Businessweek Archives

Honey. We're Killing the Kids

? Martha Stewart I Am Not or Will Ever Be |

Main

| A Great Mind is a Tough Thing to Finance ?

April 17, 2006

Honey. We're Killing the Kids

Cathy Arnst

Warning, Will Robinson! After all the blog posts here in recent weeks about the dangers of TV, I'm about to recommend a TV show. Honey, We're Killing the Kids is on Mondays at 9 pm EST on The Learning Channel (a cable network that is an offshoot of The Discovery Channel ). Each one-hour epidosde of this eye-opening new reality show, modeled after a British series, focuses on the dreadful lifestyles of a different family. With the help of a nutrition expert they are given three weeks to shape up, literally. The best part: each week, the parents are convinced to get on board after being shown a computer simulated projection of what their kids will look like at age 40 if they continue their current eating and activity habits. Scary, and very motivating.

My complaint about most reality shows is that the families profiled are so beyond the pale that it is easy to feel superior. This show is no different, and yet...I bet most of us will recognize some behavior of each family that we can relate to. So check it out, and let us know what you thought of it.

03:11 PM

Health

TrackBack URL for this entry:

Great stuff!

Posted by: chrlane at April 23, 2006 09:55 PM

Please tell me how I can order videos/DVDs of Honey, We're Killing Our Kids.

I would love to show these videos to parents and youth groups that I work with.

Posted by: Gwen Preston at May 1, 2006 04:03 PM

my daughter and i enjoying watching the show, and at 6 yrs old she has noticed things not to do or eat. She drinks nothing but water and excercises alot more often. In the mornings we jog together and play a contest on the jump rope. She still stops every minute and yells out water break, so i know its fun and not an obsession.

Posted by: lena at May 2, 2006 10:54 AM

I think that the "Honey we're killing the kids" show is fantastic! I wish that my family could be on the show. We start and stop and start and stop when it comes to eating right and getting rid of bad habits. I've recorded the shows for my family, especially the kids in an effort to reroute our behaviours and way of thinking. Change is always difficult, but the resulting rewards of making a good change in your life....wow....amazing!!! Good luck with the show!

Posted by: Wanda at May 8, 2006 11:44 PM

1st time of watching the show surprise by it,,,, for the first time i am restricted t v watching to my grand dawghter which i am raising,,, she is 12 only tries to eat healthy food,picky eater,under wt as she is on concerta for A.D.H.D. also has intellectual desability,,, but smart kid,,,,, i would like to know if there is a cook book out which i could purchase,,, she enjoyed watching part of the show which was the last 15 minutes thank you maria

Posted by: maria dossantos at May 23, 2006 04:14 PM

how do we get some of the recipes from this show

Posted by: liz at June 4, 2006 06:04 PM

Liz --

The web site for the show does carry recipes. Click on this link and you can search for recipes:

Posted by: Cathy Arnst at June 6, 2006 12:33 PM

Great Show!

The visual motivators are wonderful!

I would love to have access to the dvd's and would like to know if anyone has developed a similar approach to adults?

Am currently involved in a wellness program and would appreciate information and materials available.

Posted by: Dr. Chuck Cooper at June 12, 2006 04:09 PM

Hi my name is Kristen

I wish my Aunt would quit smoking. I care about my Aunt

Posted by: Kristen at June 19, 2006 11:12 PM

hi my name is tatiana

the show is great and you get to see how the kids react with these different new habits. i wish there was a show called siblings we are killing our parents so i could show and tell my mother not to smoke.again great show

Posted by: tati at June 20, 2006 08:15 PM

Good evening everybody.

I've been watching Honey We're Killing The Kids fow the past three weeks.

Since I have Type II Diabetes I'm careful what I eat but I'm always hungery, and have not been able to control how much I eat.

Yeah, I admit I'm obese. I'm 5 ft. 6 in. and I weigh about 310 pounds. I'm 54 years old (although I've been told I look younger) and I've been diabetic since 1994.

But despite my obesity my blood pressure is normal at 110/70 and my cholesterol is lower than normal at 116 and my triglycerides are only 84.

I've been diabetic for almost 12 years and I have had no comlications. Also I've been disgustingly healthy. It's been over 20 years since I had a flu or any allergies, and over 10 years since I even had a common cold.

Most of my relatives were obese, and some of them were diabetic yet they lived to their 80s.

I avoid all junk foods, eating mostly chicken or fish, lots of vegetables and fresh fruit.

When ever I have a craving for sweets, I eat bananas or purple grapes.

Now, while I think that the lady on the program gives some very good dietary advice, I think she needs to lighten up a little.

For example, she says absolutely no canned foods at all.

But when I cook up a big pot of chicken soup with lots of vegetables, I like to add water chesnuts and bamboo shoots, and those come in small cans. Of course they are packed only in water with no salt or sugar added. Not all canned food are bad.

