Criteria for prospective MBA Journal writers include:
1. Must be starting (or have started) an MBA or EMBA program this year (2006)
Must be the significant other of someone who will be starting (or has started) an MBA or EMBA program this year (2006)
Must be planning on applying to an MBA or EMBA program for the 2007-2008 academic year
2. Have to be willing to submit approximately one journal entry per month
3. Must be able to meet deadlines
Please note, this is a volunteer activity,. If you're interested in participating, please send the following material to us at BSchoolJournals@gmail.com by July 7, 2006*:
1. Two writing samples (Word limit: 1,500 words each):
a) If selected, this will be used as your first journal entry for BusinessWeek Online. Here's what we're looking for in this sample:
The idea is to introduce yourself to the B-schools audience. Briefly describe your professional and personal background. Talk about what makes you tick and explain in detail your motivation to attend business school -- particularly the one you'll be enrolling in this fall (if applicable). What do you feel the MBA will bring you? Is B-school part of your overall career plan? Or are you looking to broaden your managerial horizons and see where you end up? Feel free to share one or two application tips with readers, too. After reading this entry, we should be able to identify what kind of person you are, so let your personality show. [Note: Please don't send application essays for this sample. This should be an original piece written for BusinessWeek Online.]
- and -
b) One additional writing sample. This can include a personal statement or your best application essay. This writing sample should also tell us a bit about yourself.
2. Name of the university you (or your significant other) will be attending, the type of MBA program (i.e. full-time, part-time, distance-MBA, Executive MBA, etc.), and the program's length. Applicants should describe the kind of MBA program they hope to attend, and the stage of the application process they're in (Have you taken the GMAT? Have you begun visiting schools?).
3. An updated resume
4. Permanent contact info (Mailing address, e-mail, and phone number) -- where you can be reached until October 31, 2006
5. Digital photo (taken recently in either .jpg or .gif format)
We'll be looking forward to reviewing your entries. Selections will be made in late August. All applicants will be notified of our decisions.
*Please note that this is an extension from the original June 26 deadline.