardly companies forever for giving into the likes of Al Sharpton and Jessie Jackson who are doing their usual grandstanding over the remarks Imus made about the rutgers Basketball team

JUDY GOURLEY

April 11, 2007 9:15 AM

I AM SO DAMN MAD AT THE CRUSADE AGAINST DON IMUS. HE AND HIS WIFE DO SO MUCH TO HELP THE CHILDREN OF THIS COUNTRY. I DON'T SEE AL SHARPTON STEPPING UP FOR ANY CHILDREN. HE IS A FAT BLOWHARD AND HAS NOW FOUND HIS NEXT BONE TO CHEW ON UNTIL IT IS ALL EATEN UP AND SWALLOWED. THERE ARE MUCH BIGGER THINGS TO WORRY ABOUT IN THIS WORLD THAN A DUMB AND STUPID REMARK MADE FROM MR. IMUS. I DON'T KNOW WHAT ELSE THE GUY CAN DO. HE HAS APOLOGIZED SO MUCH I AM SICK OF HEARING IT AND I LIKE THE GUY!!!! I AM HAPPY THE RUTGERS TEAM AGREED TO MEET WITH HIM AND I KNOW IN MY HEART A BETTER UNDERSTANDING WILL COME BETWEEN THESE GIRLS AND MR. IMUS. P&G WILL REGRET THEIR DECISION TO STOP ADVERTISEMENTS ON HIS SHOW AND GE-HOPEFULLY WILL MAKE THE RIGHT DECISION-THAT REMAINS TO BE SEEN. I AM BEHIND MR. IMUS 100%. WHEN THIS ALL COOLS DOWN AS IT WILL THEN MAYBE WE CAN GO AFTER THE HIP-HOP ARTISTS THAT DO NOTHING BUT DEMEAN THEIR WIVES, GIRLFRIENDS AND ALL WOMEN IN GENERAL {WHITE OR BLACK}. SEEMS TO ME THAT IS CALLED EITHER A DOUBLE STANDARD OR HYPOCRITICAL. I JUST CALL EM' AS I SEEM EM' AND THIS INCIDENT HAS PLAINLY BEEN SO BLOWN OUT OF PROPORTION IT MAKES ME SICK. AS TO HAROLD FORD JR-WHERE ARE YOU AT BUD? HIDING UNTIL THIS ALL BLOWS OVER? SO MUCH FOR FRIENDS!!! NICE GOING HAROLD!!!!!

waldo

April 11, 2007 1:12 PM

Imus isn't so dumb. he has bought a ranch and had others pay for it. He gives a few kids free meals during part of the year and gets more publicity for this?? what have we become???

Denna Bennett

April 11, 2007 1:35 PM

Hi,

In regard to Don Imus' recent statement regarding the Rutger's Girl's BB Team, it was wrong. However, if we're going to attack Don Imus, we must attack the RAP industry (mostly black artists), who are continuously putting women and their own race down with their vulger, highly sexual and suggestive language. This type of music and its language is influencing our youngest generations. So, if we're going to get serious about this kind of verbage and conduct,let's look at the whole picture, where it's going, and take action with everyone involved.

lparker

April 11, 2007 1:52 PM

For all of you standing up for Imus, let him call your mother, daughter and or wife a whore on national radio and see how lightly you take it. I am sure if Al Sharpton got on the radio and called anyone other than a black person a whore or anything out of their name people would be calling for his job. Stop making excuses for wrong, he was wrong and needs to answer for it.

arizona jimmy

April 11, 2007 2:15 PM

Why would a vegan be raising cattle? Is the ranch a home for old, un-eatable cattle? And what about withholding meat from sick children. What's up with that!

Gene

April 12, 2007 8:38 PM

You are wrong, Lparker. We couldn't call for Sharpton's job, or Jackson's for that matter, simply because neither of them has one....other than promoting racism and trying to keep blacks stirred up for their donations......talk about a scam!

