Businessweek Archives

RSS Reader Recommendation?

? Recommendation list bombing |

Main

| New Stars of Indie Content? ?

January 06, 2006

RSS Reader Recommendation?

Heather Green

I didn't realize it until I read Jeremy Wright's post, but I am also getting fed up with Bloglines. Like Wright, though, I hesitate to dump the newsreader because I like the way Bloglines looks. I just am not that crazy about how it works--or doesn't work consistently.

Any recommendations of alternatives?

09:19 AM

RSS

TrackBack URL for this entry:

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference RSS Reader Recommendation?:

? RSS reader recommendation? NetNewsWire from LexBlog Blog

Heather Green at BusinessWeek and Jeremy Wright, author of recently published Blog Marketing, are getting fed up with Bloglines. Heather says bloglines doesn't work consistently and is asking readers to suggest alternatives. Newsgator is leading the wa... [Read More]

Tracked on January 6, 2006 12:04 PM

Hi Heather

I have no problems with Newsgator to be honest. What did Jeremy say in his post...no link.

Namaste

Al

Posted by: City Hippy at January 6, 2006 09:59 AM

I use Newsgator both online and outlook (had to pay for the outlook part). Using Firefox and greasemonkey it seems to work pretty well...

Posted by: Daveslade at January 6, 2006 10:14 AM

This might help. Might not. You be the judge Heather.

Rojo is a FREE web-based service that lets you efficiently read RSS feeds from publishers big and small, ranging from millions of blogs to the New York Times. There is NO SOFTWARE to download and only Rojo (rhymes with mojo)

They have a blog http://www.rojo.com/?feed-id=494102

Recent Stories from business

Posted by: Jim Dermitt at January 6, 2006 10:19 AM

I like the Google Reader a lot. My only nit - there's no mobile version.

Posted by: Steve Rubel at January 6, 2006 10:19 AM

You might try NewsGator Online. The company owns a few desktop aggregators on the Windows, Mac, mobile, and media platforms, allowing you to syncronizing your read items if you decide to view your feeds outside of the web browser.

Posted by: Niall Kennedy at January 6, 2006 10:21 AM

I would give Pluck's RSS Reader a try. I have been using for awhile now and really like it. Another newer product is Gritwire.com which uses a smooth Flash interface. Finally, if you are looking for an on the go simple solution you could pull your feeds into a "My Yahoo" page which also enables access via mobile devices with an Internet connection.

Posted by: Frank Gruber at January 6, 2006 10:27 AM

If you have access to an Apache web server with MySql or SQLite where you can run some PHP, I'd like to strongly recommend Gregarius (http://gregarius.net/). I reluctantly abandoned Bloglines (after being an early adopter/evangelist) for the same reasons cited by others and haven't missed it a bit. It was also important to me to have everything on my own server, in my control.

Posted by: Lee Potts at January 6, 2006 10:30 AM

I just left bloglines for similar reasons - well, that and just the clunkiness of it. I'm on newsgator now. It's a free or pay to upgrade product - so, they have the resources for more tools, integrations and maintenance. So far, I really like it - posts don't automatically show as read, it includes a clip file (like furl) and the interface is just cleaner. Plus, I'm a netscape user and newsgator works much better with that browser - automatically opening new tabs for click thrus, displaying cleanly, etc.

(Oh, and it's browser-based for free - or outlook-based for cheap)

Posted by: Leigh at January 6, 2006 10:57 AM

I really enjoy using Mozilla Thunderbird's (http://www.mozilla.com/thunderbird/) built in RSS handling ability. When I open the app every morning I have all my email and blog content together in one place.

I will admit, however, that being a desktop app means that it doesn't have the universal access of a 'Web-2.0' gizmo. When I know I have a trip coming up I make sure to dump my feeds from Thunderbird out in OPML format and upload them into Google Reader.

Another option is an upstart personal portal page like Microsoft's Start (http://start.com). The only things I really find wanting about this is that the RSS display is very bare bones - feed text only, no formatting no matter how elaborate the feed.

Hope that helps.

Posted by: Matthew Reinbold at January 6, 2006 10:59 AM

Netvibes is quite good and makes for a great start page.

www.netvibes.com

Posted by: Scooter at January 6, 2006 11:26 AM

Newsgator - easy to use and stable, but no free mobile version.

