Businessweek Archives

Trump Brand Should File Charges of Parental Abuse

? Sex Still Sells Baby!! X-Rated Liqueur and Svedka Show The Way |

Main

| House Party: At Alexis Stewart's. ?

December 01, 2005

Trump Brand Should File Charges of Parental Abuse

David Kiley

Donald Trump's name will now be used to push vodka. Drinks Americas Holdings Ltd., which markets other "celebrity" beverages, is the instigator.

"Trump: The World's Finest Super Premium Vodka" will be sold starting around May, CEO J. Patrick Kenny said. Terms of the deal were not disclosed.

This morning on Don Imus's syndicated radio show, which is simulcast on MSNBC, Trump said he doesn't drink vodka, has never and will never taste the stuff that bears his name, and has had second thoughts about it given that he knows several alcoholics, including his late brother. "I know it's like tobacco companies making cigarettes and then advertising 'don't smoke,' which I think is ridiculous." he also said, "But it's a legal product and if I don't sell it someone else will..."

A month or more ago, Trump also said that he didn't have anything to do with the Martha Stewart edition of The Apprentice, despite the fact that his name is on the show credits in huge letters as "Executive Producer."

Not for nothing, but Donald Trump has a brand name. And when you buy into a Trump building, there is expecation that the building will be run as a first class operation because Trump wouldn't do it any other way. But, it seems to me, that if he keeps throwing around his name brand as haphazardly as he is doing, pretty soon few people will value it.

Hell, did he really need the money from vodka royalties?

05:37 AM

Brands In Motion

TrackBack URL for this entry:

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference Trump Brand Should File Charges of Parental Abuse:

? Trump won't drink Trump Vodka??? from Real Estate School - Become Trump

Trump Brand Should File Charges of Parental Abuse

Business Week

David Kiley

"Trump: The World's Fi... [Read More]

Tracked on December 2, 2005 05:57 PM

Well now, a point I can agree with you on David. His name is supposed to be associated with first class. If he backs anything and everything just for a dollar, he'll soon be middle class.

Posted by: Jodi at December 15, 2005 04:21 PM

The big problem here is that the products are too different. I can understand mixing world-class office towers, millions dollar high-rise condos and gold courses designed for the rich and famous. They go together well because they appeal to the same audience.

But vodka?

Sure, it might be top-quality vodka, but I still don't see the fit. I think it dilutes the Trump brand more than it's worth.

To say "if I don't sell it somebody else will" leaves the door open to just about anything. Where do you stop with a guideline like that?

What's next, Trump deodorant? Trump laundry detergent? Trump toothpaste? Maybe something The Donald could use himself, like Trump Hair Gel!

Posted by: Kevin Stirtz at December 15, 2005 05:54 PM

i had the vodka and it is very smooth

Posted by: joe at October 18, 2006 12:38 PM

I think it makes good sense. The licensing of the Trump "brand" does not have to be boring and within property and golf courses. Extensions into completely different product categories are not unreasonable if there is some connection. I think the connection is at a more emotional, brand personality level. It is about the upper-class lifestyle, fine-quality things, the best in life. That's what the Trump brand is about. We'll see a shift from Trump being known for outstanding real estate and super-luxury condos, office bldgs, etc to a more general notion of being known for super-luxury products.

That's what I think anyway - it is a great thing that he (and his team, which I am sure is super-talented) is doing. Go Trump!

Posted by: ScholarlyThinker at October 19, 2006 11:41 AM

Well, of course any vodka drinker will try it but does it have enough cache to keep them coming back? Will there be Trumpette gals out in bars promoting the stuff with giveaway Trump hairpiece wigs? Trump vodka may fizzle out before the initial investment is recovered.

Posted by: Don Rowe at October 26, 2006 05:41 PM

I can't believe he said, "If I don't sell it someone else will." It sounds like a guilty drug dealer who instead of making change, forms to the environment around himself. Personally, I can't see why anyone would even want to buy the Vodka anyway. Would you want to drink from Donald's comb-over head?

Posted by: Chad Pagoria at November 9, 2006 02:00 PM

Not a big deal. Who drinks Trump water? It is sold at Wollman Rink in Central Park which is managed by a Trump company. I do not see it anywhere else.

Posted by: Peaceful Warrior at January 8, 2007 06:38 PM

Wonder why Donald Trump won't drink his own vodka? Check out the bottle on ebay that has a bug inside. No kidding! Brand new sealed bottle that was purchased just a few miles from his Mar-A-Largo mansion down in Florida. Apparently being a Billionaire doesn't help to keep the bugs out. No Quality Control there!!! He needs a Star on the Walk Of Shame.

Posted by: Brandy at January 18, 2007 12:19 AM

I had trump water in trump bar.. on the first floor of trump tower... it a nice SMALL bar.. but only go for one drink... as you could have expected... insanely expensive

Posted by: Tom at January 18, 2007 06:40 PM

I think that this has to be the biggest insult to the Vodka industry. I saw a video press release and the guy in charge has no idea what he's talking about. He just kept rambling on about the high quality. The vodka itself will be a standard "off the shelf" vodka but in a gold bottle(big deal).

I really think that the whole thing has been totally misread and badly handled! They know nothing about the industry!!!!!

Posted by: Tom Armstrong at January 30, 2007 08:42 AM

Let's look at the roll out of this product objectivly. Love him or hate him the Trump name sells. He is pulling no punches-it's about the money. Speaking of money (DKAM) Drink America is up over 75% making investors lots of cash. It is a premium vodka no matter how you cut it and has created 2.5 Million in sales for (DKAM) in Oct 06 alone. By the way Martha Stewart has her name on pretty much everything at K-Mart and has overcome all odds making her investors money along the way. Is this a great country or what-down with the haters!! Well think I will go pour myself a T&T (Trump and tonic) and count the money I have made in (DKAM).

Posted by: Greg at January 31, 2007 02:10 PM

OK, here's the real deal: Trump owns half of the project, and 100% of profits from his half go directly to charity. The same people who put together Paul Newman's salad dressing, etc. are behind this. It really helps that the Vodka is excellent as well.

Posted by: gerard at February 1, 2007 10:31 PM

I am not a Trump fan but I tasted the Trump Vodka last night and it is definitely smoother than other premium vodkas currently available. Great for martini lovers.

Posted by: Jeannette at February 11, 2007 10:21 AM

During the time you spent criticizing the Donald, he made another $3 or $4 million, to add to his current net worth of $2.9 billion. Who are you? Beat him at his game or keep quiet. You've probably already moved on to a "I hate Britney website anyway". Here's advice: Get IN the game. It's a lot more fun than criticizing others who are actually participating and succeeding. You're insecurities and feeling of inadequacy is causing your jealousy and outward, unfair judgements. Last question I have for you: If there was a HALL OF FAME for what YOU do for a career (if you have one) would YOU be inducted as a member?

Posted by: Jim Derosa at February 23, 2007 01:25 PM

Love the guy or hate him the Vodka is good...

I'm not much of a Vodka Drinker but it is pretty smooth I have to admit..

Don't knock it until you've tried it...

Posted by: Mike at March 28, 2007 06:32 PM