JBarr

April 12, 2007 11:06 PM

And who named those two hypocrites of Sharpton and Jackson to be the 'moral compass' for the country?
They seen Imus on the ground, but approve of the music that introduced to us the term 'hos'? The I-man was wrong, but even worst is the double standards these two individuals maintain. They don't represent me, nor do they speak for me. If I found Imus offensive, I can turn the dial! And how do you classify NBC and CBS? As cowards. Nothing more but nothing less. Both of these two 'clowns' have made "mistakes" and but they were allowed to keep their jobs. Why couldn't the I-MAN?
It is really shocking that CBS and NBC can be so easily manipulated by these two individuals.
Imus has the right, in his program, to say whatever he wants to say. I have my right NOT to listen to it if I don't want to. But now I DON'T have MY right because Al determined that an expression originated not by Imus but in the black community and its music, degrades black females. Al, Jesse turn the radio on! Listen to the lyrics. Buy the books and read the lyrics. It wasn't Imus.
He may have said it in jest and in the context of his commedy show that apparently not many understand, but those of us who do, love.
XM? Sirius? ABC? Although Imus has said many times that he doesn't need the job, it is a sad day for the freedom of speech 'right' we value so much. Specially when it is trampled on by two individuals with the blessing of cowards as are the heads of CBS and NBC.

David

April 13, 2007 1:19 AM

The question is what have we become? Posted by Waldo on April 11th.
Well we don't have Corporal punishment in schools anymore because today's parents say that kids should not be spank. Any mass school shootings in the 1970's? "Hint, Hint." (I’m sure there may have been one)
Since Imus got fired for what he said, then when ANY "African-American" calls another "African-American" the "n" word on TV or radio or songs, then the advertisers should do the exact same thing!
If you want to stop racism... Well out law the KKK, (yes I know the first amendment), also no more Ebony or Jet magazines, no more United Negro College Funds, no more Latino magazines, no more NAACP (for those who don't know the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People), no more neo-Nazi’s, out law hate groups and all those support groups for a particular color of your skin or gender. Do this and you have solved the problem. Just remember that those groups who support the color of your skin or gender will also say that they are a minority and somehow that makes it ok. Even though the census says that African-Americans will out number European-Americans (mostly white people) in 2010. If that is the case should we not do what Andy Rooney said on 60 mins, come out with magazines named Cloud or something similar or the United White People college fund?
What Don Imus said was wrong and yet we claimed that we are a mostly Christian nation. If so then forgive and move on. Otherwise he who is without sin cast the first stone. Thank you MSNBC and CBS for being without sin!

anthony johnson

April 13, 2007 2:41 AM

what imus said was not bad have you watched broadcast tv some pretty bad things where aLWAYS said about whites and its classified as "comidic" and gotten away with it so why is this any diffirent

john supanik

April 13, 2007 8:30 PM

enough about imus how about some comments about http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kamau_Kambon

Jim Mc Guire

April 14, 2007 10:39 AM

The cost associated with kids with cancer at the Imus ranch should be compared to a stay at any hospital.
Imus the man is a product of the culture and enviornment, his sardonic manners are part of the genre and accepting this conduct is normal in entertainment.
The use of offensive and demeaning language angainst these young girls was inconsiderate and unfortunate.

Patrick O'Neill

April 14, 2007 5:52 PM

Wary is a word used to describe me and my contributions to charitable causes in the past. I've always thought that 30 to 50 percent of the monies went to the suit & ties running the charitable funds. Wary is a word that has been tossed into the trash can in the past 15 years, I have been making donations to causes suggested by the Imus Family. The Imus family , Don and his bride, are like a filter for the causes that are worthy of my money. I worry that I will be "wary" of giving if people like the Imus families are not around to prod me on into good causes for the children of this planet. Like my teacher , of driver's education , once stated to me; "You have to allow for the mistake's of others or you will get nowhere on this earth". Pat O'Neill

Jed Marlin

April 14, 2007 7:10 PM

Here's a funny satirical song about the whole Imus affair:

How is it that Kanye West can have a top ten hit with a barely blipped out N-Word, but Imus gets canned over a "ho" comment, which is very common in the national slang circles

waldo

April 15, 2007 1:33 AM

Don,

Thanks a lot for spending $28k per kid for a week of riding horses so people will pay for your ranch.. You're our kind of hero!

