Businessweek Archives

Battling blog fatigue: Sphere points to new blogs

? Podcasts for occupational therapists: A shot in the dark |

Main

| Google Maps and the NYT? ?

June 01, 2006

Battling blog fatigue: Sphere points to new blogs

Stephen Baker

I was visiting the blog search start-up Sphere yesterday. They have a headquarters in San Francisco's Presidio. The Golden Gate Bridge is right out the window. I was telling Tony Conrad, the founder, that I felt a bit blog-stale. I'm going all over the country talking to people about math and computer science and operations research. It's fascinating, but I'm wandering from the conversations on my aggregator page, and even on this blog. I need a strong dose of new blogs.

Tony sat down and showed me the Featured Blogs feature on Sphere. You can type in nearly any topic, and the engine gives you the blogs that it ranks by subject matter, popularity and authority. I'm in a motel in Palo Alto with a miserable Wi-Fi connection, and I've got an interview at Yahoo! this morning. But at some point on this trip when I get a couple free hours and a good connection, I'll surf for new blogs and share my discoveries. I'll try Sphere as well as Technorati's Blogfinder. Meantime, those of you more richly endowed than I in time and broadband, take a look yourselves at this Sphere ap, and please leave any gems you find in comments.

Incidentally, I'm going to see David Sifry at Technorati tomorrow in San Francisco. Anything I should ask him?

10:17 AM

new blogs, search

Stephen,

I'd ask Sifry about the current big news in the blogosphere. Right now, I'd say this includes a couple of recent developments at Six Apart. One is the launch of Vox. The other is the great breast exodus from LiveJournal. (I've recently blogged about each of these things, and so won't repeat myself here.)

Posted by: Andrew at June 1, 2006 11:25 AM

Stephen- Perhaps you can ask David if there are plans to leverage their database of registered bloggers. I'd love to see Technorati open up a section on their site that allows browsing of profiles. Right now there's no way to get quick stats on a specific blogger on that site that has registered with Technorati. From my perspective, these registered bloggers have immediate credibility with me.

Posted by: Tony Obregon at June 1, 2006 02:05 PM

Stephen, two things to ask Sifry ... one when are they going to allow blog URL consolidation so we can get a more realistic view of blog link prominence, two, what about rumours of a purchase by Yahoo (yeah I know he'll dodge that one).

Also some feel as to how they are generally improving their database accuracy. Every week a blogger tells me that they aren't listed as having active posts, but are posting or that their tags aren't showing up when they search on a tag.

Technorati might be the de facto leader, but I also see them as vulnerable. Services like Sphere , Ask.com, and other new players could eclipse them, especially if they take tags and tagging to the next level.

Posted by: Tris Hussey at June 1, 2006 02:19 PM

"I need a strong dose of new blogs."

May I suggest my feeds?

8000 Feeds

Posted by: Dimitar Vesselinov at June 1, 2006 08:03 PM

My blog happens to be one not picked up by Technorati. I'd be interested in knowing why. I'll have to "Sphere" it, and see what shows up.

Posted by: Glenn (Customer Service Experience) Ross at June 2, 2006 12:55 PM

I would like to suggest a blog for your review.

emercedesbenz - www.eMercedesbenz.com

I read this blog daily, not only for the info, but for the humor that they mix into most of their posts. I know that you have an auto section on your site and think this would be a much valued addition.

Dean