Businessweek Archives

Is Firefox Slipping?

? MySQL Answers Back With $18.5 Million |

Main

| Bayosphere and Beyond ?

February 13, 2006

Is Firefox Slipping?

Rob Hof

Richard McManus at the Web 2.0 Explorer blog has been seeing more complaints about the up-and-coming Web browser Firefox crashing a lot, just as I've noticed personally lately. He wonders if we might be seeing a rerun of Microsoft's crushing of Netscape with a browser, Internet Explorer, that began to work better than the pioneer's. Not yet, I think, but it's never a good idea to give Microsoft an opening, because it certainly will take advantage of it.

05:21 PM

Firefox, Microsoft, Web browser

TrackBack URL for this entry:

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference Is Firefox Slipping?:

? Firefox is Dead, Long Live Opera? from Mashable*

After hogging memory, freezing up, crashing repeatedly and generally misbehaving, Firefox has finally given up running on my machine altogether. I could scour the forums yet again to see what?? gone wrong, but I?? just plain tired of th... [Read More]

Tracked on February 15, 2006 04:59 PM

I have been seeing a lot more crashes lately, and it is very frustrating. I will be giving the future Internet Explorer a good honest try. I have also tried out Opera as well, only because of the crashes.

Posted by: spaceman spiff at February 14, 2006 03:36 AM

Rob,

The 1.5.0.1 release actually fixes the most common memory leak issues reported in Firefox 1.5.

However, most of the Firefox problems are actually caused by extensions which are released without proper testing.

IE Tab is one such culprit that causes memory leaks.

Amit.

Posted by: Amit Agarwal at February 14, 2006 04:00 AM

Amit,

I'm actually using the latest version, 1.5.0.1, and still have crashes. I do use a number of extensions, though only ones that are available from the Mozilla site.

Posted by: Rob Hof at February 14, 2006 09:27 AM

I use Netscape for 98% of my browsing. I don't get any of those annoying addware windows that come when I surf. I'm not talking about the pop ups that the sites have, I'm talking about the ones that are stored on your computer and open all the time you are surfing. It seems Netscape is so small now they don't write addware for it. Of course a lot of times if I go to a Microsoft site I have to use IE because the write it that way. As soon as I open IE I get addware. This is despite having the full version of spy sweeper. Netscape has brought peace to my browsing. I like the tabbed browsing too.

Posted by: Joe at February 21, 2006 03:59 PM

I've noticed that Firefox crashes much more often than it used to. Still I prefer firefox to IE.

I've also noticed that firefox crashes when computer stays idle for a long time.

You can read on how to accelerate firefox over here:

Posted by: speed up firefox at March 31, 2006 06:05 AM

Yeah, you can surf the web faster with Firefox, just gey it here http://www.mozila.com.pl

Posted by: mozila firefox at April 16, 2007 01:27 PM

American Apparel's Future
LIMITED-TIME OFFER SUBSCRIBE NOW

(enter your email)
(enter up to 5 email addresses, separated by commas)

Max 250 characters