Businessweek Archives

Treo 650 or Treo 700w?

? News Flash! Yahoo!'s Newest Acquisition! ;-) |

Main

| Is Siebel's great news great for Oracle? ?

January 12, 2006

Treo 650 or Treo 700w?

Cliff Edwards

I've got to say, sometimes this coopetition thing gives me the willies.

I've been playing with the new Palm Treo 700w for about a week now, and am still finding the Windows Mobile operating system on a Palm device a little disconcerting. Don't get me wrong, the new Treo is wicked-fast for downloads on Verizon's network. But it seems to me the ease of use of the Palm operating system is lost with Windows Mobile, despite the fact that all the companies say Microsoft's operating system becomes much more convenient to use with the one-thumb-away principle of accessing applications that you don't get with many other Windows Mobile devices.

Palm CEO Ed Colligan has said businesses are clamoring for the Windows operating system on handhelds. That no doubt is true. After all, we all want familiarity in our lives, and Windows is certainly familiar. But is it the better OS for a handheld? I'd argue the average consumer might prefer the 650 instead.

Anybody who's looked at both want to weigh in?

12:53 PM

Gadgets

TrackBack URL for this entry:

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference Treo 650 or Treo 700w?:

? Treo 650 or 700w? from Windows Mobile News

Cliff Edwards of Business Week weighs in on the argument/discussion of the moment - Treo 650 or Treo 700w??? and comes out on the side of the 650 (for consumers at least).

... [Read More]

Tracked on January 13, 2006 01:57 AM

?? More reviews of Palm Treo 700W from Cool Tech Reviews

The reviews continue to come in for the Palm Treo 700w, Palm?? first venture into the Windows Mobile arena

... [Read More]

Tracked on January 15, 2006 10:55 AM

I don't know how the 700w could be any more unreliable than the 650 is. My experience is typical of other 650 users I know. It reboots 2-3 times a day, ir doesn't regularly recognize numbers in speed dial, and doesn't regularly pick up a bluetooth headset.

Posted by: Eric at January 12, 2006 08:40 PM

I agree. Well, it doesn't crash THAT much on me, but it crashes about once every other day or so. As far as I'm concerned that's ridiculous. Even Windows doesn't crash that much. The 650 is OK--when it's not crashing--but I'm thinking my next move will be to a separate phone, and a Windows based PDA. Palm doesn't seem to care much about its users, or about improving its products, etc. There are a lot of great things happening in this space, but not by Palm.

Posted by: Abe Burnett at January 13, 2006 02:17 AM

Microsoft is yesterday's news. Too many bugs in every program even for the American consumer. Stay with Palm OS. It is based, designed and enginneered for your handheld; Microsoft is not. Wake up people, the rest of the world will not tolerate telecommunication company's throwing so many restrictions and requirements on simple machines, it just takes us American's more time to catch up!

Posted by: Christiaan Noordendorp, XI at January 15, 2006 01:30 PM

I am a PALM user from way back and hence my life is on PALM. I like its ease of use and practicality. Why try and jam a desktop OS into a handheld other than to try and impress your friends?

Posted by: Dave at January 16, 2006 11:05 AM

New to the PDA game, I am buying one to get a great organizer combined with a good cell phone to avoid carrying yet another gadget. I tried the 650 and the 700, and I found the 650 wasn't as simple as I'd expected, but the 700 was a few steps backward from that. I've never bothered testing the old Windows Mobile 5, and while I have read in BusinessWeek that Palm has greatly improved upon it, I believe Palm would have been wiser to overhaul it's own product rather than propping up another of Microsoft's miserable failures. I don't want to use data or email functions this year at all, so I ignored Blackberry entirely. I recognize that a multifunction product will have shortcomings -- e.g., the copier- scanner- printer -- but neither model meets my minimum expectations.

Posted by: don at February 6, 2006 05:32 AM

StyleTap Inc. now supports the Treo 700w in its latest version (0.9.108) which is now available on our website (www.styletap.com). Users can now run thousands of programs originally written for Palm OS on their Treo 700ws.

BTW, I would recommend that anyone using it on a Treo 700w, should be sure to read the release notes http://www.styletap.com/index.php?page=release_notes.html.

I think that it interesting to note that a lot of WM applications do not run properly or are awkward to use on square screen WM 5 devices, but Palm applications are a perfect fit.

Regards,

Robert Chew

StyleTap Inc.

Posted by: Robert Chew at February 6, 2006 03:15 PM

I am in the process of reading and comparing information and specifications for both the 650 and 700. I do agree with some points that are made here - e.g. Why purchase the 700 with Micro Mobile 5.0 to impress friends or co-workers? Wouldn't the Palm OS 650 do the same? Is the Windows version more complicated and cumbersome to use versus its older sibling?

Posted by: Lonnie P. Villermin at March 22, 2006 07:10 AM

I like the features of the 650, but *everyone* I have spoken to hates the device. Constant reboots, Bluetooth does not work reliably, etc etc. What I really want to know is if Palm fixed the HW problems. Until they do, there is no reason to decide which OS it should run.

Posted by: Michael at June 2, 2006 08:58 AM

I love my Treo 650...I've owned it for over a year and it's been extremely reliable with none of the problems that others mention. I see that Palm has released the Treo 700p which offers the Palm OS in the 700 unit. Since I've been a Palm user for the last 10 years, I prefer the simplicity of the Palm OS over Microsoft's Portable Windows. However, I can see how the 700w can attract other users.

Posted by: Patrick at June 2, 2006 05:58 PM

Hated my Treo 600 (contacts erased when battery empty, even though you could restore from Palm desktop). Now I'm starting to hate my new Treo 700p. My new Treo crashes whenever I go to write an email (WTF). Has anyone else had this problem? Any known fixes?

