Businessweek Archives

Yahoo's new e-mail: Too slow

? Angry AOL bloggers now push boycotts |

Main

| Now that TiVo moves to iPods, how to skip commercials? ?

November 20, 2005

Yahoo's new e-mail: Too slow

Stephen Baker

I've been trying out the beta version of Yahoo's new e-mail for a couple of months. Like Forrester's Charlene Li, At first I was impressed. It appeared to work nearly as well as a desktop system, but with a more tradional approach than Google's Gmail. I took a lot of heat from Gmail aficionados by praising Yahoo's new mail in a review of Gmail.

But now the Yahoo mail is taking far too long to load. On my connection, it takes fully 52 seconds. That's compared to 8 seconds for Gmail and 5 seconds for the old warhorse, Hotmail. Maybe Yahoo has too few servers handling increased supply. But if they don't speed up this new version of Yahoo mail, it'll be a flop.

10:30 AM

Weekend Rant

TrackBack URL for this entry:

Good point -i thought it was my computers doing it - but yahoo has been loading very slowly.

I've had the address since 1996 - and I get hundreds of spam, excuse me, bulk mail opportunities a day. I wonder if it's time to retire the old yahoo account?

new address switching technologies make it easy for the people I want to find me.

Posted by: Jim Durbin at November 21, 2005 12:56 PM

52 seconds? That sounds pretty bad.

Takes me 6-7 seconds on IE and a tad more on FF (Firefox 1.5 is faster than 1.0). What are you using?

Try deleting the cache.

I have a 1.6 GHz, 512MB Ram and a cable connection. Nothing fancy.

Posted by: Dave at November 22, 2005 05:15 AM

Dave,

I'm using IE on a three-year-old laptop (don't know the numbers, but I'm guessing slower than yours). I already deleted the cache. It's a cable connection through WiFi. I just tried it again, at 6:30 a.m. eastern, and it took 20 seconds. I find it slow even when I'm on our brand new desktop, or at work.... Just walked downstairs to try it: 12 seconds.

Posted by: steve baker at November 22, 2005 06:40 AM

Been having plenty of slowness with yahoo regardless of browser lately.

Posted by: Josh at February 18, 2006 04:32 PM

not only very slow at accessing webmail, but also mails take 30mins (at times) to arrive!

Posted by: john at March 4, 2006 09:33 AM

Not only is the new Yahoo! beta version of webmail too slow - attempts to provide constructive feedback to them prove futile because accesses to twiki.corp.yahoo.com (the webpage you are redirected to when you click Help -> SendFeedback from the email client) timeout. I have used Yahoo! email for a few years now so I am willing to cut them some slack. If responsiveness of the email servers doesnt improve soon though, I'm converting to gmail.

Hope Yahoo! is listening.

Posted by: mike at March 5, 2006 07:32 PM

When they first released teh Beta, the feedback link worked. I sent them several items, none of which have been addressed. Recently, the ad server has gone to heck, holds up the entire system, and occasionally crashes Firefox. Sure wish I could provide feedback on THAT. It's free, and I guess you get what you pay for.

Posted by: MAC at March 22, 2006 03:47 PM

I agree, way too slow. Too slow to access and too slow to read mail.

Posted by: stuart at April 20, 2006 02:45 PM

I don't think the problem is the new Beta mail page, rather, all Yahoo mail is now creeping at a snails pace. I think the mail servers have been compromised by a worm that is yet undetected.

Posted by: t weyman at June 21, 2006 07:44 PM

It's slow as molasses

Posted by: Shanna at June 22, 2006 04:36 PM

For 3 weeks now my yahoo account (old account, not beta) has been extremely slow. Before this there was never an issue, even on dialup. (we're talking minutes to bring up the inbox) Tried deleting all caches, Firefox, using a diff. computer etc etc. It is still just plain slow. Can anyone at Yahoo shed some light on the problem? I will have to give up the account shortly - it is really just too much of an issue.