Posted by: Bob Sargent at January 6, 2006 11:26 AM

Definitely Rojo. Easy-to-use, and terrific for a quick glance at all the recent news via a 'River of News' view (i.e. view all recent stories from your subscribed blogs). I can glance at stories from 200 blogs in about 10-15 minutes.

Rojo offers the more traditional view by blog/folder approach as well.

Left bloglines after a few weeks because it didn't offer a global view. Pluck was too cumbersome, and Newsgator didn't offer all the features I wanted.

As Rojo is web-based, instead of application based, you can access your feeds anywhere. Unfortunately, you won't be accessing content offline, as is the ability with many app-based readers.

Posted by: Don at January 6, 2006 11:28 AM

Here's another way to go Heather.

The "Tagged" RFID implant forums

Get yourself chipped and you can blog yourself and pitch yourself as Heather 2.0. Maybe BusinessWeek can chip Steve first. This sort of thing should become a big trend with all the info junkies out there. I'm still using myBrain 1.0.

Retailers may start tagging the wage slaves soon.

Being chipped and tagged could be an advantage when applying for a job.

Posted by: Jim Dermitt at January 6, 2006 11:54 AM

Give Attensa for Outlook and the beta of Attensa Online a try. Easy tagging, blog publishing, and automatic podcast downloads and interesting work on Attention. A mobile version is coming.

Posted by: Scott Niesen at January 6, 2006 01:14 PM

With RFID-RSS-WI-FI you will be able to pitch your Google AdSense ads directly from your chip implant via wi-fi. This may sort of be like people selling body ads at ebay. For two or three grand you let a company chip you with an ad chip and stand around Wal-Mart all day handing out samples or greeting. Maybe this will be a part of the Google $200.00 PC sales plan with the Wal-Marteers. If there's going to be world domination, you might as well make a buck. Maybe CBS will offer a news implant, sponsored by Wal-Mart and you will have to wear rabbit ears when you shop to get the lowest prices. I just don't know.

Posted by: Jim Dermitt at January 6, 2006 01:49 PM

How about a free wireless news chip Heather?

We tag you, you get free use of the chip for six months and after that you can keep the chip or send it back. It should make you more popular and you will have more readers, which should help you advance professionally.

You can be Heather Green|Always On.

Posted by: Jim Dermitt at January 6, 2006 02:01 PM

Jim, you're definitely on a roll! But I just have a simple request right now though, software..on a computer.

Posted by: Heather Green at January 6, 2006 02:26 PM

Clearly I am going to be busy downloading this weekend...I actually tried Newsgator earlier in the year, so unless it's much different, I don't think that's the one for me. I also heard that Google was slow. But thanks, really, for the recommendations.

Posted by: Heather Green at January 6, 2006 02:28 PM

I use BlogBridge (www.blogbridge.com) - a real powerful tool when you subscribe to many different feeds as I do (disclosure - I have been helping this open source project in the past). Some of the features that make blogbridge my favorite reader are:

- easy to use with great intuitive UI

- ability to set up smartfeeds - synthetic feeds that either cull your owns feeds for specific information or the blogosphere

- ability to set up opml reading lists

- tagging capabilities

- automatic synchronization between different computers

- recommended feeds by human experts

- rich filtering capabilities

And it's free.

Posted by: francois at January 6, 2006 02:35 PM

Whoa, a lot of responses but none that mentioned Klipfolio, definately one of the tops out there. I tried dozens of readers and Klipfolio made a big impression. Small, customizable, alerts, image support.... here's how I have it set up on my desktop:

Webbased readers like Rojo, and searchfox are nice, but Klipfolio beats 'em all. IMHO of course. ;)

And its on the desktop as you wanted it.

Posted by: Klim at January 6, 2006 02:52 PM

Get something that does more than just grab feeds.

Onfolio is a much broader research tool. Collect and store web pages, as well as feeds.

Blog from it. And more.

www.onfolio.com

I have no connection with the firm.

Posted by: Michael Kenward at January 6, 2006 02:54 PM

oops, and to save you some googling, Klipfolio can be found at Serence.com (klipfolio.com will get you there too). I recommend their Beta 3.0. It's stable.

- and I don't work for klipfolio either. Happy user, that's all.

