Businessweek Archives

Dell's blog needs full-time support

? Advice for a freshman |

Main

| The Mayo Clinic: An information company ?

September 02, 2006

Dell's blog needs full-time support

Stephen Baker

I've been reading Dell's One2One blog. I think it does a good job responding to specific tech questions, like the battery recall. But when the Dell blog responds to a critical article in the Wall Street Journal, comments pour in, a number of them with specific consumer complaints. These comments are just crying out for a Dell response, and I don't see any.

One commenter details the three-week ordeal to get a repair. The wait was compounded, he writes, because the Dell contractor insisted on shipping DHL, even though DHL doesn't service his part of the country. A corporate blog has to respond to complaints like this, and quickly. Otherwise it looks like they're not listening.

Logistically, this is a challenge, because Dell's lead blogger may be enjoying (perish the thought!) the long weekend. Still, they need someone to write at least a filler response, in essence: Thanks for the comment, sorry about the troubles, we'll get a real response up on Tuesday. What's more, the comment moderation is slow. (I know, I know, we have that problem too...) The angry commenter posted his lengthy complaint at 10:11 yesterday morning. Eight hours later, suspecting that Dell is censoring criticism, he complains that they haven't approved his comment. A company like Dell (and especially Dell) needs a near constant eye on its blog.

07:38 AM

business blogging

I couldn't agree more. I have the same issues with my news site. Right now it's more of a hobby, but people really do like to have swifter responses. I know I do. We've all come to expect immediacy in the hurry-hurry world of today. Dell can certainly afford what you're suggesting. They can't afford not to.

Posted by: Rich at September 2, 2006 12:30 PM

Stephen, I thought you were writing a book? What will you do if Dell offers you the spot? Seriously though, you are right. Someone needs to at least do as you suggested. Better yet, the people who have cried out for attention should at least get an email sent to them (Dell gets that with the comment, right?) letting them know they need to enjoy their weekend with assurances that a rep will get with them after the weekend to try and rectify their issue.

Posted by: MikeS at September 2, 2006 07:15 PM

Stephen:

Dell doesn't get it. While their advertising campaign says Dell is "customer-centric," their actions scream otherwise.

Their Blog may be a response to customers' concerns regarding technical issues. However, weblogging is about fast two-way communications, so when posts are slow to appear or go unanswered, the Brand smashes to earth by saying "Dell does not care about customers."

As a long-time communicator and marketer, I think Dell would be better off with no advertising campaign and no Blog, if they are unable to keep the brand promises those tools communicate. In both instances, they are over-promising and under-delivering.

Posted by: Lewis Green at September 3, 2006 12:02 PM

Lenovo - the "new dell". Cent had a podcast recently which asked - was Lenovo the new Dell. Maybe it is. After an extensive review of noetbooks from Dell, HP, Lenovo, Sony, Toshiba and Gateway I select a Lenovo 3000. You can read the full review here - http://www.smallbiztechnology.com/notebook

I'll be reviewing the Lenovo I bought soon.

Overall, however, EVERY vendor is going to have horror stories and every vendor will have praises from customers.

Ramon Ray, Publisher, Small Business Technology Report

Posted by: Ramon Ray at September 3, 2006 06:53 PM

I have written about one instance like this after a reader commented on several of my dell posts.

Read them here

Posted by: Andy Brudtkuhl at September 12, 2006 02:29 PM

Yeah, their blog is filled with specific consumer complaints rather than good informations, its better to have no blog if they are unable to manage it properly as such blog may dilute their brand.

Posted by: server management at September 13, 2006 09:02 AM

Easy to follow step-by-step guide to financial freedom by buying real estate

Posted by: John Beck at September 15, 2006 01:59 PM

Note: From the Dell blog.... Conversation is encouraged and expected. However, moderation of comments is necessary to prevent spam, profanity and off-topic commentary. Comments related to specific product support or customer service issues will be addressed separately rather than posted here. Please use the links in Contact Us for product and customer service assistance.

This is all I need to read. It's at the end of a Dell company Blog.

Dell does not stand by the product they make! nor do they want comments that are negative about their customer service. The ViPs are all out to lunch and counting the money they suckered off the public. My XPS stands for xtra Piece of ____, crimped cables, a Hitachi 500gb(not covered) crashed drive, the LCD monitor has fingerprints and dirt inside the screen, electrical shorts with the media reader, dvdrw that doesn't work and not recognized the CD writer is in the same sinking cheap part boat. The machine hasn't worked properly since day one. Sometimes I think they sent me somebody's return.

No Way in Hell buy a Dell. There's a saying about the fool and his money, Don't be a Victim and don't buy their advertising. The Dell people could care one ioda about the consumer. I thought I was purchasing a top of the line machine and when the drive crashed 10 days out of warranty the tech found a cut cable, when he went into the machine to replace the drive, he also told me he had six XPS's sitting on the work bench waiting for their shoddy parts to be sent from the factory. SAVE YOURSELF the TROUBLE and purchase a Sony or Compact anything but Dell and don't say you haven't been warned. Call customer service and see how your treated, Ill tell you quickly, anyone on the other side of the world could care less about your computer, and the problems your having, any executive from Dell that reads this I do have pity on you, your company stinks, its a good thing you people don't make airplanes or cars..... Service Tag 2LYPZ71 Tjelen .................

Like Mister 'T' says 'I PITTY THE FOOL'

Posted by: Tom Jelen, Chicago, Illinois at November 29, 2006 03:04 PM