Keep up the bilking of America!!

Marilyn Camacho

April 15, 2007 10:17 AM

I loved the Imus show regardless of off color remarks he has made. It seems to me what has happened with this fiasko is make more people angry at each other.Blacks against whites & whites against blacks. Now if WalMart,Best Buys and all the other stores would stop selling gangster Hip Hop perhaps some things would change. Sharpson and Jackson should crawl back ito the woodwork.

Anna

April 15, 2007 12:45 PM

In respnse who would deprive sick children of meat. Factory farmed animals that are slaughtered and processed for human consumption is in my opinion the leading cause of cancer. Taking the burden of digesting dead animal full of hormones, chemicals, antibiotics, fillers, feces and unhealthy microorganisms and putting children on a pure unadulterated diet will allow their bodies to cleanse and purify. The body can then devot its energies to curing the cancer, or at the very least putting it in remission.

don soukup

April 15, 2007 3:01 PM

i hope this is not the end of the imus legacy
over the years i have seen imus bring attention
to our political discourse and to cut thru the
political bs that both parties try to force on
the populace. his voice must not be silenced.
his dedication to charity and actually
participating in this is an example
other millionares should follow. I feel personnaly
insulted by his guests abandoning him.
his crime is that his political influence has
so threatened the clintons and pharmacutical
companies they railroaded him.
Imus buy your own radio station,do it with a stock offering and I and the rest of your supporters will be waiting to invest.
I will remember the treatment that cbs and msnbc
gave you and will retalliate in kind.
how come no media has reported the 3.5 million
raised in the telethon after your suspension and
termination. I am sure that these organaization
will have to pay off your contract.

Beth Kirkland

April 15, 2007 4:13 PM

Separate issues. The ranch is one, and the negative comments another. Mr. Imus does not get a, "free pass for charity." A ranch house with a 14,000 square foot home sounds to me like personal pleasure, and the ranch is used 10 weeks per year for the kids? That leaves 42 weeks of personal use, (holidays, etc.). So much for charity! The remarks stand, and were hurtful. The advertisers had their voice, and so did the employees of MSNBC. Moving forward, he'll do well on radio. Beth

James Prince

April 16, 2007 3:35 AM

Injustice has prevailed once again

The firing of Don Imus brings back frustrating, and sad memories that hit all to close to home.

My father was radio personality Bob Arthur, of KABC’s morning talk radio program “The Ken and Bob Company”. It aired from 1969 to 1990 in Los Angeles, the second largest market in the United States. His show was never below 3rd place in the Nielson ratings for 17 years, and often at number one, which at that time, and in that market was a remarkable record. His awards consist of a Star on the Hollywood Walk of fame, numerous California Gold Medals, three Golden Mics, and congressional appreciation for a lifetime of achievement, to name a few. He was one of the most respected and dignified news anchormen in the industry.

In August of 1990 he was called into the office of KABC’s president and general manager, and was told he had one of two choices, either retire, or be fired. When asked why, his boss hinted that he was getting too old.

My dad chose to go out with dignity, and went off the air on September 14, 1990. He was 69.

I realize the circumstances surrounding the firing of Don Imus are dramatically different. While my father was fired due to his age, Don was due to his mouth. Nevertheless, injustice prevailed in both counts.

Why wasn’t Don Imus at least given the opportunity to go out gracefully, after such a remarkable career? Why didn’t CBS and NBC keep the suspension in place, and then tell Don Imus to resign? We know why . . . money! That’s why.

If sponsors such as GM, American Express, Sprint, and the like had not pulled their advertising dollars out of the equation, Don Imus would still be on the air.

Sure, the president and CEO of each of the networks, and others may claim it’s because of Al Roker’s article, or other employee’s outrage, but they’re not fooling anyone.

