Businessweek Archives

AMD CEO Hector Ruiz Digs Apple, Kinda

If Anyone Can Sell a $100 iPod Case, it's Apple |

Main

| More Security Worries for the Mac?

March 03, 2006

AMD CEO Hector Ruiz Digs Apple, Kinda

Arik Hesseldahl

Two days ago I had a long conversation with Hector Ruiz, head of chipmaker Advanced Micro Devices and of course the subject of the Apple-Intel relationship came up. I asked him about the potential for Apple ever becoming an AMD customer, and initially be begged off saying he thinks AMD is doing “okay without Apple as a customer.” That maybe smacked just a bit of sour grapes at not having the chance initially to try and win Apple’s business, or maybe not. However it's clear Ruiz appreciates and admires Apple. Later in the interview he called Apple’s aggressive push into consumer-friendly computing “frightening to so many people.” The commodity computers of the Windows world, he seems to suggest, have been boring and unremarkable, while Apple has been pushing the boundaries. Now PC companies like Dell, Hewlett-Packard and others are forcing themselves to differentiate themselves in the market, in part, Ruiz says, “because Apple is putting pressure on them.” You can read more of our conversation here: “A Chipmaker’s Confidence”.

Another notable line from the interview: Ruiz said he's sure someone somewhere has probably hacked a machine with an AMD chip to run OS X. I don't know if that has happened yet -- if it has please let me know about it in the user comments -- but the folks at Ars Technica compared a new MacBook Pro to a borrowed Dell Inspiron hacked to run OS X, just to see how OS X might perform on non-Apple hardware. The results are here and here, and should be cause for much discussion among Mac users.

11:37 AM

MacIntel

TrackBack URL for this entry:

Yes, OS X does run on AMD processors

Posted by: Dude at March 4, 2006 10:53 PM

Yes, OS X is able to run on AMD processors.

Posted by: jesse at March 5, 2006 12:49 PM

I don't know if that has happened yet

Of course, go to osx86project.org.

Posted by: uop at March 5, 2006 05:09 PM

Maxxuss [http://maxxuss.com/home/releases.html] has hacked OSX to run on AMD hardware since Feb 2006.

Posted by: Anonymous at March 6, 2006 01:24 AM

There was an article on the TheInquirier.net last August about a VooDoo PC notebook with AMD processor which was phototgraphed, and appeared to be running OSX, reportedly NOT a hacked X86 version, but something which came through other channels.

This is the link:

Picture:

As an AMD fan (several AMD64 systems and a laptop at home), 20 yerar PC builder, and relatively recent convert to Apple (2005), I'd love to have AMD powered Macs, especially a notebook, as my Turion notebook outpowers everything else I've tried (including nc8230 HP Pentium M). But the noise and heat from any X86 notebooks dwarf what my PowerBook 17 generates, and it's a testimony to Apple's engineering balance that it seems as fast as it does with just a G4 CPU. OTOH, it has a pretty high end mobile GPU, including dual DVI output- PC laptops have yet to hear about DVI, it seems.

And when I do need power, now there's my Quad Core PowerMac. Yes, I do have VPC on it for those occasional XP related tasks, but in general, I've been very, very pleased by switching to OSX and OSX based apps.

Regards,

~Jon

Posted by: Jon Hancock at March 11, 2006 12:45 PM

Hector Ruiz has an amazing track record at AMD. He saved the company and put it on track to seriously compete with Intel. check it all at http://www.amdboard.com/ruizspecial.html

Posted by: AMD Fan at February 12, 2007 07:57 AM

Hollywood Goes YouTube
LIMITED-TIME OFFER SUBSCRIBE NOW

(enter your email)
(enter up to 5 email addresses, separated by commas)

Max 250 characters