Businessweek Archives

Starbucks And Jet Blue--You Are Losing Me.

Innovation Pays Off--P&G Gets Great Earnings. |

Main

| Bono Buys Into Forbes, Launches Product Red in US and Expands His Brand.

August 04, 2006

Starbucks And Jet Blue--You Are Losing Me.

Bruce Nussbaum

Starbucks stock price isn't doing too well, and neither is JetBlue's, while other cX companies (companies that give good consumer experience) have strong earnings and strength in the stock market. What gives?

My own personal experiences in recent weeks may explain the problem--and the need to solve it before people look at Starbucks and JetBlue the way they often look at Detroit. So...On a flight back from Fort Lauderdale last Sunday on JetBlue (my favorite airline), the plane was late, the seat and floor were dirty (I stepped in gum as I sat down and it stuck to my shoe the whole trip--now that's a nice experience), and the coffee (Dunkin Donuts) was awful. It tasted burnt. A couple more of this kind of experience and JetBlue will lose me.

Starbucks too. I have a favorite Starbucks near where I work and I stop in many times a week to get my caffeine. Lately, they changed the line process. Instead of two lines or three lines, there is now one long line. Way too long for me as I race to work. They're losing me. And in this heat, I like my iced coffee. In the past, I got it pretty fast. Now, I wait in the same line behind people ordering some pretty complex, fancy stuff. That means waiting even longer. So, now I poke my head into the Starbucks--and walk away. Not a great consumer experience.

I don't know how typical my recent personal experience with JetBlue and Starbucks is, but if any bigshots at those companies are reading this, listen up. YOU ARE LOSING ME. CLEAN UP YOUR ACT.

01:44 PM

innovation

TrackBack URL for this entry:

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference Starbucks And Jet Blue--You Are Losing Me.:

Starbucks Stock Price Down Due To Poor Customer Experience from Experience Planner

Starbucks’ stock has taken a beating over the last three months. Why? You can chalk it up to three words: poor customer experience.

Poor customer experience is responsible for a 22% drop in Starbucks’ stock price over the last three month... [Read More]

Tracked on August 9, 2006 05:37 PM

Starbucks Downward Spiral from walk on

Scott over at Experience Planner provides a great write up on why Starbucks' stock has plunged over the past few months. Bruce Nussbaum provides some additional thoughts on how Starbucks is losing him. Scott and Bruce make very valid points [Read More]

Tracked on August 10, 2006 01:17 AM

great site with very good look and perfect information...i like it

Posted by: Dirk Karl Maßat at August 5, 2006 12:41 AM

Hi Bruce,

Firstly, congratulations for this fantastic blog. I consider innovation as the key factor for prosperity in every field you work on.

I agree with you in your experience about Starbucks in Europe. I used to spend my summers in Edinburgh, where I took my cofees and chocolates very quickly. Nowadays I am in New York, and I realized that I have to wait a lot just in order to get my coffee and that is very annoying. I don't have any experience with JetBlue, but so far, my short experience in the US says that I have to wait in a lot of places (not to mention in the Mail Offices -waiting half an hour for sending two letters!).

Anyway, I agree with you that companies such as Starbucks or JetBlue should put more attention with their relationship with consumers if they don't want to lose them.

Thank you for your Blog!

Manuel Baigorri (Spain)

Posted by: Manuel at August 5, 2006 05:29 PM

Hi Bruce,

Maybe you saw this:

Seems directly related to your observations and reasons for skipping Starbucks occassionally.

I've been keeping an eye on the impact that customer experience has on business performance (http://www.scottweisbrod.com/index.php/?p=121) and appreciate some of the posts you've published in relation to this (a recent post about Jeneanne Ray from Peer Insight comes to mind).

Cheers,

Scott

Posted by: Scott Weisbrod at August 9, 2006 05:45 PM

next time fly delta out of fll. great experience!!

Posted by: lynne at February 19, 2007 03:54 PM

Thanks for informations.Great works thanks

Posted by: Partner at March 9, 2007 01:50 PM

Great for this document i search hours ,now i found it

Thanks

Timo

Posted by: Timo Cellun at March 18, 2007 01:49 PM

hi Brus,

I'm from germany and my english is not so gut!!

but wat i anderstand is very good >

Urlaub mit unserem kleinen Border-Collie Linus in Irland, Schafe hüten will gelernt sein und Linus wollte immer mehr! Linus ist am 06.09.2004 geboren. Wir haben Linus im Alter von 8 Wochen von einem Bauern bekommen, seither ist er unser treuer Begleiter. Urlaub ist ohne Linus nicht mehr denkbar. Unseren letzten Urlaub haben wir in Irland verbracht. Dieses hatte zweierlei Gründe: Erstens wir wollten mit Linus Hüten lernen und zweitens wollte Sabine, meine Partnerin, ein Wiedersehen mit Irland

Posted by: Heinz at April 4, 2007 11:47 AM

hi Bruc,

Posted by: Heinz at April 4, 2007 11:48 AM

verry good is document

Posted by: Heinz at April 4, 2007 11:49 AM

And now the price is back again nearly on the same level

Posted by: Branchen at April 13, 2007 05:51 PM

Thanks for this information.

Posted by: Maik at April 20, 2007 01:05 PM

A local Starbucks was my "place of choice" when meeting with clients. It was never my favorite coffee, but it was a nice place to go and have a caffeine "treat". Now, the place is ALWAYS crowded and hard to hear people and the coffee is awful. Now, when I have to go there to meet a client, I will only get the green tea and lemonade (which I love). They are losing me too.

Jet Blue lost me a long time ago. When I go to Las Vegas from Fort Lauderdale, all flights first stop in New York. Talk about out of the way!!

Posted by: Jason at April 20, 2007 05:18 PM

Great and excellent article t’s realy helpful. Thanks again.

Wow. Very impressive.

Posted by: Tapeten at May 13, 2007 07:57 AM

We Almost Lost the Nasdaq
LIMITED-TIME OFFER SUBSCRIBE NOW

(enter your email)
(enter up to 5 email addresses, separated by commas)

Max 250 characters