Posted by: Susan at June 27, 2006 03:09 PM

Same complaint - last few weeks have been terrible with Yahoo mail inbox - not sure if it is their ad server or something else. Hope Yahoo comes clean and posts a message explaining what is going wrong.

Posted by: Kevin at June 28, 2006 08:14 PM

It is slow but nothing like 20s, it takes me about 6-7s to open it.

Posted by: Jake Kol at July 1, 2006 12:34 PM

Yes. The yahoo mail(not new) is dead slow. Somebody is telling the slow by seconds. But my case is very worst. After i log in it is trying to show my home page. Then after 2~3 minute I am recieving "The page cannot be displayed". I don't know what secret in my yahoo!!!

Infact my connection is ADSL.

For the last 2 days I can't able log in. Now I am using YPOPs! to recieve my mails into my outlook express. But still i can't able to send mails.

Also I have problem with Yahoo Messenger. My friend sent me message. I can read her message. But She can't able to read my message. 1st time I was met het through Yahoo Messenger. But now we can't able chat.

But still I am having hope with yahoo. I don't like to give up my yahoo. Bcoz past 11 years i am using yahoo. I hope Yahoo will solve this problem ASAP. But this problem will continue for another 2~3 weeks, then i can't wait for my faverit yahoo. I may need to change to Google. Last year, one of my friend recomonded the google. but i did not considered. Bcoz Yahoo is my faverit. May be in future, i need to consider google.

Posted by: Sampath at July 4, 2006 01:00 PM

I'm so frustrated with Yahoo I'm looking for a new email host. It takes 20-30 seconds to delete a message, open a message and too many spams. Any suggestions?

Posted by: Julie at July 27, 2006 06:39 PM

Indeed -- Yahoo's "new" mail interface won't even open for me in Firefox 1.5.0.6 -- EVERY time I try it (after all the usual clearing and wiping the slate clean in cache, history, cookies, etc.) it 'unexpectedly quit' and the Talkback feature kicks on to ask if I want to Close or Quit (which never works and I have to force-quit Firefox anyway). Complete pain in the butt -- Safari still uses the old mail interface, since Yahoo has yet to produce a 'new' one for that browser at all. They certainly are not as attentive to details like Google is, and their troubleshooting and testing for ALL user experiences is sorely lacking!

Posted by: stevO at August 10, 2006 01:26 PM

Yahoo beta mail is nice, and i like the new features over the old yahoo mail, but it's too slow to live with. For now, I'm using Safari with old yahoo mail instead of Firefox with Yahoo Beta until they can somehow increase the speed.

Posted by: Benjamin Brown at August 23, 2006 04:34 PM

I have been having trouble loading yahoo mail pages in the past 3 days. It's not slow, it simply NOT LOADING at all !

Posted by: Anita Leong at September 17, 2006 12:35 AM

Same here. I've noticed 4 out of 5 times Yahoo mail pages don't seem to be loading at all regardless of browser. For me the problems started when I upgraded to the latest Yahoo Messenger with Voice (version 8.0.0.716 -- module 8.0.0.1). After that messenger kept up chewing up processor cycles and hanging intermittently -- at times hanging the machine (no, I don't have viruses, trojans, etc. -- I've checked thoroughly and I have all the latest Windows updates). I like Yahoo. I've been with them from the very beginning. However, what is one to do when it just doesn't work? Jump ship and go to Google? I won't like it but it just may come to that.

Posted by: Mat at September 21, 2006 11:32 AM

The upgrade has been a disaster and needs to get fixed quickly if people are not going to turn away from Yahoo in droves.

Posted by: Adam Pode at October 3, 2006 03:21 PM

Way too slow I have a very fast internet connection and have been forced to go back because of sluggish mail. Slow to open, preview, and just about everything. Good features but you got to speed it up!