Also, her restricting the children to just one hour of TV each day. Suppose the kids want to see a special movie that they have been waiting to see, but the movie is two hours long? Then what?

A one hour restriction would also restrict the kinds of programs that they may watch. That would mean no Science Fiction programs for example since they are usually two hours long.

That not only controls how much TV but it also controls what they can see which amounts to a form of cencorship!

So I think that two hours of TV is more reasonable and realistic, which is still much better than allowing kids to watch 5 to 8 hours.

Otherwise she does give lots of good advice, but sometime she comes on like a nanny.

Also according to the graphics on the computer projections which depicts how the kids will look at age 40, it has these kids growing up to look ever worse than the parents!

But then again, kid do eat a lot more junk than we ate while growing up.

Also, I have never seen here visit a poor family living in the ghettos. Some neighborhoods are so dangerous it's not safe for the kids to go out to play to get the exercise they need.

Not only that, the grocery stores in poor neighborbood sell mostly junk, and very few fruits and vegetable, and when they do have vegetables, the carrots and celery is often wilted not looking very appetising at all.

Most of the families on the program are middle class where they have easier access to supermarkets that offer a wider veriety of fruits and vegetables, and they live in much safer neighborhoods where kids are not afraid to go out.

So instead of Honey We're Killing The Kids, we need a new program called, America We're Killing The Poor!

Posted by: Gerald at June 21, 2006 11:57 PM

like to know how to get some of the receipes that are being used.

Posted by: linda neumann at June 26, 2006 07:17 PM

i really enjoy watching the show, but one thing really confuses me. Why does she always start the families off with tofu for the first meals? There are thousands of other healthy foods that are better tasting, such as grilled or baked fish, or anything else.

Posted by: Sam at June 28, 2006 06:59 PM

Hi,

I have two boy's ages 3&4 different as night and day. They are in great health but one loves the sweets and chocolate. After watching the show once he said "clean out the junk, no more sugar". He now eats more fruit like his younger brother and I can use the show as an example when he starts to want junk and beg for it. I just think Lisa needs to address the parents a little more on the pattern they are showing there kids. Saying yes is always easier than saying no....but No will save there lives.

Posted by: Jacqueline at June 28, 2006 09:31 PM

I love this show. It rocks my socks. Im only 12 years old. I only watched this show once but i like it. Im just afraid I will have nightmares about the kids as adults before they start eating healthy. Luckily I didn't. If I ever became fat, I would do anything to stop it. Im so scared of myself being fat, sometimes I run up and down stairs and around the house, that always makes me feel better. I also drink water a lot. One time I didn't even eat anything all day, because I am so petrified of getting fat. But when you dont eat, you start getting dizzy, your stomach hurts, and what I did...was pass out! Well anyway, Im talking to much about my life...GREAT SHOW!!!Freaky though

Posted by: Brittany at July 11, 2006 11:10 AM

I try to watch every episode of this show. I am grateful that I worked really hard to instill good eatting habits in my kids and today excercise is an important part of our lives. I have high blood pressure and I work very hard to control it with diet, exercise and I even walk several times a week with my oldest daughter. I hope this show stays on a long time. It is a great motivator!!!

Posted by: La Rue at July 11, 2006 03:51 PM

My kids (age 8 & 11)love this show and we try to watch it together. Even though most of the families are a bit on the extreme side, my kids are absorbing some good lessons. Yes the tofu seems a bit much, but this is afterall, entertainment, and the reactions to some of the more "extreme" foods make for good TV. It also gives us as the parents, some great ammo when we hear "Can I please play more Gamecube?". We now can add to our "no", do you want to be unhealthy like that kid from the show?

Posted by: stacy at July 21, 2006 11:51 AM

I've been watching the program since it started. It is true, some of the thing she requires at the biginning of the process are very strict for a young kid. But, generally I think is a great show. I do understand that there are a lot of people who can't afford to buy the same vegetables and proteins like a middle class family but if you want your kids to eat healthy you will find the right food for them even at a small grocery store.

Posted by: Arianny at July 26, 2006 10:49 AM

hello,

im 15 years old and im clinicly obeise its sometimes really upsetting watching what these peoples futures are looking like i would be so scared to see mine im scared to stand on scales and ive tried dieting but its to hard because noone has no confindence in me i get picked on badly in school so now im a smoker can i get recipes anywhere can someone help me i dont like being called fat !!!!

Posted by: cassie at November 16, 2006 03:26 PM

I think it's a great show - definately what's needed to help educate people about how to live a better lifestyle.

cassie - a bit off topic, but you should eat healthily, take regular exercise, stop smoking, and build a network of friends who don't tease you about your weight at the moment.

All the best,

Chris

Posted by: Chris at December 11, 2006 03:58 PM

i would just like to no how i can get on the show as my daughter is 13yrs and very over wieght and wont take any notice of me in what she eats can you help me please.

Posted by: emma at December 13, 2006 07:13 AM