Businessweek Archives

The Office blog: funny, but one missing piece

? Optimization: Another world for tilting the balance |

Main

| BlackBerry and a Disappearing Act ?

February 10, 2006

The Office blog: funny, but one missing piece

Stephen Baker

Dwight Schrute, the assistant TO the regional manager in NBC's The Office, has a blog. It will likely draw lots of fans and enhance the franchise. But I would take the concept one big step further. As I wrote a few months ago, I think the studios should let the characters develop alternate story lines on the blogs. And (I say this as a consumer, not a journalist) they should interact with the rest of our blogs, linking, commenting, in short, participating. Who knows what stories could develop?

Dwight Schrute

09:11 AM

digital media

TrackBack URL for this entry:

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference The Office blog: funny, but one missing piece:

? Even TV Characters Have Blogs (Part 2) from TV Tiff

I wrote about a character from ABC’s “Invasion” having a blog, and I mentioned Dwight Schrute’s blog from “The Office” very briefly in a previous post.

Stephen Baker writes in his Geb. 10th blog post, “The Offi... [Read More]

Tracked on February 24, 2006 09:59 PM

Great idea. Perhaps if NBC doesn't do it, fans will. I'm a huge Office fan -- via my 15 year old son who was a cult-follower before me.

Posted by: Rex Hammock at February 10, 2006 01:35 PM

After living in Scranton, PA for 19 years now, i can absolutley guarantee you that this is how we really talk, it is not made up! I don't know if that is a good or bad thing

You've heard of Ebonics, well here's Scranton, Pennsylvania's version!

The newest words are on the bottom of the list! Enjoy!

Updated on October 16, 2002

Kuzzints: Your uncle’s children.

Clozeda light: Will you please turn the lamp off?

Onnakowna: Because (“I got a flat tire onnakowna someone dropped nails on da road.”)

Pellow: Where you put your head when you sleep onnakowna you’re tired.

Buh-uns: Those little white round things on the front of your shirt.

Kupple-too-tree: The number of missing buh-uns you might have.

Hayna: Excuse me, but did I just sound as silly as I think I did? (It really means “ain’t it?”)

Jeet jet?: Gee, I was wondering if you had anything for dinner?

No, jew?: Well, no, golly, but I was wondering the same thing about you.

Jaunt-too?: Do you want to?

Wock: What you take the dog for at night.

Tock: What you do on the phone.

Plimmit: A muted reference to Plymouth, Pennsylvania.

Dee Eynon: Sugerman’s Department Store. (R.I.P.)

Turdy-ate: Used to be WOLF-TV, Channel 38. Now it's WSWB 38.

Up Da Line: Up Scrah-un way.

Nanny Coke: Across the river from West Nanny Coke.

Lannick City: That place on the Jersey Shore where all of the bingo buses are going these days.

Melk: A drink that goes good with cookies.

Da You: The U. (The University of Scranton)

Otto: A car.

Over town: Downtown.

Downtown: Over town.

Tarupe: Throop, Pennsylvania.

Ackamee: The place where you get da grocery order. (ACME R.I.P.)

Haitch Beeyo: HBO, the cable TV all night movie station, I tink.

Baah-ul: That ting dey put Gibbons and Steg in. (A Baa-ul is a barrel, steg is beer)

I totso: I thought so, too.

Corpse house: Where else in the world do they call funeral parlors corpse houses?

Beer garden: The place where you go to pick up a six-pack of Steg.

Wah?: What?!

Tot: What Mr. McArdle tried to do in school :)

Lonn more: It cuts the grass.

Rude aidy: The road that takes you to Penn State.

Atha Leets: Lots of good ones play for Penn State.

Bot tings: What you did with your money at dee Eynon.

Da moll: The Viewmont Mall up on the highway. They’re always having big sales.

Da Steamtown: The other mall over town.

Wadder: Comes out the fosset.

Be-endat: Means “because.”

Hoddog: Tastes great with soss on it.

Fil’em: In some cultures, this is what you say when you bring your empty beer glasses to the bar. Here “fil’em” is the thing you put in your camera.

Arthur Idas: What retired atha leets take Excedrin for.

Burgarly: When you enter a building without permission and maybe take something.

Burgalry: A garbled form of burgarly.

Yuge: Really big.

Zenit: That brand of TV that you watch the Penn State atha leets on.

Swoyerville: Swoyersville. Don't ask why. No one knows.

Hose house: The place where dey keep da fire trucks. Sometimes called a fire barn, and usually found between a corpse house and a beer garden.

Hox: The basketball team in Lanna, Georgia

LCC: LCCC

Axe: Ask

Termistat: thermistat

Bub: light bulb

Winda: as in "closeda winda, da ya live in a barn?"

Haf a cuppa caffee: half a cup of coffee

Up da mall, and down da mall: Viewmont and Steamtown respectively

Karpendale: Carbondale, PA

Sowside Scrah-uhn: Southside Scranton, PA

Nangano: Nagano, Japan, where dey had dem `lympics

Axed: the past tense version of Axe (see above)

Paupack: Lake Wallanpaupack

Quanity: Quantity

Bigmintin: Binghamton

Tumb: (noun) Your thumb; (verb) to hitchhike, example = I tumbed in onnakowna my hog got stolen.

Da boad of em: The both of them.

