Businessweek Archives

This Week's Podcast with Ron Bloom of PodShow

? Conversation migrates from BusinessWeek java story |

Main

| Wikipedia's Jimmy Wales Talks ?

December 14, 2005

This Week's Podcast with Ron Bloom of PodShow

Heather Green

On this week's podcast about the business of podcasting we talk with Ron Bloom.

Along with podcasting evangelist Adam Curry, Bloom co-founded PodShow, a startup network aimed at attracting thousands of indie podcasters and advertisers. Bloom describes how they're putting the network together and working with advertisers. He talks about how he expects advertising to be different on podcasting and how PodShow works with indie podcasters. And he discusses the recent controversy that followed Curry's editing out of information in Wikipedia about contributions other people made to podcasting.

09:18 AM

podcasting

TrackBack URL for this entry:

Great podcast. Very enlightning. I've been waiting to hear what Podshow's Adam Curry and Ron Bloom have in mind to help podcasters to produce quality podcasts and monetize them. I liked what I heard Ron Bloom say were Podshow's plans. He can count me in. I've been waiting for a medium like podcasting for so long. I'm an aspiring screenwriter, but getting your screenplay made is close to impossible even for professional screenwriters. This is because of the costs associated with turning a screenplay into a movie. Podcasting allows me to be creatve on the cheap AND show my creation to an audience. Ron Bloom just stated in your podcast that my podcast might even make me money, which might allow me to be an "artist" fulltime, something that writing and failing to sell screenplays for years hasn't allowed me to do. I'm very exited about my artistic future. The future looks bright. Great podcast. Very informative.

Posted by: Bill Clinton Podcast at December 14, 2005 02:58 PM

I respect your work Heather but I have to say with the interview you had with Ron, you gave him a lot of softball questions. This is one of the most controversial figures in podcasting and some of his answers weren't responded to with some tough follow up. There was a lot of times during the interview where he's just using mind numbing jargon and you would just say "yeah, uh huh". I just think you missed a great opportunity to ask him some tough, thought provoking questions. I hope you'll listen back to the interview and see some of the things I am thinking you missed.

Posted by: Aaron at December 15, 2005 12:23 AM

Aaron and err, Bill, thanks to both of you for your comments. Aaron, I think you have some good points, thanks for bringing them up. I think part of it is that I am new to audio interviews, and the idea that this is being recorded is still very much in my mind as we're doing it. That gets in the way. But it's good to hear outside advice like this, to focus on what to work on.

Posted by: Heather Green at December 15, 2005 10:21 AM

Hi Heather,

Thanks for doing this interview. I agree with Aaron that you let Ron off a bit easy on several questions, but kudos to you for your willingness to listen to feedback from us.

The reality is that Podshow is the 800lb. gorilla in podcasting right now and even though we see their name in the news every other day, they haven't really given any concrete info on what they are going to do. If they're not ready to announce something, fine, don't announce it, but I don't think answering 90% of an interviewers legitimate questions with marketing jargon is worthy of your publications time.

Take care,

Scott

Posted by: American Cliche at December 15, 2005 02:18 PM

Our stats show that over 80% of our listeners at storynory use iTunes. I don't think that there is anything "delightful" about iTunes, in fact, it's clunky and difficult, but like it or not, Apple, not Podshow, are the gatekeepers of podcasting. If Apple choose to do the sponsorship thing, they can squash Podshow. It's not really a question of if, but when....So what ever Podshow is doing about creating "listener delight" - and he was pretty obscure about that, it had better be pretty delightful.

Posted by: Hugh Fraser at December 15, 2005 05:08 PM

Help

I work for the radio magazine and i am trying to track down a photograph of Adam Curry and Ron Bloom.

Our magazine goes to press tomorrow at 2pm. can anyone please help

many thanks

sandra pearson, administrator

Posted by: sandra pearson at September 18, 2006 11:53 AM

American Apparel's Future
LIMITED-TIME OFFER SUBSCRIBE NOW

(enter your email)
(enter up to 5 email addresses, separated by commas)

Max 250 characters