Al Roker is under contract with NBC, nothing more (despite his self-proclaimed belief that his is “America’s most loved weatherman”). To even suggest that he has “all mighty power and influence” over the networks is silly at best.

The fact of the matter is, if enough people found Al Roker offensive for any given reason, and complained to the sponsors of the “Today” show, he’d be out on his ear before he could say “stormy weather”.

There is only one thing that drives the networks and that’s ratings, which equals sponsors, which equals dollars. It was that way when my father was on the air, and it will be that way until the sun explodes. Take away the dollars, and the individual is worthless.

One day, I’m afraid Mr. Roker, may have to learn that hard fact for himself.

I’ve also heard many say that this issue has nothing to do with the first amendment, claiming that as long as your words are not hurtful, nor racial, then freedom of speech applies.

I believe a little clarification is in order. The Bill of Rights states;

''Every freeman has an undoubted right to lay what sentiments he pleases before the public; to forbid this, is to destroy the freedom of the press: but if he publishes what is improper, mischievous, or illegal, he must take the consequences of his own temerity.”

It does not say, that you can not utter illegal or improper statements (if it did, Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson would be in a heap of trouble) it merely states to be prepared for the consequences. Imus can say what ever he wants, but he has to pay the piper of his own impudence, and he has done just that.

The questions are;

“Was what Don Imus said illegal?”

No. However distasteful, it was not illegal. If it were, the FCC would have filed charges. As of yet, they have not.

“Was it improper?”

I believe it was, but many do not. Therefore, where is the infraction?

“Was it mischievous?”

Most certainly, but that is what he was, a mischievous character, for nearly 40 years. He was hired to be outrages, pushing the envelope at every given opportunity, and it is clear that this time he pushed too far. However, I believe his words did not have the spitefulness that is alleged.

Yes it was a tacky, salty, and a downright distasteful bad joke, but it wasn’t meant to be a means to an end (although that is exactly the outcome of his temerity, isn’t it?).

The truth, is that Don Imus has lived up to the responsibilities of the first amendment more than anyone involved.

He has paid for his audacity, first with his livelihood, and then with a heartfelt apology to the members of Rutgers basketball team, which they formally accepted I might add.

Has Al Sharpton lived up to his responsibilities for what he has said in the past? How about Jesse Jackson? If anything, they are the ones who are misusing free speech, for they don’t apologize for their racist and slanderous remarks.

What about Rosie O’Donnell? Has she taken her responsibilities seriously? She has blamed 9/11 on the federal government, with absolutely no proof of her accusations, and has also blatantly insulted Asians with her despicable on air mimicking of an oriental and their language.

Why is she still allowed a platform? Because she’s a woman? Because she’s gay (you talk about political quick sand) because the ratings are high? I wonder.

I find all three of them, not to mention countless others to be completely irresponsible with the privilege of air time.

I know many believe the reason Don Imus apologized in the first place is that he was trying to save his job.

Ah . . . he doesn’t need a job, folks. This is not some broke DJ, only on the air for three weeks. He has a 300 million dollar beach front home in Connecticut, a penthouse apartment with a 1,400 square foot balcony over looking Central Park West, and a 4000 acre cattle ranch in New Mexico.

The man has enough money to probably buy “Radio One”(the company that gives Al Sharpton his platform to spew his sly, and crafty racist point of view) wouldn’t that be a chuckle. I’d love to be at the board meeting!

Don Imus could care less about his job. What he cares about, is that he doesn’t go down as a bigot.

Don Imus is not a bigot. A bigot would have never apologized for those words. A bigot would have tried to justify what he said with further division, promoting more separation, and more racism.

Wait a minute . . . I just described Al Sharpton again.

I understand that when asked about Imus’ philanthropist achievements, Al Sharpton and Jessee Jackson said that was a separate issue, not to have any influence on the matter.

Not to have any influence? Well, isn’t that convenient. Are these guys making this up as they go along, or what? Tell me Reverend Sharpton, how do you separate a man’s character?