Posted by: Klim at January 6, 2006 02:55 PM

I use FeedDemon, Heather. It's software, but I spend so much time on planes that it's handy to grab my feeds where I have connectivity and then read on the plane. Same reason I still like Outlook over Gmail. Bradbury Software was bought by NewsGator, and they're working on integration, so you'll be able to use FeedDemon for your computer-based reader and it'll synch up with NewsGator Online, so you can use an online reader, as well.

Posted by: Shel Holtz at January 6, 2006 03:05 PM

I've been trying out alternatives to Bloglines recently - specifically Rojo, Newsgator and Feeddemon. Unfortunately none of them did enough to convince me to switch - you can read about it here: http://www.scalefree.info/2006/01/aggregators_and.html

Posted by: anu at January 6, 2006 03:54 PM

I agree with Shel, FeedDemon is the way to go.

I've been experimenting with Flock for browser-based feed reading / management. I find myself always going back to FeedDemon.

Posted by: Bill Johnston at January 6, 2006 04:41 PM

Heather, do you have a Mac? If so...

NetNewsWire + Mac = crazy delicious

: )

Posted by: Jackie Huba at January 6, 2006 07:58 PM

Definitely KlipFolio, have tried the others out there but am sticking to my "RSS monitor" as I like to call it. Has images, customised "Klips", and you can even make your own very easily (= your own branded RSS feedreader box). You can find it at www.serence.com

Posted by: Philippe Borremans at January 7, 2006 06:06 PM

(1.) Get firefox

(2.) Install the Sage aggregator extension (http://sage.mozdev.org/).

Sage is built on the firefox bookmark system but it shows the feeds separately to the left of the main window. You can just refresh the feeds to see what's new and then click to see the link in your window. No application switching. Sage has increased my ability to find stuff 1000%

(P.S. And be sure to use tabbed browsing to keep everything neatly in one firefox window.)

Posted by: George Entenman at January 8, 2006 02:15 PM

Heather,

I tried several off-line aggregators (windows based) and found that the best arrangement for me is one that integrates with my e-mail client. I do most of my e-mailing during my commute. Blogreading has become part of my daily e-mail ritual.

Being somewhat adhd infected, I don't remember to read feeds separately from e-mails, so I would skip for days. Then skip boatloads of posts.

Since my e-mail client is Mozille Thunderbird, it has the reader built-in, that is motherhood and apple pie for me. If you are on some other client (MS Outlook) that might drive you to pay for the gator plugin...

Of course I am forced to use the evil Lotus Notes at work, so I have a bootleg t-bird client there, and I skip days and posts on my more job related blogs and feeds. Nothing is perfect. In the end, it is all about how the service fits into your personal rhythm.

Also, the t-bird reader has an option to display the terse text, or the whole web page. The pages don't display offline.

It is a compromise for those blogs that have ultra-terse teasers in the feed, rather than the full text, like this one...

Good luck in your selection process.

Posted by: Rich Stone at January 8, 2006 04:15 PM

I do all my feed reading (which is quite a bit) in the Yahoo! Mail Beta and like it a lot.

I could never go back to a desktop reader.

Posted by: Dave at January 8, 2006 05:40 PM

Give NewsGator Online a try. Not only is it one of the top free web-based readers, it synchronizes content across all of its readers if you have a need to access your content outside of the browser. NewsGator's readers include the Outlook version for email, the award winning FeedDemon (desktop) and the award winning NetNewsWire (if you're working on a Mac).

Posted by: Denise Garcia at January 9, 2006 07:19 PM

I use NewsFire for my Mac and love it. For others, I recommend Netvibes as a starter, it's simple and has other nice features that keep the user interested.

Posted by: James Clark at January 10, 2006 01:54 AM

Funny, but since their co-lo move in December, Bloglines is 100% better than ever in terms of performance. Are you reading about old problems or new ones? Seems like they are past the problems you mention.

Posted by: Gary Silverman at January 14, 2006 04:11 PM

I use sharpreader & Omea Reader

Posted by: Mike King at January 18, 2006 08:49 PM

I think AgileRss worth a try. It's a cross platform desktop news reader with some very usefull features. For me, the most interesting one is the news ticker so I can minimize the application in system tray, do my everyday work and manage new articles from the ticker. Other features I find interesting are: the support for virtual feeds, newspaper view, import/export in OPML, groups subscribed feeds into custom categories.

Posted by: Silvestru at November 2, 2006 03:39 AM