Posted by: Dre at July 6, 2006 11:15 AM

I owned a Treo 600 and generally was pleased with it. I did not use alot of the freatures, perhaps, and I am not a huge tecchie, but it was comfortable and generally reliable for calls and emails. It simply did not have the blue tooth adn other conveniences I thought it could have and I upgraded to a Treo 700w.

I have hated the Treow. I have had bluetooth issues from the beinning. I have just replaced the Treo for a new one after 7 months and I am not kidding, at least a dozen hours of time on the phone with well-meaning and polite Verizon people, but I have had more than my share of wasted time.

I have asked everyone at Verizon if I am the only one disliking the Treo 700w and I get most answers as, "some issues, but generally resolved with the upgrade..." Maybe so, but I am not convinced.

I would NOT recommend the Treo 700w. Perhaps the 700p is better, but I do not know. And this lack of a recommendation comes from a previous satisfied Treo 600 user (not even a 650!)

Posted by: Keith at July 15, 2006 04:34 PM

I've used both 650P and 650W. The 650W is MUCH better at sync'ng email and things...but it is SOOOOO slow ! I can't imagine Bill Gates using this thing and not throwning it on the floor screaming 'what is wrong with you !'

I have about 2,000 contacts and while doing any type of reasonable search for a name I may as well get in line for a stabucks before it finishes.

Posted by: Marty Goodman at August 16, 2006 10:34 PM

what a rushed to market PIECE OF CRAP!! I use my 700p as my primary contact for business and it keeps costing me $$!! it locks up if I get a IM msg with bluetooth on. so untill I notice and soft restart I can't receive calls. it did an 8 second call phase, where I call a # and it hangs up every 8 seconds!! then every time I open memos it does a soft restart. I hope they put out a fix soon this is my 2nd phone thinking the 1st was just defective.

Posted by: arthur at August 31, 2006 06:42 PM

I am a 650p user and have had no problems other than the first week when it had to be replaced.

I use Sprint and the calls are good, no issue with Bluetooth or emails but use a 3rd party for that one. Will experiement a little with some other things over the next few months to see how they work out. I thought about going to the 700w but not sure I need to at this point in time base on what I read above.

Posted by: Terry at September 15, 2006 11:32 AM

I started out with a 600 from Sprint years ago, and now have a 650 w/verizon. I am currently on my 4rth 650 in 8 months. I asked how many times does it take before I can change models. Verizons answer is 3 times within 60 days. Wow. My biggest problem is that I am addicted. I dont like the minimal uses of the blackberry and am not sure I am ready to take the plunge into the depths of Microsoft madness...

Posted by: Palm is ok i guess at September 20, 2006 09:31 AM

I'm looking in to getting a Treo which one you think is better?

I'm with sprint. I would like a 650?

Posted by: tina Higgins at October 7, 2006 12:55 AM

I've been a 650 user for almost 2 years now and am starting to look into upgrading to a 700 (though from what I'm reading here, it doesn't sound worth the money). I've loved my Treo 650! I browse the web and do regular phone stuff. I mainly use it for appointments and contact management and as an MP3 player. However, I have had some frustrating problems with reboots, especially with certain apps. Overall though, the 650 has exceeded my expectations and has been a worthy investment.

Posted by: Bryan Stone at December 7, 2006 09:01 AM

Has anyone else noticed a serious difference in the camera? My 650 was nice and bright and took relatively nice "low light" shots and the 700 is way dark in comparison...

Is there a way of changing the f stop or lens to make the 700 more like my old 650 was or is that another difference?

Posted by: Mark at December 27, 2006 07:03 PM

I have had the 650 and switched to the 700 and i think it was the worse thing I could've have done. Texting is awful on the 700 it doesn't keep it threaded like the 650. If your a ringtone person with add. software. The ringtones won't play all the way. I keep appointments a lot and I'm constantly having to click all the way to the month schedule. There is more but i like the 650 if you get a 700 get the 700p not windows unless you want a 4 to 5 inch handheld computer.

Posted by: Trae at January 7, 2007 10:49 PM

My Treo 650 gets very poor phone reception...lots of dropped calls, etc. Does anyone know of a "fix" for this? I'm not interested in anything for my vehicle because I typically use the 650 in the office.

Posted by: Phil Raddin at January 11, 2007 05:36 PM

I asked employees at two different retail stores. Both said that the 650 is a better choice over the 700. I didn't ask for details, just a plain overall answer. And what about the 680? Nobody mentioned anything about that phone. It wasn't even sold in the two stores I went to.

Posted by: Charity Angel at January 14, 2007 09:28 AM

I agree with the users reporting problems with the 700p. I have found the 5-month ownership of my Palm Treo 700p to be the most frustrating experience ever with a portable device. Many of the issues are detailed in the following thread, which is being monitored by Palm executives, whom up to this point are hesitating to admit a 'real' problem with the Treo 700p even though they do admit that it hangs and performs worse than the Treo 650:

Posted by: abida dabida at March 21, 2007 04:29 PM

I loved my 650, but decided that after a year to upgrade to the 700w. Let me just say that if you don't like change, stay away from the 700w! I myself love my new phone and after about three weeks of fumbling around trying to adapt to my new phone I found myself right at home with it! I would suggest this phone to anyone new to Palm or anyone just wanting something different. Those who are loyal to Palm OS should stay clear, you will only end up frustrated. Both phones are great and in the year and a half I've had mine it might have crashed maybe 4 times. Which is pretty darn good in my book, and about 1,000 times less than my ipod. :)

Posted by: Jay at April 8, 2007 04:42 PM

Hollywood Goes YouTube
LIMITED-TIME OFFER SUBSCRIBE NOW

(enter your email)
(enter up to 5 email addresses, separated by commas)

Max 250 characters