Businessweek Archives

Attitudes Towards Science

? Slowdown in Consumer Credit Growth |

Main

| Rising Real Net Worth per capita ?

March 08, 2006

Attitudes Towards Science

Michael Mandel

Maybe this is something everybody already knows. I was leafing through the (pdf) pages of the new Science and Engineering Indicators 2006, from the National Science Foundation (Ok, I'm wierd), and I found some things that surprised me. The first one was about beliefs in astrology.

It looks like Europeans are far more likely (53%) to believe that astrology is scientific than Americans (32%). China is the least likely.

This surprising result is corroborated by the results of other questions.

Europeans are low on the percentage who supporting funding of research by the government. They are also low on the percentage who believe that the benefits of science outweigh the harm (52%). (The two surveys which cover the EU-25 were done in 2005, the one which covers the EU-15 was done in 2001).

Does this really accurately reflect the European attitude towards science? If so, it goes a long way towards explaining the weak growth.

03:45 PM

Tech

TrackBack URL for this entry:

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference Attitudes Towards Science:

? Why is Europe so anti-science? from New Economist

Business Week's Michael Mandel posts some interesting charts on his Economics Unbound blog. looking at public attitudes towards science, they show firstly that a majority of Europeans believe that astrology or fortune-telling is scientific (compared to... [Read More]

Tracked on March 11, 2006 06:32 AM

? Europe, the Science-Hater from The Burden of Proof

Why are Europeans so distrusting of science? Attitudes Towards Science. [Read More]

Tracked on March 11, 2006 07:19 AM

maybe it explains the dark ages as well.....

Posted by: james at March 8, 2006 10:19 PM

Interesting data. I think it would be a good question for Carl Bildt at bildt.blogspot.com. and may open an interesting dialogue... He blogs about the Europeans falling further behind the USA in scientific research

Posted by: Jim Haggerty at March 9, 2006 08:35 AM

This will probably leave me tagged as a certifiable nut, but let me suggest that the Europeans aren't entirely wrong that divination is scientific. I've done a good bit of study into both divination and "magic", in terms of affecting the course of events through "spellcasting". I haven't the space here or inclination to get into the mechanics of it all (and only a century ago revealing such information required your death), but let me just say that research into String Theory and M-Theory (11-dimension string theory which turns the "strings" into a "membrane") produces results that suggest magic may very well tap into the strings/membranes and change the "vibrations" that run along them. I.e., magic has a scientific basis afterall.

Yes, I know you all think I'm insane now, but when you don't close your mind to possibilities, some very intriguing correlations start surfacing.

The problem with all this is that you aren't likely to make much profit off it (1-900 fortune-telling scams aside), so its relevance to an economic discussion is pretty minimal. On the other hand, who thought IBM was insane 15 years ago when they were trying to build memory systems out of holographs and crystals? We're likely to see this technology in our computers in the next 5-10 years; so "insanity" may very well turn profitable.

Posted by: Brandon at March 9, 2006 09:50 AM

The Chinese/Korean difference on fortune-telling is curious.

It seems those who see a dynamic changing economy, progress if you will, are more likely to believe in science.

Posted by: Lord at March 10, 2006 02:02 PM

Of course Euros believe in crap like fortune telling and astrology. They don't believe in God anymore, but they still have that rather common human need (which drives scientists so nuts) to believe in SOMETHING. So they grab what they can to fill the holes.

Posted by: Kevin at March 13, 2006 08:28 PM

Jim: I'll take a look at Carl Bildt's stuff.

Brandon: But how are the Europeans doing in string theory? I believe that most of the world's leading string theorists are American (I just did a quick search).

Posted by: Mike Mandel at March 15, 2006 09:17 AM