Businessweek Archives

Working For Clams at Online World Whyville

? This Blog and Barbaro Discussion |

Main

| Robin Good's Primer on Online Video making and mixing ?

July 17, 2006

Working For Clams at Online World Whyville

Heather Green

Here's a story I did for BWOnline about Whyville, a Second Life for kids that focuses on education.

With the brouhaha over MySpace, Whyville is positioned as a safer place for kids, 8 to 15. But unless these online worlds are totally closed off and their access strictly monitored, none can be 100% safe--which even Whyville acknowledges.

Here's a little about Whyville in my own words from the story:

"The virtual world, founded in 1999 by CalTech biology professor James Bower, uses a wide variety of games to teach kids how to manage their money, hone their math and science skills, and even learn how to eat better. It's a kid's version of the popular Second Life cyberworld. A growing group of sponsors, including the Jet Propulsion Laboratory, Getty, Woods Hole Oceanographic Institute, and Toyota, have created areas within the world where kids can play games to learn about ions or the undersea world, and even customize and arrange financing for a new Toyota Scion. This combination of fun and learning is exerting an undeniable appeal: Over the past year, the service has grown 41% and now has 1.7 million members."

Also, cable problems over the weekend meant I couldn't get online. Somehow a wire got disconnected on the pole across the road from the house. The cable guy says someone must have done it, which of course makes little sense, because who is going to climb the 20 foot pole to do it. But now, I am back in the absolute cool and connectedness of my office....

09:45 AM

society

TrackBack URL for this entry:

Hi am katie and i am 11 years old and im a meber of whyville and my best friend told me about it and i though that looked really crapey because it only hard half a body and the game i was playing before whyville was habbo hotel and i got sick of it so i took a look at whyville and i fell in love with it it is a dickting now i cant stop playing it i got my sister playing it to well that is all i have to say so ya i hope u like my saying bye!!!

Posted by: katie at July 26, 2006 02:23 PM

im 12 and i am also a member of whyville. ever since i started playing, my science grade went from a D to an A! i was so surprised becuz i suck at science! lol :)

Posted by: shakola at July 26, 2006 03:36 PM

hi i want clams

Posted by: mickayla at September 2, 2006 10:52 AM

I want clams

Posted by: Bid D at September 6, 2006 05:35 PM

Hi. You might know me as GirlyAn on whyville. I'm Anna and i am still trying to figure out how to get clams and raise my salary so I can be a Y-mail helper but otherwise I love Whyville and I recommend it and Parents, just so you know the chat is safe and if someone were to say something bad the computer wouldn't let it go through. If your child were to hear someone make something short like he//, then they can 911 report and they'd get in trouble. Love ya!P.S, Please send clams.(clams are money in whyville)

Posted by: Anna at September 17, 2006 09:24 AM

I am a member of whyville. My username is olivia504 and I am a very well earned salary person. If you are on whyville look me up. I have just taken a loan on a scion and i love it!

Posted by: Olivia at September 30, 2006 02:30 PM

Hey I love whyville! my username is racrocker so please look me up! I really want a scion! LOL

Posted by: Annie at October 21, 2006 10:49 AM

hi i love whyville and i want clams and a scion very bad so plz help me my whyville acc is peanut443

Posted by: mackenzie at March 19, 2007 11:41 PM

hey im on whyville to i think its cool umm i have hardly any clams well only like 100 but any way. I can give you all free clams from my account thing clam tripler email me at creaturesamongus@hotmail.com ok dont mind the name of the email its my magazine buisness LOLZ

Posted by: chelsea at April 16, 2007 06:43 PM

Ok i am ten and i need clams so on the google search thing it said you would give us all clams. Now you are probobly a lier, Heather Green! now i need clams!

Posted by: Emily (sugarpup5) at April 29, 2007 08:34 PM

YO this is Shelby a.k.a ferbi4 on whyville i have a store but i only have one thing in it cause im reely poor. V_v plz send me clams if yur rich!!!!

Posted by: Shelby at May 9, 2007 03:14 PM

hey hey this is Shelby's bestfriend! waszup Shelb!

anyways i need clams sooo bad! my acc just got hacked but lucky meh i found out the pass!!!!!!!!!

=D =D =D =D =D =D =D =D =D =D =D =D =D =D =D =D =D

Posted by: LaRyia at May 10, 2007 05:02 PM

I am a memer of Whyville, as the rest of you are. I am 11 years old and an almost 6th grade graduate.

Whyville provides a safe and educational website targeted at children everywhere ages 8 to 15.

It can teach you responsibility and handling money. However, there are some things that people say and do to cover up swear words and/or inappropriate actions and suggestions.

I encourage everyone to look at it and consider becoming a member of this educational online community.

Posted by: Kayla at May 10, 2007 05:23 PM