Posted by: Matt at October 24, 2006 10:34 AM

I just opted out as well- wow. I'd forgotten how nice and fast the regular yahoo mail was. It's nice to be back using it. The beta mail didn't add any real functionality and the constant popups were ANNOYING! Good riddance and I hope it doesn't come back.

Posted by: Justin at November 10, 2006 11:26 PM

I have been using yahoo mail for the last 5 years but since early this year yahoo has been extremly slow!! At first I thought it was my ISP but after doing extensive research from my friends I discovered that it Yahoo itself was the culprit. Yahoo is taking ages to download the home page and worse still compose at times take even up to 10 minutes to open. Its really frustrating. Yahoo, please do something quick!!

Posted by: John at November 14, 2006 08:40 AM

I haven't been able to load Yahoo at all. I work via Yahoo, and it's VERY frustrating. I can get it on my phone, but then there's no way to go into my small business account with the address that's my business' domain name (only let's me see the one with the Yahoo domain name).

This is untenable.

Posted by: Ruth at November 17, 2006 10:06 AM

Slow is one problem, but even worse, not being able to compose, forward, or reply to email at all.

This has happened 4 times. I contact their customer service & get a response that according to their findings, the problem is on my end & not theirs. And then suddenly, a day or 2 later, it works again.

look forward to (if lucky enough for it to happen) it working one more time so I can transfer to another provider FAST. This is the most unbelievable situation I've ever encountered and can't believe it's happening in this day and age..... Unbelievable and can never find an answer to the problem with Yahoo or any other research link!!!

Posted by: Lisa at November 22, 2006 06:57 AM

i need a new mail address

Posted by: jackie at December 3, 2006 01:19 PM

Yahoo runs painfully slow! I?? pulling out my hair every day. 52 seconds is a good speed for me, often the pages dont load at all. If they can?? resolve their issues soon I?? moving to G-mail.

Ahhh heck this blog has been running for months. I think it?? time to just change everything over now. If they haven?? addressed this issue by now they aren?? going to.

Posted by: kevinsky18 at December 6, 2006 03:55 PM

I have been having a trouble loading a yahoo mail

pages for last 5 days.Its too slow.Its takes 25-30mins.why?Is there any way to solve my problem?

Posted by: susmita at January 2, 2007 05:55 PM

i beeing boot out of game pool for nothing your yahoo pool suck big time

Posted by: lucien rivest at January 3, 2007 05:03 PM

I regret to have used the beta version. wasted too much time "waiting" for the messages to load. i've notified my contacts that i'm using another email address.

Posted by: free spirit at January 3, 2007 09:03 PM

Yahoo email servers now taking longer than snail mail.

Email from friends on east coast take an average of one day to deliver -- both they and I are using yahoo email!

Scratching my head and wondering why Google is making all of that money and Yahoo is not ;-)

Well, after six plus years with Yahoo, Google servers speedily accept me with open arms ... come to Daddy ;-)

Posted by: Austin at January 8, 2007 03:20 AM

I am grateful for all the comments above. I have cleaned the disk and defragmented, wiped out all my inbox and sent box emails and still have the slowest mail I have ever known. I agree, its time to change. Tried to contact Yahoo, but to no avail.

Posted by: Barbara at January 8, 2007 12:59 PM

I have the same complaint. Yahoo! Beta is way to slow for my taste, and I am a pretty patient person. I finally had to switch back to regular mode because I couldn't take the wait and the constant system crashes any longer. Even when I try to access Yahoo! Beta at work (where the computers are state-of-the-art and the Internet connection is very fast), the servers at Yahoo! take long.

In fact, I've been seeing over the months that Yahoo! Mail as a whole has been slow. Many of my messages that I send to my Yahoo account from the same account or from other accounts (e.g. Gmail) take a VERY long time to appear -- even up to a day! Yet, my Gmail account does not experience the same thing: the message is there, sitting in my inbox, in seconds.

I dunno, Yahoo! has to do something about its servers and speed or else the beta version is going to go downhill - and fast. Even its regular mail's speed needs a boost. No wonder Google is making more money...