Talk is cheap (and they ought to know). A man’s moral fiber is measured more by what he does, then by what he says, although they would have us believe otherwise, since they talk a lot about civil rights but do little to defend them.

Perhaps this article dated April 13, 2007 by black columnist Jason Whitlock says it best;

“It’s time for Jesse and Al to step down. They’ve had 25 years to lead us. Other than their accountants, I’d be hard pressed to find someone who has benefited from their administration.”

This same columnist voiced his opinion on national television that both Al Sharpton, and Jesse Jackson were “terrorists” that went around lighting human fires to line their own pockets.

What they have achieved is debatable, especially in the black community, but what is clear, is that they have profited by the demise of others.

Seems to me, they have concentrated on dividing this country for the past 25 years, instead of uniting it, and the Imus affair is just the latest example.

History will judge Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson, as it will all of us. I believe it will show that they have achieved little more than division, discontent, anger, and yes . . . racism. They have driven a deeper wedge, and have left a legacy of contempt.

This world is a lesser place because of their bigotry. They should be the ones removed from public speaking. As a matter of fact, and as the son of a well respected radio broadcaster, I hereby call for them to be band from the airwaves effective immediately.

In the case of Al Sharpton, the charges are not only bigotry and slander, but the promotion of illiteracy.

In the interview with Don Imus, Al Sharpton said;

“So you think it’s not right that we axe for your resignation?”

Then, he said it again with;

“Well, let me axe you this.”

And then again, with;

“You are axing us to believe that you are not racist.”

Axe? AXING??? What in the world is this man doing on the radio?

Besides, that sounds like a threat to me. Sharpton says he wants to axe him, does that mean he wants to chop Imus up? If we can’t get him for assault, then perhaps we can prosecute him for slaughtering the English language!

Furthermore, I hereby demand that the church revoke his doctrine. This is no reverend! This is no Christian! This is a vulture, who hides behind the cloth.

I submit that Don Imus not only has light-years on Sharpton’s lexis (and no, I don’t mean the sedan) but that he has done more good through his deeds for people, be them black, white, yellow, brown, child or adult, than Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson could ever hope to achieve.

I believe this country is better because Don Imus has lived, and I am thankful for all he’s done.

You can silence Don Imus (in my opinion illegally) and with it my right to hear one of the most informative radio programs ever produced, but you can’t change his impact.

You can’t ignore the good this man has done, and you can’t say;

“Well, sure he’s raised millions of dollars for charity, but that doesn’t mean he’s a good person.”

HUH? What does it mean then?

Do I flush away all this man has done because of three words not even of his own design? I’m sorry, but that’s asking me to be blind to the truth, and I refuse to do so.

I’m proud to say, that no matter what, Al and J.J. can’t take away all the informative education, perspective, and charity I have learned by listening to “Imus in the morning” program.

If some shallow minds wish to place all I take with me, into the blurb of an asinine, and ill-mannered joke, uttered on live radio (of all things) then so be it.

Personally, I would like to thank Don and Deirdre Imus for their charity and hard work, along with Charles McCord, Bernard McGuirk, Lou Rufino, and all those that made up one of the funniest, talented, informative, diverse, and meaningful programs I have ever had the pleasure of listening to.

From the son of another great broadcaster . . . I thank you with all my heart.

Sincerely,

James “Arthur” Prince.

allan jacobson

April 16, 2007 12:48 PM

Imus will be missed. I appreciated some of the music he introduced me to by way of his show. Had never heard Delbert Mclinton prior to Imus show. I also developed a liking for Dwight Yokum thanks to Imus. He really got the shaft and I miss the show already!

loustarkey

April 16, 2007 3:02 PM

i amso very sad that they took imus off the air me and my husband watch it every moringit was so funny and all in fun.those woman didnt even know imus till those peace breaker sharpton started to bad mouth him and jackson couldnt even get a hunderd people to stay out side cbs with him these,twodont speak for the blacks in america. they havent done a 10th of what imus has done to help people more than al sharpton is behind this ,whocares what jackson or sharpton think.msnbc.want to get rid of imussign one mad black woman

John

April 16, 2007 3:21 PM

Anyone that thinks Mr. & Mrs. Imus are running this ranch to scam a few dollars are absolutely clueless. Don & Diedre Imus have spent their own time & money to give children a sense of self worth that unfortunately is taken away when they are diagnosed with a deadly disease.

