Businessweek Archives

What journalists don't know about Google

? Warner Brothers to Use BitTorrent |

Main

| I've got just the car for you ?

May 09, 2006

What journalists don't know about Google

Stephen Baker

John Battelle sets up Google Adwords. He finds it a snap and learns a lot, and he wonders how many of the analysts covering GOOG have experienced this side of the company experience. I imagine most journalists are also in the dark. That's one whole part of the blogging experience that we're not getting on this site. The ads get sold, they pop up, they (presumably) make money for the company. We learn nothing about it. We also learn nothing about design and get very little information on analytics.

In a lot of ways, we're experiencing only one side of blogging. I tried for a weekend to remedy this last year when I set up another blog. I posted on it, and then I thought, "Why not put this on Blogspotting?" End of experiment.

07:33 AM

advertising

Topix is offering free classified ads.

When I looked there was only one ad. You would think every realtor, car dealer, PC maker and Tom, Dick and Harry would be posting ads. From what I can see, they wouldn't have much to lose. The site also uses Google ads, which I suppose supports the free ads. I'm not sure of exactly how it works. It looks like a good way for poor musicians to promote their bands. There were no ads for music, just somebody selling a house when I looked. Maybe I'll look again later. For small business people or crunched airlines, this looks like a nice service to get new business. You could always grow into a bigger Google budget. I don't have the money to play the Google game. Everything with Google is sky high to support the stock which is also sky high. Major Tom to ground control, all circuits on. Can you hear me Major Tom? Good luck!

Posted by: Jim Dermitt at May 9, 2006 08:12 AM

Surely Mr. Battelle must have experimented with Adwords in the course of researching his book on Google a number of months ago. No?

Posted by: John Koenig at May 11, 2006 01:32 AM

Do you need financial assistance?Do you need a loan to expand your business?Do you need a loan to start a Large Scale business?It will be

our pleasure to introduce LOAN MATTERS FIRM committed to just loan.We give out loans to propective business Men and Women. Contact us today at:loanmattersfirm@yahoo.co.uk

Posted by: Finn Ccraig at July 6, 2006 05:00 AM

I am placing ads in all states listing products which are being sold on my on-line store. Todate, the results are great.

We are in a niche market, anger management which may be a factor in our success. I am urging all of my providers to take advantage of this grest opportunity.

Posted by: George Anderson at July 25, 2006 12:07 PM

I do advertise my free classified site in google and i do get good results. google is king.

Posted by: tony scott at January 24, 2007 11:16 AM

Goodday,

I am Mr. Roland Duke a registered loan lender under the ministry of finance.I offer out loans to both companies and individuals at an affordable interest rate of 4% be it short or long term loan.If interested in this offer,contact me at roland_duke01@yahoo.com for more info

Posted by: Roland Duke at March 11, 2007 02:27 PM

Posting ads to classified such as topix and google are great ways to increase internet presence and best of all they are free. Thanks for the post.

www.ajnovickgroup.com