Now and then,

the Gibbler

Posted by: the Gibbler at January 14, 2007 03:22 PM

It seems the changes you are making are wrong...it gets worse rather than better...it used to be one of the best,,now I tell everyone it just gets worse, while the others are much better....better check out the situation...new people are not always the answer.....

Posted by: will at January 15, 2007 09:48 AM

It is driving us nuts...seems that yahoo mail hangs on the ad server...takes forever to go back and forth in the account and even to sign out...been going on now for months off and on...using dial-up...and the "new" mail is even worse as I can't seem to find a way to go directly to my inbox from login....grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

Posted by: rc at January 29, 2007 09:58 AM

The new yahoo mail is too much javascript. Tons and tons of javascript. Making it unstable, SLOW and not browser friendly.

On my 56k modem, the ton of javascript was loading in a few minutes for each page load.

There are many if(ie) if(ff) if(other) inside so you can imagine compatibility issues and difficulties to maintain.

With Opera I had many problems.

But the main issue is slowness, it was so slow I switched back to old Yahoo mail (which major issue is NO UNICODE support alas)

Posted by: jesus2099 at January 29, 2007 12:15 PM

Well - its Feb., 2007, and yahoo still hasn't resolved the problem. I think it is the banner ads they are running on the mail pages. I have had my address for over a decade, but this cannot go on. I say, every day, that I am quitting them - maybe tomorrow. I sure wouldn't buy yahoo stock, would you??? GRRRRRRRR

Posted by: KhakiSct at February 6, 2007 10:13 PM

for weeks now, Yahoo mail has caused me to lose so much business. Customers call and when i have to search for their information, it takes 5 minutes to load a single page. Very unhappy! I am a paid member and it's the same for me!.

Posted by: Allen at February 20, 2007 05:18 PM

no its that yahoo has fewer servers its cuz yahoo servers are bein used 2 run crackers.. to crack yahoo rares

Posted by: Chris at February 22, 2007 03:44 PM

I'm having an awful time with my Yahoo account, and I don't remember making any changes! My husband's account is fine, and I'm very frustrated. I'll have to look at both account settings to see if there are differences.

Posted by: Sheila at February 27, 2007 09:45 AM

Yahoo has major problems with it's email. I tried the new Beta, liked the format but way too slow to load therefore switched back. Over past two months have experienced problems with very slow login in regular Yahoo mail, sometimes on weekends it just won't load. I have a DSL connection so problem is with Yahoo's servers. Been with Yahoo almost eight years, but it's time to move on. If you have Yahoo stock my advice is it's time to sell.

Posted by: Paul at March 11, 2007 02:07 PM

For the last 5-6 months my Yahoo has been awful. It takes 20 minutes for "my photos" to load!!!! UGH! And it takes a while to read/delete mail. I have a cable modem (Comcast) (4-6 mbps) and at my job, they have the same (through WOW!)

Now it does run faster at my job, but I also work 3rd shift so maybe the servers are less congested then?? I have tried my msconfig to load just the simple devices, scanned for adware/spyware/viruses NUMEROUS times, cleaned out memory, cleaned out registry numerous times.

I have had my Yahoo account for YEARS and REALLY don't want to give it up. :( But I can't take it anymore!!!! :(

Sincerely,

Saying "Adieu" to Yahoo. :(

Posted by: Heather at April 30, 2007 07:08 PM

Yahoo mail -is so slow - its a complete joke.

Its not my pc or connection- and I have no other problems with any of my other email addresses.

gmail - takes about 4 seconds

hotmail: 10 seconds

yahoo: - it was 3 minutes yesterday - now I can't even even open or compose a message.

Yahoo get this sorted out!!

Posted by: steve at May 14, 2007 06:54 AM

Race, Class, and the Future of Ferguson
LIMITED-TIME OFFER SUBSCRIBE NOW

(enter your email)
(enter up to 5 email addresses, separated by commas)

Max 250 characters