Businessweek Archives

Angry AOL bloggers now push boycotts

? Peter Drucker: Great ideas, ignored. |

Main

| Yahoo's new e-mail: Too slow ?

November 19, 2005

Angry AOL bloggers now push boycotts

Stephen Baker

The anger over banner ads on AOL Journals is reaching a fever pitch. Bloggers are organizing boycotts of advertisers, presumably including Bank of America, whose ad appears on the Journals I've seen today. One even features flash art.View image I'm still not seeing any response from AOL.

Some Journal bloggers, of course, are less bothered by the ads. Here's a very funny post from an AOL blogger who shrinks from the idea of migrating to Google's Blogspot.

eww, I simply refuse to post an entry on something called "blogspot". I think I had a blogspot once...

Update: I originally posted the image as an art element on the post. But on second thought, I didn't think it was right to post ads as art (especially on a post about people rebelling against ads). So I changed it to a pop-up.

12:54 PM

advertising

TrackBack URL for this entry:

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference Angry AOL bloggers now push boycotts:

? Boycott AOL Journals from Un-Common Sense

Not that I pay while "enjoying" 18 free months of service compliments of an AOL "ERROR" (see keyword: SNAFU), but mine is a 'paid' account.

What if I have moral objections against the companies AOL is advertising on my journal?

What if I simpl... [Read More]

Tracked on November 19, 2005 09:04 PM

? Angry AOL bloggers now push boycotts from Don Singleton

AoL Users are usually regarded as clueless, and there is nothing about this that would change that notion. They should realize that TANSTAAFL still applies: There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch [Read More]

Tracked on November 21, 2005 03:03 PM

Sadly, there is no response whatsoever to bloggers concerns. If you go look at the AOL journal editor's blog there is scarce mention of the concerns of customers. Also, the whole system of journals on AOL is completely in a mess. You can't even post without going to IE!!!

Posted by: Omar at November 19, 2005 05:35 PM

Thanks for the consideration on the whole art thing. We've seen enough of Bank of America to last a lifetime.

And thanks most especially for the follow-up. All we're really asking for is to be heard. It really can't come as any big surprise that customer depreciation has just reached its limit of tolerance.

Posted by: Jennifer at November 19, 2005 05:48 PM

I will not patronize any of the businesses listed in these ads ever again. If I wanted seizure inducing images on my blog, I would have put them there myself. AOL does this and then remains incredibly unresponsive.... although the grunts talk about their winning business model. I am not sure what that is.

Posted by: Judith HeartSong at November 19, 2005 05:57 PM

For me the advertisers are not the problem, it is more the eminent domain tactics of AOL when placing the ads on my journal. However, I have met some wonderful people and will gladly participate in a boycott to support them.

Posted by: Stephaine at November 19, 2005 06:02 PM

Thanks Stephen! Would you consider becoming a VP at AOL? Then we would have someone there that listens to us!

Peace, Virginia

(AOL journaler in Exile)

Posted by: Virginia at November 19, 2005 06:05 PM

Dear Steven,

Thank you so VERY MUCH for stopping by my journal and for sharing that link with everyone who reads you. This is SO COOL having someone not only LISTEN but RESPOND as well to our unhappiness & the battle within our Jland community.

I just today wrote my finale entry in Simple yet satisfying and am ready to close it completely. It was a VERY painful entry to write. If you read it, I think you can feel how much My AOL Journal, and Community MEAN to me.

IF ONLY THE AOL EXECS CARED about their customers, and responded in kind, THAT would be the MOST awesome thing to come out of all this.

Thanks again for highlighting my entry.

P.S. your last link where you say "here's a funny post" -- also is linked to my j. you may want to change that cause I'm curious who said that. I can think of a few people with that kind of humor. lol

Sincerely, Anna

Posted by: Anna at November 19, 2005 06:30 PM

That flashart isn't an ad that AOL has made us suffer with, it was a creation by one of our protesters showing that we are making a stand. =)

Posted by: Kell at November 19, 2005 07:13 PM

AWWWWWW I feel honored. I created that image the day that they started putting up those ads and emailed it to all of my aol jland friends to put up on their journals. Gah, you can ask vivian, brian,and everyone else that was on that list...there were a lot...awwww.. :) That made my day. lol. Anyways, thanks for the follow up.

Posted by: Felicia at November 19, 2005 07:36 PM

My Comments never show up on these entries you do. :( I hope this one does. I just wanted to say that I feel honored for you to show the image I made last tuesday. I had just emailed it to a group of aol jlanders and never actually thought it would go further than their journals. :)

Felicia

P.S. Thanks for the followup

Posted by: Felicia Walls at November 19, 2005 07:58 PM

It's the whole glib reactions of both the editor and the "paid" writer there that kill me. The no response from AOL, well I expect that. Why should they respond, all the see and hear are dollar signs and the cha ching of the virtual register.

Posted by: Brandy at November 20, 2005 02:01 PM

A journal... a word, a thought, a sentiment, a creation. Journalers are writers, and writers are creators. We write on blank screens, or paper, just as a painter paints on a blank white canvas. What once held an infinite amount of ideas, has been tainted by indelible corporate greed. How is creativity to exist in such an atmosphere?

I'm all for progress, but not at the expense of customer service and good business practices. And where's AOL's communication in all this? They threw us, the paying customers, under the proverbial bus.

Thank you for following up on this issue.

Judith

jtuwliens@aol.com

Posted by: Judith at November 21, 2005 04:53 PM

I don't really enjoy AOL and their corporate sponsors making money off of my life. Or the death of my friends. Or the joys I have found in the arms of a boyfriend. It's not polite to highjack my life and put it up for commercial gain without, in the very least, compensating me. Add in the fact that I PAY the AOL Overlords for my service and journal makes it even more sickening. I am staying with the AOL Overlords but, my journal will remain private. Only invited guests will be able to read my journal on AOL.

Posted by: Mortimer at November 21, 2005 04:58 PM

Although I would not officially consider myself a boycotter, I have temporarily moved Dancing in the Rain to AOL International Journals, there are no ads there yet.

I've also blocked the animated ads, (AOL does offer that option with it's software but the JPEGs still show up). The banners are still there, but at least we don't have to look at them. Who would have thought that the dreaded red x in a box would now become such a welcome sight as we make our rounds through J-land.

Now that there is virtually no significant difference in journaling or E-mailing through a paid AOL account, than there is through an unpaid account (AIM) it makes you wonder why any of us would choose to continue paying for something that we can get for free.

Obviously the few bucks that AOL gets from it's members each month must be nothing compared to what they can get for plastering those very discusting distracting nuisance ads all over everything including our journals.

*** Coy ***

Posted by: Coy at November 21, 2005 07:02 PM

I have never used the AOL journal software but was irked to find 2 new "buddies" in my AIM Buddy List: FoneBuddy and ShoppingBuddy. How annoying is that?

I couldn't delete them so I blocked them. Ha ha. Take that. Like when I mark the annoying Hotmail Staff emails as "junk."

I am on Blogspot, so if an AOL Journal user has some doubts, try it first! I love Google and GMail and Google Earth and Blogspot has yet to disappoint.

Joel

Posted by: Joel at November 23, 2005 12:58 AM

hi

Posted by: ephedra at June 30, 2006 04:05 PM

I hate these banners ... any way to avoid them?

Posted by: rudi at August 17, 2006 08:02 PM

Burger King's Young Buns
LIMITED-TIME OFFER SUBSCRIBE NOW

(enter your email)
(enter up to 5 email addresses, separated by commas)

Max 250 characters