Businessweek Archives

MySpace: Your New Classifieds Service?

? Google Ratings: More Chips at eBay's Armor |

Main

| Bag Borrow or Steal ?

March 07, 2006

MySpace: Your New Classifieds Service?

Olga Kharif

Popular social network MySpace might soon take classifieds advertising to a new level. Apparently, the company is going to expand its classifieds efforts. It's also toying with the idea of allowing the site's users to swap and sell items to each other, according to the company's recent presentation at a Merrill Lynch conference.

Effectively, MySpace will compete with eBay, newspapers and sites like Craigslist.com and CareerBuilder.com, offering job classifieds. This is happening just as newspapers have managed to get a somewhat solid grip on the classifieds market, which was, for a while, slipping away from them and going to online-only outfits.

I think MySpace can be a formidable competitor in classifieds. I already know people who use their online social networks when looking for jobs.

Microsoft, which just unveiled its own social marketplace, Expo, also believes that this is a promising market. And a site like MySpace, where lots of people go daily to blog and to read others' blogs, might have a much better shot at succeeeding in social commerce than specialized commerce sites like Expo.

Could classifieds turn out to be the way to monetize on social networking sites? I think that's quite possible.

11:43 AM

social networks

TrackBack URL for this entry:

MySpace is getting more and more popular, which means money for those that made it. But could advertising on myspace ruin the magic?

Posted by: Mike at March 10, 2006 12:51 PM

I think there should be a way to get on myspace when you are at school its not fair b/c sometimes there is nothing to do and they you cant get on b/c its blocked there should be a code to get in and if so what is ir i mean its not like kids are doing anything bad on it or anything its totally inacent to me but thats just my opinion

write me back thanks

Posted by: brittany at May 18, 2006 09:44 AM

im pissed off that they took myspace off of all city school district computers...IT'S CRAZY!! i had the code to get on and then they took that off...all we do on myspace is, make friends..and check our messages...its fun...the school board wants to take fun out of all schools....whats the use of going to the library..unless u have to write an essay....IT'S just not right!!

Posted by: Scottaizsa at June 5, 2006 11:12 AM

Myspace is da bomb and you meet kool people you idiots

Posted by: Nikki at June 8, 2006 06:34 PM

Myspace is da koolest thing a teenager could ever have ? its better then yahoo because you have more priorities>>>> I have one but im not a heavy camper like some people but i admit it's reeally addicting but oh well lozers deal with it

Posted by: Kanikki at June 8, 2006 06:37 PM

The idea of allowing site's users to swap and sell items to each other will click with great success. Instead of buying from or sell to a total stranger on ebay, you can sell or swap your item with your buddies on the list. Myspace is becoming a monster, with around 76M subscribers already.

Posted by: Murali at June 10, 2006 08:11 AM

He querido entrar a este lugar con dos propositos.

uno. conocer a jovenes necesitados de Cristo y

ofrecerles lo Dios puede hacer por aquellos jovenes presos del vicio. Aquellos jovenes que no son felices. y tienen que recurrir a las drogas para tener un poco de placer, pero al pasar ese efecto son mas infelices. Cristo salva. Cambia las vidas tristes en una vida feliz. Yo conozco

este camino desde los 15 a?os. y que feliz he sido.

Si quieres saber mas como encontrar este camino me puedes escribir. Que Dios bendiga a todos los que leen este escrito.

Posted by: Julia Carrillo at August 20, 2006 11:44 PM

I AM TRYING TO REACH MYSPACE CUSTOMER SERVICE, IVE TRIED EMAILING THEM FOR 2WEEKS NOW BUT I NEVER GET A RESPONSE, IT IS A URGENT MANNER...DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY IDEA HOW I CAN GET AHOLD OF THEM? IF SO PLEASEEMAIL ME. THANKS, SAM

Posted by: sam at August 28, 2006 12:07 AM

some is wrong with myspace on my computer,they saing they cant fing myspace but it was working yesterday...some is really wrong can so one help me

Posted by: ashante at August 28, 2006 07:20 PM

it takes a long time for customer service to return emails but they do return them.

Posted by: KSUAVE007 at October 30, 2006 10:06 PM

I've tried all week to get ahold of myspace to change my old e-mail address to the one I have now and they finualy answered and said I would get a e-mail at my old address in how to help me, duh I just wrote to them six times that I couldn't access my old e-mail address or get anything on it, so I wrote back several times and they have not bothered replying. I guess its easier to get on myspace then it is to get off, maybe we are concidered now LIFE TIME members.

Does anyone know if they have a toll free number to reach them besides an e-mail address?

Posted by: kevin at January 26, 2007 12:23 PM

Soul Searcher
LIMITED-TIME OFFER SUBSCRIBE NOW

(enter your email)
(enter up to 5 email addresses, separated by commas)

Max 250 characters