Businessweek Archives

What's the Web Say About Superbowl Ads? Doritos a Big Hit

? T.S. Eliot on deadlines and three-column stories |

Main

| Stopping in Houston? Who do you call? ?

February 05, 2007

What's the Web Say About Superbowl Ads? Doritos a Big Hit

Heather Green

Fred Wilson says this Doritos spot, the consumer-created ad that won the contest the company ran, was his favorite. And it looks like lots of other folks like it too.

Jim Nail at Cymphony, an online analytics firm, says that in tracking online discussions, "almost half of the discussions of the Doritos ads are positive and almost none are negative. At Cymfony, we almost never see this strong of positive reaction for any brand."

Nail also points out that, in counting the impressions that the ad got in coverage, Cymphony found that the ad generated over 140 million between January 1 and February 2-- far more, Nail says, than the 90 million he estimates it will get during the game.

Me? I liked the Doritos one a lot, but my favorite was the Coke ad, showing the inside of a Coke machine. Nail says this ad delivers sizzle and steak.

09:53 AM

TrackBack URL for this entry:

I was paying attention for different reasons. My first thoughts turned out to be based on an incorrect assumption; but while investigating further, it turns out my point might have been strengthened by the more accurate comparison. You might be interested in why I was watching: http://blog.rebang.com/?p=1156

Posted by: csven at February 5, 2007 11:39 AM

ditto for the coke factory ad. it went for that rube goldberg pleasure center of the brain for those of us with one. k-fed wasn't that bad. pretty funny. although i don't remember what he was selling, except that it wasn't fast food. and the one where people dressed up in office supplies were going mediaeval on each other was hilarious. but, of course, who remembers what they were selling either. coke wins with that bottle in the middle of the screen the whole time.

Posted by: schadenfreudisch at February 5, 2007 01:11 PM

The Dorito's ad was great! It made us laugh and we rewound and watched it again. There were a bunch of funny ads and a whole bunch of ones that tried to be funny but really weren't. The Snickers kiss ad was pretty funny but I bet the majority of people were skeeved out by the men kissing.

And I fast forwarded right past the K-Fed ad, that guy needs nothing but the world to ignore him until he goes away for good.

The Coke bottle fill and delivery ad was over the top and fun to watch.

And Toyota gets a thumbsdown for using the tired Steve Young hybrid commercial, it wasn't very good the first hundred times and it definitely didn't live up to Super Bowl specs.

Posted by: Erik at February 5, 2007 03:31 PM

I could swear that coke machine ad is from last year's superbowl. I know the premiere was not this weekend. Oh well.

Doritos ad was cute, but Robert Goulet was my favorite by far.

Posted by: Patrick at February 5, 2007 03:39 PM

I think Budweiser is going to lead the polls for the best commercial again this year. However, there were a few more contenders this year; in particular I like the robot from General Motors.

See for yourself, Super Bowl Commercial Poll: http://todayspolls.googlepages.com/superbowl_commercials

Posted by: Blake at February 5, 2007 04:56 PM

Hey Patrick,

Do you think you could have seen the Coke ad at the movies? When the other one came up, the game ad, I poked my boyfriend in the ribs and said, hey that was on TV already. and he said, no, i think we saw it at the movies.

Posted by: Heather Green at February 6, 2007 06:46 PM

I've read a number of comments from people who are saying the same thing... and not just about the Coke ad.

Posted by: csven at February 6, 2007 07:40 PM

Monsanto vs. GMO Haters
LIMITED-TIME OFFER SUBSCRIBE NOW

(enter your email)
(enter up to 5 email addresses, separated by commas)

Max 250 characters