Businessweek Archives

Perhaps I'd be a Terrible Judge of On-Air talent

? Domo Arigato, Mr. Jobs |

Main

| From The Department of "Doy": Ad Age Blows The Lid Off Kevin Roberts' "Book." ?

January 01, 2007

Perhaps I'd be a Terrible Judge of On-Air talent

David Kiley

I think it's true. The ever bankable Rachel Ray does have a smile that reminds me of Jack Nicholson's "Joker" character. Furthermore, I'll join the chorus of those who thinks she is downright annoying, cloyingly sweet and a very limited talent in the kitchen.

What's up with the Food Network and its choices of talent, and the apparent response of the audience? Or, maybe more to the point...what's up with me? Another rising Food Network star, Paula Deen, is actually more irritating and annoying to me than Ray. ThatIs there anything more annoying than that over-the-top caricature of a kitchen-happy sappy, syrupy, Southern woman? Please....not while I'm eating. I should say here that I like the Food Network, and watch way too much food related TV. And as if Deen wasn't bad enough, the FN is convinced that her no-talent, equally annoying sons are deserving of a show. It had to be in Deen's contract. Perhaps they wouldn't couldn't get the money together to leave the house. The sons are, as Daniel Boorstin said, "are famous for the fact that they are well known." Well, they are well known for the fact that their Mom is well known. This sort of celebrity by association or name brand is disgusting. Paging Paris Hilton, Giada DeLaurentis and George W. Bush.

Back to the possibility that I am a poor judge of who works well on camera. Bush got elected twice. Ray will soon surpass Rupert Murdoch for media properties. Deen is making herself and FN lots of money.

NutriSystem has been running an ad featuring a woman I want to see in my backyard just so I could have the pleasure of tossing an active beehive at her. It can't be her personality or voice that keeps her on-camera husband in the picture. She catterwalls and shrieks about the few sizes she lost and how she can eat chocolate on the NutriSystem plan. Egad! Thank god for the mute button and DVR.

It's all a humbug. Happy New Year.

03:58 PM

celebrity brands

TrackBack URL for this entry:

I think people are drawn to Rachel Ray because she is average. She reminds me of one of my best friends (sorry Amber), with her giddy, unassuming, tomboy attitude. I think anyone could come up with the menu items she prepares or crafts she does. But she's smilie & down-to-earth - and that's endearing. She seems like someone you could go out to dinner with at your local Denny's, you know, the type that would not be embarrased by eating out at a dive. Everyone would have a good time. That is what I think people see in that girl.

Posted by: trixie at January 4, 2007 06:06 PM

You're right about the Nutrisystem girl. "Look at me. I'm a size two-uh." What a dingbat. I'd never consider doing business with a company that has no better judgment than to put somebody on their commercials who grates on everybody's nerves and sends you running for the remote control mute button.

Posted by: rocki at January 16, 2007 07:26 PM

ALL of the NutriSystem commercials are hideously irritating. The horrible shrieking "size 2" harridan has a voice that nearly shatters the glass on my TV screen. With her androgynous facial features, her overexposed capped teeth, her mugging and grimacing, her announcing that she "feels so sexy" when she now has to wear a padded bikini top to look halfway presentable in a bathing suit, she's enough to convince anybody to swear off all diets forever.

Then there's the men's version of NutriSystem, where some poor benighted male announces how much weight he's lost, and says that now his wife doesn't find him as disgusting. What kind of a horrible person would talk to his or her spouse that way? The commercial condones that type of reprehensible attitude and behaviour.

Their commercials are SO unbearable that I hope somebody organizes a PERMANENT boycott not only of NutriSystem, but of their ad agency, every actor or personality who has ever appeared in their commercials, and so on and so forth. Let's put those clowns out of business and bring some taste and civility back into our living rooms!

Posted by: Kitty at January 23, 2007 10:16 PM

As if the "size 2" banshee wasn't enough, now NutriSystem is constantly running a commercial in which some poor chicken-chested stick figure proclaims she has a "smokin' hot body". Uh, lady, we can SEE you in this commercial.

Posted by: Jayne at April 10, 2007 01:32 PM

I would rather look like a hippo than patronize Nutrisystem. I have stopped watching

some channels because I can no longer stand the CONSTANT deluge of Nutrisystem harpies. Did you notice that the camera never stays on them for very long and is blurry? Hmmmmm... But I do

get a big kick out of the one who says "my husband now jokingly calls me his trophy wife"

My husband always adds "As opposed to what? His big fat slob"? Anyone who would brag about their shallow, obnoxious spouse that way deserves to be shot, and any woman who was happy about it needs a backbone, a brain, and then a steamroller to drive over said husband.

Posted by: NJ at April 16, 2007 01:38 PM

That hillbilly woman who says "my husband, he said I was hot" is one of those people you just want to smack in the face. I think her husband should say "was your last grammar class in the 5th grade?". As far as the "trophy wife"...perhaps the husband should mount her on the wall over the fireplace.

STOP WITH THE STUPID COMMERCIALS!

Posted by: kmk at April 22, 2007 10:14 AM

Nutrisystem has a knack for finding irritating formerly fat people. "My husbun, he sez I'm hot." Please. Another irritating commercial is the Countrywide Mortgage one where the guy with the bad teeth smiles and blabs. Couldn't they afford to give him some dental work before they put him on tv?

Posted by: Rocki at April 23, 2007 09:35 AM

The last word from the "trophy wife"

Posted by: gmcm at May 2, 2007 05:41 PM

Those STUPID commercials of Countrywide Mortgage just make me want to puke. They say there is no fee for this, no fee for that, no fee, no fee. If they don't charge any fees, how can they afford all those DISGUSTING, INANE, commercials?

Posted by: CYRUS at May 10, 2007 05:43 AM

Burger King's Young Buns
LIMITED-TIME OFFER SUBSCRIBE NOW

(enter your email)
(enter up to 5 email addresses, separated by commas)

Max 250 characters