God Bless Don & Diedre Imus! I for one hope that he is on the air soon and continues with his charitable work. I also hope he remebers who he is true friends are and treats the backstabbers like Harold Ford and Tim Russert appropriately.

Bonnie

April 16, 2007 10:33 PM

It's a shame that my generation(baby boomers) have just dumped our racial baggage on a generation that did not see color until Al and JJ got involved. We have just set America back years. Imus is being punished for repeating language that is heard daily. Apparenlty it was ok until repeated by a white man. It's all too sad. We will all be waiting to see Al and JJ (professional pick pockets) go to work on hip hop and rap. I'm waiting for Imus on XM or Sirius.

Lynne Santos

April 17, 2007 2:54 PM

I too miss the Imus in the Morning program and feel that the suspension should have been allowed to play out. It seems we live in such an intolerant world these days. I can't say it enough that Imus' program brought such intelligent conversation and information to a daily commute and I'm afraid we won't be able to replace that. One other comment - I can't believe the comments posted by such uninformed, hateful, ignorant individuals. People take three words and feel they know the individual. You have no idea!

gail

April 17, 2007 5:40 PM

Imus has said some really dumb things on his show,but he is NOT a Bigot. I can't say the same for Sharpton and Jackson! Imus also has some really stupid skits on his show. He has the best
interviews with guests, he is not afraid to ask
tough questions, questions that other interviewers
don't have the nerve to ask! The rehab center
for fallen heros would not have been built without his fund raising abilities. He brings important issues to the publics attention. Who will capture an audience for such causes now?
How many celebs spend there summers and vacations
helping sick children? The ho word would not be
in our language today in rap singers hadn't introduced it. I do not mean to excuse the offensive remarks that Imus made, I don't.
The good he does outweighs his insensitive and
idiotic remarks.

carolyn

April 21, 2007 7:59 AM

I can't help but wonder why no one has reported on the last trip to the Ranch. Imus flew out of route to pick up a sick child in Charlotte (child of color) to fly the child to a treatment center. Where were you then Al?

kbyrne

April 21, 2007 6:56 PM

I miss Imus in the Morning A LOT! I can't believe that Westwood One has those 2 idiots Mike and Chris taking over the time period. New York may get something out of Mike and Chris, yelling, talking over each other, not making any type of intelligent comments, but the rest of the U. S. doesn't care about the Mets or Yankee's. Two loud mouths yelling about nothing does not meet what the Imus audience Imus wants. Great in depth intelligent interviews about important, daily impact issues.

My mornings are empty and frustrating driving to work trying to find something entertaining on the radio. I speak for millions, Imus is not a prejudice bigot, he made a big mistake and admitted it and is truly sorry.

Linda Robitaille

April 21, 2007 11:16 PM

If you believe the firing of Don Imus was about race ask yourself the following:

1. - Why Don Imus? There are many shock jocks, rappers, etc far more offensive than Don Imus so why single out Imus?

2. - Why Now? You can't say because he crossed the line, Don Imus has been crossing the line for more than 30 years and often to a greater degress than this.

3. - Why Kill the Cash Cow? - Controversy does not turn off the type of people that listen to this type of material. Just like Hollywood, there is no such thing as bad publicity.

4. - Corporate America developed a Social Conscience? - Only possible if you believe in the "Enlightenment Fairy?"

MOST IMPORTANT
5. - Why did the ntetwork people invite Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton to wiegh in on this issue? That makes as much sence as a bank robber going home after a heist and call 911 to ask their opinion on whether it was an armed robbery because he held a gun on the teller.

