Businessweek Archives

Folgers Online Commercial: Disturbing

? This Week's Podcast with Ze Frank |

Main

| Dumping on BW cover on Digg ?

August 03, 2006

Folgers Online Commercial: Disturbing

Heather Green

I just got an email about a Folgers commercial that's being done only online, and potentially in movie theatres, the pitch says. I find the video disturbing, but this is what the pitch says about it:

"In the unique commercial, figures dressed in yellow represent morning sunbeams that prance around and wake sleeping people by singing (Alan) Zachary and (Michael) Weiner's song. For the song, the two combine an upbeat melody with quirky lyrics that include the repeated phrase 'You can sleep when you are dead.' The result is a humorous, tongue-in-cheek, extremely catchy tune that subtly mocks the coffee drinker who has not yet had his caffeine boost. Paired with award-winning director Steve Ayson's unique visuals, it demonstrates a fresh approach to commercial making."

Ok. But you decide.

05:43 PM

advertising

TrackBack URL for this entry:

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference Folgers Online Commercial: Disturbing:

? Invasion of the Coffee Idiots from altyrianview.com

I just watchedthe new Folger’s Advertisementthat’s playing on the Internet. In it,a crowd of yellow glowing idiots (are they dead spirits?) sing and annoy the inhabitants of a seaside town until - surprise! - those inhabitants drink t... [Read More]

Tracked on August 6, 2006 03:51 PM

Tolerate Mornings Folger Ad Campaign from the Web Chef's e-Bytes

Heather Green at Business Week's Blogspotting has a post about a new commercial for Folgers that she found to be somewhat disturbing. I thought I'd post it here for you to evaluate. The ad is supposedly will only be shown [Read More]

Tracked on August 7, 2006 10:00 AM

Well, it worked on two levels for me: One, I watched it. Two, I can't get the damn tune out of my head.

Posted by: Rex at August 3, 2006 07:11 PM

Warning! Gratuitous plug ahead...

Saw it when I was looking through the recent BW showcase on viral ads (it's the last one)

Undoubtedly the worst of those virals. And soooooo damn irritating to boot

Posted by: Steeeeeve at August 4, 2006 03:29 AM

The ad seems to show singing ghosts invading a small seaside village at sunrise. Yep, I must be right - the song says "you can sleep when you are dead."

Wow, great way to sell coffee!

Posted by: Larry Hill at August 6, 2006 03:58 PM

I loved this commercial. It's absolutely ridiculous. It made me laugh out loud more than once and I passed it onto at least four friends. I'm guessing I'm more the demographic Folgers is trying to reach than the other commenters here who could use a wee bit more humor but maybe they haven't had their coffee yet. Nice job, Folgers.

Posted by: pixie at August 7, 2006 04:03 PM

I have always hated the taste of Folgers Coffee and this stupid dumbass commercial makes me hate it even more. And to think the idiots at Fogers actually paid an agency big money to come up with ignorant idea. What a joke.

Posted by: Jimmy at August 9, 2006 01:15 PM

this ad made me want to pee my pants, it so freakin funny. I know exactly how it feels when the sun hits your eyes at the crack of dawn without having had your first cup.(like scary singing people) Thank god ads are getting more interesting. I'm tired of seeing good looking middle americans chase their troubles/blues away with coffee. I read in boards magazine it's the most down loaded commercial to date. MMmmmmm......the ad must be doing something.

Posted by: keith at September 1, 2006 09:41 AM

I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW IF YOU THINK IT'S ALRIGHT TO FREEZE SOMETHING IN THE BEAUTIFUL RED PLASTIC CONTANER?

Posted by: shirley miller at October 8, 2006 01:55 PM

Hollywood Goes YouTube
LIMITED-TIME OFFER SUBSCRIBE NOW

(enter your email)
(enter up to 5 email addresses, separated by commas)

Max 250 characters