Businessweek Archives

Is the Job Market Really 'Buoyant'?

? United Kingdom R&D goes into the tank |

Main

| 'Buoyant' is the word for today ?

November 29, 2005

Is the Job Market Really 'Buoyant'?

Michael Mandel

The current WSJ refers to "today's buoyant job market" (left hand column, page B1).

Here's my informal poll. Who here thinks the job market is 'buoyant'?

11:15 AM

Labor Market

TrackBack URL for this entry:

It is buoyant in a few sectors like construction, finance, government, healthcare, imports and transportation, and buoyant in that enough workers leave the workforce to keep unemployment down. Moribund is closer to the mark as a whole.

Posted by: Lord at November 29, 2005 02:24 PM

I can't speak for the rest of the country, but from anecdotal and other evidence, the job market here in Phoenix, AZ is a bit better than the word of the day, "buoyant". From the looks of it, retailers the bottom-feeder employers like retailers, fast food outlets, and other low-skill service industries are hunting for help, which was not the case six months or so ago.

Posted by: Nathan at December 2, 2005 10:59 AM

If by bouyant you mean filled with hot air that comes from burning dollars, I would agree.

Business confidence has upticked, as can be seen by the rises in software and equipment purchases, but this is a rather anemic level given profit and GDP growth. Most growth still seems to source from massive federal budget deficits and foreign account deficits. TINSTAAFL - someone, somewhere, is going to pay for that.

Posted by: Stirling Newberry at December 5, 2005 07:13 PM

It's buoyant if the question is: "Do I have a job?" Beyond that, unnerving, aggravating, and inefficient would be my first responses. I don't dare make a large purchase (or even get married), for fear that I may be unemployed in the next five years. I would consider grad school, but is there any evidence that things are better for MBA's or lawyers? Inefficient? Most people that I know that are around my age (40) are vastly under-utilized - our jobs simply don't challenge us intellectually (I don't drink on the job, but I've often thought that it might make the day go by more quickly). It's not hard to imagine that it's like that for most workers.

So, while free marketers boast that 'creative destruction' frees up the talented to do new, interesting things, I've yet to encounter businesses in my own job hunt that are truly interested in displaced or under-challenged, but talented Americans ... perhaps if I were Indian, and willing to work for $13k/yr! I truly have seen the best minds of my generation rot!!

Posted by: Larry B. at December 9, 2005 01:04 AM

Until people like yourself, no offense, can stop thinking about only themselves and the people right next to them. There will always be a problem with the GDP and the job market. Think about the country as a whole, we are neighbors to many other countries, (people) who are affected by what we do everyday, and vice versa. So until we start showing an image of ourselves, (USA), as a friendly neighbor, nobody will view us as one. Or simply put, NO COMMENT.

Also start thinking, "there is no such thing as black or white" and start thinking, "everything is grey". Quit giving everything a color, and quit trying to label everything. I have bought many entertainment items from "mom and pop" stores who gave me better service than any corporation could give. Simple because they can remember a face and are willing to order anything you ask them to. Also becuase they were just around the corner a short walk or bike ride away, where i could stare @ the blue sky to and from the entertainment store and think to myself, "damn its a beautiful day". Now i am going to take the banana bread out of the oven and smoke a smoke with no additives in it. thank you, good night and good day, i am so gay.

Posted by: shimy shag at December 13, 2005 03:36 PM

I'm not impressed with the job market, particularly for average folks. If your not specialized or certified in a rare skill you have to look over your shoulder. It's been a bad decade for average people and even municipal workers like myself must now worry. A college degree and some effort don't reward my generation like it did my father's(he's a boomer).

Posted by: casey at December 28, 2005 07:45 AM

All these comments kinda make you think where Dubya is getting his numbers, huh?

Posted by: ben c at December 29, 2005 01:07 PM

Hollywood Goes YouTube
LIMITED-TIME OFFER SUBSCRIBE NOW

(enter your email)
(enter up to 5 email addresses, separated by commas)

Max 250 characters