Anyone who has followed the Imus show knows that Deidre Imus has become a more frequent and outspoken guest on Don's show. Do you think it is a co-incidence that Don Imus' firing came within two weeks of Diedre's appearance on the Today Show promoting her new book on cleaning product that you make out of ordinary household products that are not only inexpensive but free of toxins that are dangerous to your health. Deidre's rebuttal to the industry's statement that these products have been proven safe was unequivical, just not true she said. I had two thoughts at the time: 1. This woman has cast-iron gonads! - 2. There is going to be fallout! Take a look at a list of the sponcors and tell me this is all coincidence.
The cleaning industry's statements that the ingredients in their products are safe is the 21st century equivalency to the tobacco industry touting there is no scientific evidence that smoking is injurous to your health.
I am not alone in this stance, needless to say, however, it's pretty difficult to get any time on the airwaves. Instead of "...now a word from our sponcors." it's "..NOT A WORD" say the sponcors.

martha morgan

April 25, 2007 6:49 PM

I am still fuming over the terrible treatment of Don Imus. He did wrong, he apologized. and vowed to change. I suppose Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson would like to drain the blood from him since they are vultures. God tells us from the good book that if we sincerely apologize and repent of our wrongs to others we will be forgiven. Where were the tw above mentioned Reverends when the attack and slaughter of the 32 innoncent students at Virginia Tech. You did not hear a peep from either one. They did not go V>T> to offer sympathy or help. These 32 students were of various cultures, color and nationality. They did not go because they would not be the center of attention . Jesse Jacksons
fathering a child out of wed lock while married to his present wife was certainly not a good moral standard for him to convey to black males. Jesse Jackson has degraded black women more times than Don Imus has toes, and I believe Imus has all of his digits. Leave Imus alone and get rid of the two men who have set the black community by at least 50 years. God Bless Mr. Imus and his
family and much luck, Martha Morgan Bham Al

PattyAnn

May 13, 2007 7:53 AM

Yes, I know it's May 13, and yes I'm still mad as hell about Imus being fired. If you didn't like him, you probably didn't watch him anyway. If you think his charity spends too much money per child, don't give. If you don't like Imus products, don't buy them. I don't like Howard Stern, Rush Limbaugh, or Michael Savage, so I don't listen to them. That's my choice. You have the power to change the station and donate to the charities of your choice. I'm sure all the critics of the Imus Ranch give generous donations to what they consider "more worthwhile" charities.

Tina Colvard

May 15, 2007 3:32 PM

Mr. Imus,
Here's another story that needs the attention of the REVS AL & JESSE, but they are no where to be found....Knoxville Tn, The rates & murders of Christopher Newsom & Channon Christian, two innocent young people. Oh, by the way, they are white and the rapist & murderers are Black.
This story just can't seem to make it on any national level. Wonder Why ! It sickens me to know that people can be this cruel...please get this story out to the public.
Thanks & God Bless
Tina Colvard

Donna Hanlon

May 18, 2007 6:01 PM

I miss the Imus in the Morning program. I didn't even give MSNBC a second thought until I found Imus one morning while flipping the channels. I really enjoyed watching the program every morning (can't stand the other "morning shows"). What struck me was the lack of any kind of loyalty. I am fairly certain Don Imus brought more viewers to MSNBC than all the other program hosts put together on that station. Well, loyalty stands for something. I have not watched MSNBC since the day they dumped Imus and I will not watch MSNBC again. As for CBS and NBC, I watch almost none of their programming and absolutely none of their news shows. Watching the statements of news program directors from MSNBC and CBS was laughable and so very transparent. To claim that the decision (to can Imus) was difficult but that the feelings of other employees had to matter (i.e. Al Roker), why didn't it matter before when I-man said "outrageous" things? And does MSNBC think the African American community will be impressed with the so-called stand they took in firing Imus over the comment? I doubt anyone would seriously think of MSNBC as a color-friendly news based station. I can't recall any African American program hosts on MSNBC. Now that I think about it, it's probably the whitest station on television. Another thing that I take offense at is all the talk about abuse of the "public airwaves". While I realize the Imus show was sent out on radio, as a viewer on cable MSNBC, I paid for that programming, every month with my cable bill.
I can't even understand why anyone, and I mean anyone, gives any credence to Al Sharpton and Jessie Jackson. These two racists have a license to operate, freely given to them by our media. Frankly, they conduct periodic witch hunts and like all witch hunts in history, they are lead by people with "Reverend" in their name.
Don and Deidre, I wish you peace and to know how many people of all colors support the work you do. Hope to see Don Imus back soon.

