Businessweek Archives

Yahoo mail beta is goes forward--just as I take a step back

? JerryTime Video Blog is Pure Gold |

Main

| Still working on video iPod review. What's that Adobe thing? ?

January 23, 2006

Yahoo mail beta is goes forward--just as I take a step back

Stephen Baker

I struggled with Yahoo's mail beta for three months. After my initial euphoria, when I gave it a thumbs up in a review of Gmail, It seemed to get slower and slower, and a couple of weeks ago, there was an apology on the site--and an offer to return to the classic e-mail. I jumped at it. I have been enjoying much faster service ever since, though without a lot of the desktop-like features of the Beta.

Now I see that Yahoo's offering the beta to a wider audience. Are the problems solved? Is it safe for me to go back?

10:55 AM

TrackBack URL for this entry:

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference Yahoo mail beta is goes forward--just as I take a step back:

? Yahoo! Mail Beta fights spam from life-logs

Yahoo! Mail Beta is one step ahead in fighting spam. In order to send an email, you must enter a verification code to ensure, that you are a homosapien and not a spambot.

But it occured only once, when I wrote my first email using Yahoo! Mail Beta. Af... [Read More]

Tracked on February 23, 2006 01:02 PM

Steve,

I have been using the beta version for a month or so. I have enjoyed the upgrade.

I am awaiting to see how well their RSS feed works. So far that has been dissapointing and therefore I am still using Bloglines.

I don't use it for my "everyday" e-mail but for an "on the road" system, it works great.

Posted by: David Porter at January 23, 2006 12:22 PM

I really really wanted to like the Yahoo beta mail. After about 2 months of trial, I've gone back to Gmail. It seems to me that the future of the web lies in tagging, and relying on a *SLOW* Outlook-esque experience just didn't work for my needs.

If Y! would only add speed, tags (which they could so easily do with the del.icio.us and flickr acquisitions), and a decent RSS engine, I would love to hop on board again!

Posted by: Sam Harrelson at January 23, 2006 08:21 PM

I was a beta user of Yahoo 360 and really enjoyed that. Like the user above, I *wanted* to like the new Yahoo mail. Instead, I found it unusably slow. Unusably. Slow.

I switched back to the regular Yahoo mail in a flash. A few weeks later I tried the mail beta again. Still slow.

I hope they never release this thing to the public, and/or force me to use it, until it's gotten a great deal faster. If anything, faster than regular Yahoo mail. Otherwise, don't bother.

Posted by: Doug Thacker at February 1, 2006 11:36 PM

Not only is Yahoo Mail slow, the new My Yahoo is unusably slow too. Yahoo has gone completely AJAX crazy, throwing it into everything like the days when every site had to have a Java Applet menu navigation.

Posted by: James Fredricks at March 1, 2006 04:28 AM

Agree it slow. Yahoo (and so many others) don't seem to realize that speed always trumps "features". Unfortunately, the old Yahoo has slowed down also

Posted by: Mike at April 20, 2006 08:07 AM

the features are nice, but it's unusably slow! just switched back to the old yahoo.

Posted by: rmr27 at June 20, 2006 06:29 PM

My mail is fine, I am just trying to get in contact with Step Hen Baker, a friend from high school in South Africa.

Posted by: terry van der walt at August 9, 2006 02:59 PM

Yahoo mail has virtually stopped! I've ben trying to open a mail and print the attached image (just 400kb) for three days, but I've still not been able to get my hands on it. Navigating past each page takes a miracle!!!

Posted by: Theodar R at October 9, 2006 01:31 PM

Hollywood Goes YouTube
LIMITED-TIME OFFER SUBSCRIBE NOW

(enter your email)
(enter up to 5 email addresses, separated by commas)

Max 250 characters