Businessweek Archives

We're Back

? Perfomancing launches forums |

Main

| Predictions of a year gone by while surveying transit strike ?

December 19, 2005

We're Back

Heather Green

We were down for a while because of a network hiccup. They did some work on the BW network over the weekend, which prevented us in NY from being able to blog today. But we're back.

04:14 PM

BusinessWeek

TrackBack URL for this entry:

Welcome back Heather, your absence was noticed. Glad that things may be back to normal now.

Posted by: Michael Bailey at December 19, 2005 06:20 PM

First it was the blog network, now it's the transit network. Good news for the cabbies. Any taxi blogs out there?

Posted by: Jim Dermitt at December 20, 2005 09:42 AM

I was thinking the same thing Jim!

Posted by: Heather Green at December 20, 2005 10:14 AM

Companies that don't need people to gather at the office are always running and have some advantages. People are the network and the technology is just a means. I find it amazing that you were not able to blog because of a network problem. If you can't get to the office, you should be able to set up a small satellite office from home or anyplace and continue working. No bus, no problem and if the network is not working you can still keep working. You could also sit in traffic and fight your way to and from the office which isn't very productive. One result of the transit network being down will be more colds and flu because people are walking to and from the office in the freezing cold winter wonderland. I love New York, damn the cold though. They want you at the office because that's how it's always been. Are you still using typewriters at the office too?

Posted by: Jim Dermitt at December 21, 2005 09:30 AM

Jim,

This was pretty much an anomoly. We can obviously blog and work from home. Our offices here in NYC did some big network work over the weekend that somehow included reassigning IP addresses. (believe me, I don't understand it. Somehow by mistake the connection between the Moveable Type application and our new IP addresses was severed or not reassigned. Mistakes happen.

Posted by: Heather Green at December 21, 2005 10:29 AM

Maybe it was a rush job. Everything moves at such a frantic pace now days. I'm done for the day. I have some stuff to do, that can't be done with the computer. The computer can wait until later. It's now or never. Have fun!

Posted by: Jim Dermitt at December 21, 2005 12:42 PM

I thought you might be interested in my blog, which features stories from my new york city cab life. I drive nights, so I think some of the stories are racy, (if you catch my drift)?

Posted by: ronald dondiego at February 22, 2006 01:58 PM

Burger King's Young Buns
LIMITED-TIME OFFER SUBSCRIBE NOW

(enter your email)
(enter up to 5 email addresses, separated by commas)

Max 250 characters