Trish

July 3, 2007 6:27 PM

Please come back Imus!! I can't believe Sharpton was filling in for Matthews on "Hawd Baww ". Who wants to watch that?? You and the gang are sorely missed.
No matter how "hawd" MSNBC tries...there is no one like you.

Charles Harris

July 3, 2007 7:53 PM

I won't get into the Imus Ranch issue except to say that it exists and I hope it does a lot of good for the kids.

What I can say about Don Imus after first listening to him in 1971 is that he is tremendously talented and is able to surround himself with at least equally talented people. But most importantly, he is what he said he is...a good person. I have heard him zero in on issues that are crucial and hold on to them when others bounce and flit around to more popular and pleasant ones. He never let up on the Walter Reed Army Hospital issue or on the possible causes of autism. These were not pleasant issues, but he knew they were important. You ARE a good man Don Imus for more reasons than anyone knows.

John

August 5, 2007 11:57 AM

Imus - Shrewd, insightful and, yeah, sometimes crass. So? We’re adults here, theoretically capable of making choices. I doubt many kids spend their early mornings watching MSNBC, but if they do they’re probably mature enough to discern an ill-conceived, dumb joke from racist rhetoric. The Rutgers girls were not "scarred for life" until the media told them they should be.
Scarborough’s style - loud, interrupting, unoriginal, repetitive - annoys me so much I’ve switched to CNN and even to FOX on occasion. Ugh.
Imus’ interviews, bands, book reviews & witty banter held my attention such that 9:00 arrived much too soon. Like a modern-day Mark Twain rapping about the state of the world: at times a braggart (okay, a lot of the time) and at times ranting & raving a bit too much about his personal campaigns - but more often than not they were humanitarian: autism, cancer, ‘green-the-clean’ and, oh yeah, Sickle Cell Anemia. Would one really believe he hates blacks?
And with the mind-boggling bevy of current presidential candidates, many of whom who would have appeared on his show, I especially miss his ability to force them to the sometimes embarrassing & painful point. I suspect the phonies among them are breathing a sigh of relief.

John

August 5, 2007 12:19 PM

[Sorry if previously posted; I received no confirmation]

Scott

August 14, 2007 7:02 PM

The Imus's do a lot of great things but they tend to do it in an unconventional manner. They are a unique couple. They are in a financial position to do a lot of good things. They are passionate about their causes. They speak their mind and in doing so they rub people the wrong way. And until recently they had a platform to accomplish their goals. The I-man's schtick is wearing thin. He blew a good thing. He crossed the line this spring. One moment he can be conducting the most intelligent interview with some of this country's leading public figures and the next moment he is engaged in maligning. trach talking gutter language. Now is the time for the I-man redefine who he is. He is not going to get another chance. It is time for him to put the things that he and Diedre are passionate about first and not his ego. If he never worked another day in his life his lifestyle would not suffer but the charities that he raised money for and the children that they help are suffering the most.

NEVA RITCHIE

September 1, 2007 7:22 PM

oh my do i MISS THE iMUS SHOW IN THE MORNING!!!!!! iNSPITE OF THEIR CRAZY HUMOR(WHICH I LOVED), IT WAS A VERY INFORMATIVE SHOW.ANYONE WITH JUST A TINY BIT OF INTELLIGENCE KNEW AND UNDERSTOOD IMUS.I AM WAITING FOR HIS GREAT RETURN!!!!!!!

Geoffrey

September 12, 2009 1:25 AM

i am a poor guy tamil speaking living at sri lanka,i need some one who can help me by donate some money to make my self living easy and coming out from my problems,please contact.

Thanks,