Businessweek Archives

CW Network Doesn't Roll Off The Tongue

? I'm Looking Forward To Deutsch-Ikea: Part Two |

Main

| Mercedes Benz Could Use An Advertising Jolt ?

January 25, 2006

CW Network Doesn't Roll Off The Tongue

David Kiley

When you snooze, you lose. Adfreak beat me to the punch in asking who thought The CW was a good idea for the new network cobbled together from the bones of The WB and UPN.

The CW? It reminds me of an old episode of I Love Lucy when Lucy and Ethel were starting a dress business and argued over whether the shop name should be Ethel-Lu's or Lucy's choice, Lucy-Eth's.

When you are a TV network, selling ad time, it helps if you convey to your customers that you know something about advertising, marketing, etc. Another comparison that comes to mind: a decade or so ago, two ad agencies handling Chrysler business merged and actually put CME-KHBB on their business cards.

09:57 AM

TrackBack URL for this entry:

Well, I suppose CW beats the reverse. The WC would surely generate some jokes re "water closet." Maybe CWB would be better; or WBC.

Posted by: Steve H at January 25, 2006 02:45 PM

When you choose to snooze,

you lose the news!

Posted by: Helene at February 24, 2006 03:03 PM

I am very unhappy with the merge. I am a fan of the WB and I do not want to lose any of my shows. I don't like UPN at all. I think the merge was a very bad decision.

Posted by: Kacey at February 26, 2006 09:21 PM

Perhaps they will call it 'CWN' that sounds pretty good. C W Network CWN- it rolls off the tongue pretty good!

Posted by: Linda J at February 27, 2006 11:54 AM

My guess is the network hopes that people will refer to it as "cee dub," at least in conversation. "What's on cee dub tonight?"

If so, it might just stick - it's kind of fun to say, and it has just enough of a risqu? connotation (see definition of "c dub" at UrbanDictionary.com) to make it feel like a bit of an inside joke among viewers who might have heard that term before.

Posted by: Angry Crying at March 5, 2006 03:38 AM

i cant belive they are doing this I love the wb the only good show on upn is veronica mars but come on the wb rocks and they should at least keep one tree hill

Posted by: leira at March 26, 2006 02:30 PM

I hope that the cw network takes shows like one tree hill because it is way cool show !!!

Posted by: andrea at March 27, 2006 09:47 AM

The WB merging with UPN was a very bad decision. The WB has the best shows from REBA, WHAT I LIKE ABOUT YOU(which by the way got canceled thanx to The CW),LIVING WITH FRAN, TWINS, to Smallville. UPN sux ass! The only show on UPN thats worth watching is WWE FRIDAY NIGHT SMACKDOWN! Bottom Line The CW is a piece of crap! UPN is goin down and it's bringing The WB down with it!

Posted by: Freddie at April 16, 2006 10:14 PM

i thinks it's a great idea and a good idea,is that some viewers are mad cause black shows are going to be on ,i guess white show

UPN is the best CW will make Every see that two show toghter is wonderful

Posted by: joe Jackson at June 4, 2006 12:28 AM

I am very excited about this merger. I love the UPN network more than I do The WB. Both stations are major players in my book though. I love Smackdown, I love Smallville. I think this is an excellent move and it will be proven in the near future.

Posted by: VChip at June 7, 2006 10:24 PM

All I want is a new season of 'What I Like About You'

Posted by: KC at October 30, 2006 11:11 PM

I love most of the shows on CW i really wish they would bring What I Like About You back gilmore girls is the best and smallvlle is a close second

Posted by: Desiree' at January 20, 2007 01:40 AM