Businessweek Archives

Stolen Cell Phone and Breaking Down Boundaries

? Battery Recall: Win for the Web |

Main

| This Week's Podcast with VC Dan Nova ?

August 30, 2006

Stolen Cell Phone and Breaking Down Boundaries

Heather Green

My editor sent along this little gem that shows how social networking is bringing down the barriers (if iinadvertently)between the public and private realms.

Ben at Practicalist had his cell phone stolen. But serendipitously he got some insight into who has his phone now--because the ShoZu service he had installed to automatically upload photos from the phone to Flickr kept working. So now he has insight into someone else's life, including the dog he has and the car he drives.

11:42 AM

society

TrackBack URL for this entry:

I take it you didn't hear about the kid who did the same thing some months back and decided to take cam photos of himself and his girlfriend... y'know the rest.

Posted by: csven at August 30, 2006 01:14 PM

Ahhhh...Oh boy! I missed that one. But I did think about the extent of what you could end up seeing.

Posted by: Heather Green at August 30, 2006 01:28 PM

Here's where I first heard about it: http://www.wired.com/news/privacy/0,1848,68668,00.html

Posted by: csven at August 30, 2006 02:35 PM

Hea hinnaga m??bel:

Posted by: barnie at September 7, 2006 10:32 AM

Lately there has been a lot of buzz lately on the personal information that can be recovered from phones sold on eBay.

The article on CNN (http://www.cnn.com/2006/TECH/ptech/08/30/betrayed.byacellphone.ap/index.html) about TrustDigital purchasing 10 phones on eBay and discovering tons of personal information has been the source of the most recent buzz.

In addition, a friend of mine was telling me about some high profile business man in Hong Kong who lost his cellular phone with video of his movie star wife taking a shower. The taxi driver that found the phone apparently tried to blackmail him, and ended up posting the video on the 'net.

I don't think you need to be Paris Hilton, or the CEO of GE (remember his wife found his notes to his mistress on his Blackberry) to loose personal information. With camera phones all over the place and drafts of documents being sent between blackberries all the time, I'm sure everyone has something on their phone, blackberry, or wireless PDA that would best be kept personal.

A new product that is currently in beta, but looks like an outstanding tool, is the Mbience Security Suite (http://www.mbiencegroup.com/).

It offers syncronisation (S-Sync), encryption, and most importantly, the ability to destroy remotely the contents of the device if it is lost (Q-Switch). Once the critical info (like mobile wallet info) is destroyed their L-Report function will report the loss to the credit card company or IT security group.

It looks like a comprehensive solution, and worth taking a look at.

Cheers

Victor

Posted by: Victor Biro at September 11, 2006 02:20 PM

Hi All,

I have seen this site, and also the pictures shown there saying that the guy who stole the phone took them.

I don't think this is a real story there are too many things that are just coincidential, lets say, the guy had the same career or different one but with a data plan, so the images get uploaded up there the secodn he took them.

Again, just two picture, if a guy had stolen a phone, he must have liked it, and he just took two pictures outta it.

and again a update three saying that he uploaded the image of the car as wallpaper, come one dude get real, he knows you have a account and pictures are going there and still he sends up a car image, what is he a guy from the company who offers the services of image uploading.

I dont think it something real.

Thoughts ?!?

Posted by: Free Cell Phone at September 14, 2006 03:20 AM

Please, my motorola phone is stolen, and the only thing i have as identity of the phone is its IMEI number. I want to have a clue of how i can either destroy or lock the phone from being used by the thief.

Thanks

Posted by: stanley at September 23, 2006 08:39 AM

My Motorola L6 Has Been Stolen By Somebody, And Now I Just Have The IMEI Number Which Is # 352512-01-748593-7 Please Mail Me If You Guys Know The Trick How To Trace Or Track That Mobile Please Please Please... Faisal

Posted by: Faisal at November 10, 2006 09:50 AM

My SamsungE40E HAS been stolen in a bank in strand i have only the phone number which is 0843035262...... Please try and trace down or track that mobile.. Please please....Annaliese

Posted by: Annaliese at November 22, 2006 03:56 AM

this is the fourth time my phone will be stolen and this time i wish to destroy it. it is a nokia 7610 and my IMEI no:357087005819350 . could you help with methods? Thanking you for your anticipated co-operatiopn

Posted by: Vincent Aigbokhan at December 2, 2006 09:18 AM

My Motorola Razr was stolen, and i have a lot of info on it. I know who took it and the person ha refuse to give it back.

How do i block or destroy it. I have the imei number.

Thanks.

Posted by: Moses Tennyson at December 9, 2006 12:49 AM

My Motorola vpi silver color phone has stolen, my phone emie no.is 352503011867691.

please help me how i can trace it.

Dharmendra sharma

Posted by: Dharmendra Sharma at February 17, 2007 02:31 AM

my phone was stolen yesturday.. its a cingular 8125.. and it is still on right now so if there is any way i can track it i would VERY VERY MUCH APPRECIATE IT... thanks

Posted by: Justin Palmer at February 18, 2007 04:39 PM

my phone is stolen and it's a samsung t609 and if you could track it down I would really appreciate it. I have been to a lot of web sites but nobody could help me....HELP PLEASE....Thanks

Posted by: brisa at March 9, 2007 04:55 PM

My spice s 808 Has Been Stolen By Somebody, And Now I Just Have The IMEI Number Which Is # 359688000079771 Please Mail Me If You Guys Know The Trick How To Trace Or Track That Mobile Please Please Please... alok

Posted by: alok at April 3, 2007 05:12 AM

hi i have lost my cell phone motorola C261 can u

please help me to trace the mobile.urgent

Posted by: neelesh at April 16, 2007 12:53 PM