Businessweek Archives

This Blog and Barbaro Discussion

? Attention Deficit and Strategies for Engagement |

Main

| Working For Clams at Online World Whyville ?

July 14, 2006

This Blog and Barbaro Discussion

Heather Green

A while ago, I wrote about how it's too bad that the UPenn vet center that's treating Barbaro didn't have a blog following the racehorse's treatment.

Well, now that Barbaro's chances of survival are looking slim because of a complication with the back hoof that's bearing his weight, people have started coming back to Blogspotting during the past couple of days and that original post to talk about the horse.

I think this just proves my point: A blog in this instance would be a great place for people to share their best wishes for the horse, as he fights for survival.

11:13 AM

TrackBack URL for this entry:

If Barbaro does not make it (Heaven forbid), would the Jackson's consider another breeding between Dynaformer and La Ville Rouge (Barbaro's sire and dam)? It would be a testament to the greatness of Barbaro and his dam and sire

Posted by: Sea Tower at July 14, 2006 01:39 PM

Please hang in there big boy. You will make it. Everyone loves you and cares about you. Eat all those carrots and sugar cubes that you like.

Posted by: carol at July 15, 2006 12:42 PM

Yes, we can only hope that our blog's are used for positive endeavours. If one of my blog posts ends up littered with negativity, I take note of it and avoid leaving a door open for the dark side.

When the Internet is used to lift our spirits, make us dream, help those in need, and spread good will, it's a beautiful medium.

Blogging on the recovery of an innocent animal is surely a good cause.

-Terry

Starting to sound like John Madden -- the master of the obvious ;-)

Posted by: Terry at July 15, 2006 02:27 PM

Horses have amazing abilities. They reflect the very things inside us which we choose not to see for ourselves. They are both majestic and vulnerable. Barbaro deserves every chance to recover and retire in pastures full of green grass, where he can continue to motivate us humans with his greatness.

Posted by: Lisa at July 17, 2006 01:43 AM

I would like to know why Dr. Ric Redden, the foremost laminitis expert in the USA, hasn't been called in to save Barbaro. The owners and New Bolton know of him and he has been to New Bolton in the past. Yet, they are not using his innovative methods to save this horse. Barbaro's laminitis should have been caught immediately. It should never have gotten as bad as it did without being caught. New Bolton has totally failed Barbaro and there needs to be constructive criticism out there. They haven't used the best methods to prevent laminitis. There are self-adjusting shoes that Dr. Redden uses plus his many methods of saving horses from Laminitis. The owners and New Bolton have a lot to answer for. Were radiographs and vegograms done every 15 days to monitor Barbaro's blood flow? Something is very wrong here. JR

Posted by: JR at July 21, 2006 03:33 PM

Degenerative Suspensory Ligament Desmitis (DLSD) I believe is caused most of the time by repeated snagging of a horses' shod hoofs and twisting its lower hind legs on unatural man-made surfaces when the horse is forced to make unnatural tight body turns by handlers. With this concern I have developed horseshoes new horseshoes which prevent hoof snagging and leg twisting patent pending and need backers to start a non-profit corp. for production and distrubution for horses around the world to end needless suffering caused by DLSD>

Posted by: John Manis at July 22, 2006 08:41 PM

For Barabos to assure that no twisting occurs at his hind legs by shod hoofs snagging at decking a lazy susuan type of miniature turntable needs to be immediately custom built and attached to the horses' hind leg hoofs according to my patent pending embodiment likeness which I give permission for. John Manis

Posted by: John R. Manis at July 22, 2006 08:58 PM

Thank Goodness the owners have not used Ric Redden's technique. It killed my Morgan. This technique makes no sense at all.

Posted by: Sue May at July 24, 2006 07:40 PM

I am sure the New Bolton Center has considered all suggestions for Barbaro's health and they have received hundreds. No one is more concerned about Barbaro than the staff of the New Bolton Center. If you want to see more reports go to the Tim Wooley Racing site.

Posted by: Beverly at July 27, 2006 03:07 PM

I am a horsre owner, but not a racer by any meens. This guy needs to be left alone to survive. He is an awesome horse who did his thing as long as he could. He now deserves the respect of a true champion. Let him enjoy life as he deserves it.

Pete

Posted by: ditto at December 3, 2006 12:11 PM

I love horses with all my heart!I have a question though.Is any one thinking about Barbaro here? How much pain he may be in? If he makes it, to breed on one leg? To others i may have a different opinion,but it takes all kinds to make up the world.

Posted by: jill at January 12, 2007 10:38 PM

Dear Barbaro,Now you can run free again....God Bless. Jill

Posted by: jill at January 29, 2007 09:20 PM

So what the horse is dead. Ive just seen the tearful owner on TV and she and the horses vet just give me the creeps. ITS JUST A STUPID HORSE FOR GODS SAKE. No doubt both were shedding tears as the death of the animal will have a major financial consequences for both of them.

They should be shedding tears on the humanitarian situation the Americans have created in Iraq.

Just stick the horse in the pot and have done with it. Better still stick it in the pot and send it to your brave men and women in Iraq.

Posted by: Jason at January 30, 2007 07:29 AM

I sent a message to New Bolton asking why they did not consult with Ric Redden on possibly even amputating Barbaros lower leg. They felt that it would not have allowed him to lead a pain free quality life. I disagree. Ric Redden has over 40 horses on his place that have had amputations and they are happy, running and even pasture breeding. I think the quality of his life would have been better with an amputation than they treatment they were giving him. I saw him on Good Morning American trying to walk and he really looked so pitiful, throwing that crooked right hind leg out. I do believe they should have at least consulted with Ric Redden. Might have been able to save him, and he most likely would have had a better life than the one he was looking at with the kind of treatment he was getting.

Posted by: Wilma at February 28, 2007 07:00 AM

Sue May commented that "thank goodness they didn't use Ric Redden on Barbaro, he killed her horse." Well, Dr Redden admits that his techniques are not for all horses. And guess what? Babaro died anyway. I happen to think his chances would have been better had they taken him to Reddens clinic in Kentucky. But there again, its the owners choice and feelings about what they should do.

Posted by: wilma at February 28, 2007 12:50 PM

Ric Redden would have saved him and he would be walking and breeding today.

Posted by: Maridy at May 11, 2007 12:13 PM