Ba-troom: a place to relieve yourself

Ba-tree: battery

A couple too tree: How many times have you been on the Coal Mine Tour?

Budaydos: potatos

Chalk-lots: chocolates, what ja buy at Gerty Hocks when yur up da mall, wockin and tockin.

Tinkin: when you put your brain in gear.

Sangwitch: What cha eat when you go up dee Eynon.

dahn tahn DOpahnt: Downtown Dupont, PA

Alla Youz: How you address several people at once

twahny yearce ahgo: 20 Years Ago

radarater: the thing heat comes out of

offah: He knocked da glass offah the table.

roof in the leak: a common saying when water comes down from the roof

nooyourkas: people who vacation in the area (from anywhere outside the area) for the summer, generally found in the Moscow-Gouldsboro area of Lackawanna County

up da mount'n: Montage Mountain Ski Resort, where concerts are held

da rena: First Union Arena, Wilkes Barre PA (also called the "FU Arena")

John: People named John typically don't have last names. They're only referred to by profession as John DaBanker, John DaCarpenter, John DaRoofer (or DaLeaker), or John DaPlumber. A guy named Frank who ordered a cup of coffee in the diner everyday became known as John Caffee. - Dan

warsh: Did you remember to warsh behind your ears? -or- I warshed my shirt.

punkin: Goes well with thanksgiving dinner

doverman: The dog

er wha: or what?

pank: as in if you sit in the snow when you get up it's all panked down, this may strictly be a green ridge thing, but we insist it's a word!

chimley: chimney

pitza frita: fried dough

crick: a place where wadder run truit and ya can go fishen

pie-ano: the music instrument with 88 keys

tray of pizza: tray of pizza

Posted by: Justine Gavin at March 9, 2006 06:49 PM

Don't forget Fill-um: what you put in your camera to take pictures!

Posted by: Debbie Dudinetz at April 17, 2006 03:10 PM

Now this is funny stuff. And it is how people actually talk in Scranton. Thanks for the laughs!

Posted by: Harold at September 23, 2006 07:26 PM

i love The Office(the show) i found a link online where one can post their frustrations of life at work: http://www.todayattheoffice.com

Posted by: john at October 8, 2006 11:54 PM

I was born and raised in Scranton, PA. I've been gone since 1991. One of the hardest Scranton slang words, for me to break the habit of saying, was "Sout". You know Sout Side, down da flats. Sout Side where the Ackamee was.

I had some friends from Michigan come to visit when I still lived in Scranton. They had made a comment "all you have here(in Scranton)is pizza places, bars and funeral homes" "so I guess you eat pizza, drink alcohol and die?" That about summed it up!

Posted by: Tony Chiappini at October 27, 2006 10:33 AM

A funny story about Scranton. A friend and I came to Scranton for my younger sisters wedding. We stayed at the Clarion Hotel(the former dump/the Sheraton)on Meadow Ave. So the first night there, after we got back to the hotel we went to their lounge for a drink. It was a Friday night so there was a band playing. "East Coast" was the bands name. So as we sit there drinking all of a sudden the band starts playing The Bloodhound Gang song "Bad Touch" (the Discovery Channel/Nothing but Mammals song). We both stopped, looked at each other and died laughing. It was so surreal. Sitting in a hotel lounge in Scranton filled with 40 to 65 year olds, listening to a local band playing this song. Then to boot people were dancing to it.

So the next day, seeing my family I wanted to share the surreal experience. I started telling my oldest sister. I got as far as the bands name when she said, "East Coast, they're good". So I did not finish the story with her. Then I was going to tell my second oldest sister. Again I got as far as the bands name when she said "East Coast, they're good". So now twice I got the same response.(which made both my friend and I laugh)(not to her face of course)So then later I started to tell my Dad the same story, no word of lie, as soon as I said the bands name he said "East Coast, they're good". So now three times, from different family members, I received the same response. I had always said Scranton was a time warp/twilight zoneish city. That just proved it. I love my family, just not their taste in local music.

Now that would make a good episode of The Office. One of their out of town clients stays at the Clarion and has the same experience. Then going into the office, starting to tell people his experience, with the same responses. LOL!!! Gotta love Scranton!!!

Posted by: Tony Chiappini at October 27, 2006 11:23 AM

GREETINGS AND HELLO FROM SVEDEN!

Posted by: PER at November 18, 2006 05:36 PM

I feel robbed and tricked... "The Merger" episode has scenes of Kevin shredding all manner of things and even making a salad int eh shredder. There were ads concealed to look like office scenes as these scenes were NOT in the itunes download. We were promised 10 extra minutes... 2 to 3 of which were carefully hidden commercials for Staples.

Posted by: James at November 18, 2006 09:58 PM

That show is soo funny. I used to work in an office like that.

Posted by: Funny at December 5, 2006 12:37 PM

We made this cool LOST/The Office trailer mash-up for this week’s Office episode directed by J.J. Abrams.

Hope you like it:

LOST in the Office

Posted by: Crabsense at February 20, 2007 12:39 PM

St. Patricks Day Parade Dunder Mifflin shirts for charity: http://pixeldstudio.com/paradeday/

Posted by: Dan at February 22, 2007 11:50 PM

Hollywood Goes YouTube
LIMITED-TIME OFFER SUBSCRIBE NOW

(enter your email)
(enter up to 5 email addresses, separated by commas)

Max 250 characters