Businessweek Archives

We Got Buttons

? Thank God for Gmail... But I avoid it |

Main

| Podcast Interviews: When It Rains, etc. ?

October 27, 2005

We Got Buttons

Heather Green

RSS buttons that is. BW may move slowly sometimes, but it does move. And so if you check out the bottom of our page, you will see an exciting lineup of RSS subscribe buttons on Blogspotting. It's a wide variety, but if there are any we should add, let us know!

- My AOL

- Bloglines

- Feedster

- Google Reader

- My MSN

- NewsGator

- My Yahoo

02:25 PM

RSS

TrackBack URL for this entry:

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference We Got Buttons:

? BusinessWeek are you listening? from LexBlog Blog

Heather Green, a department editor for Business Week and one of the publishers of BusinessWeek's Blogspotting blog posted that they have added a list of RSS subscribe buttons for various blog search engines/aggregators such as MyAOL, Bloglines, NewsGat... [Read More]

Tracked on October 27, 2005 09:49 PM

Here's me sticking my neck out. Don't you find buttons are more clutter than they're good? I mean, why bother with all the buttons when most decent aggregators (I use Bloglines) and some browsers (if you haven't migrated to FireFox by now you're beyond help) auto-detect feeds?

I think less is more. I am on a quest to purge my site of geeky ugliness. If blogs are going to be regarded as mainstream media, maybe bloggers should put effort into making them look more inviting.

But that's just me...

Buttons, blogrolls, acronyms. Sheesh.

Posted by: Mike Stopforth at October 27, 2005 04:29 PM

Mike, you're kidding, we're in and now we're out? Must contemplate this.

Posted by: Heather Green at October 27, 2005 07:10 PM

"Less is more" is a bit of a pretty tired phrase by now.

Don't get me wrong, I'm BIG fan of Seth Godin, but y'know, one size doesn't fit all.

This blog, as a branch/extension of a magazine, is visited by people that isn't the regular blog audience. They need MORE, so the effort to connect with this 'kinda new thing' is less.

My 0.02

Posted by: Andres B at October 27, 2005 11:49 PM

In my book, you are still most definitely IN. Your post just got me thinking (again) about the usability of buttons and other wonderful tech toys in blogs.

Especially when (or if) you consider blogs a mainstream medium.

Posted by: Mike Stopforth at October 28, 2005 02:14 AM

Since you're all about reporting, I'm curious how many people per day actually click on those buttons, considering that if you already have an account, you usually have your own button plugin (like the Bloglines button)with the browser. If so, wouldn't those buttons just be wasting valuable space?

Posted by: Neil at October 28, 2005 05:08 PM

Hello Neil,

So, since these are brand new, my answer is no idea just yet. But it's a great question to look into after a little time. Thanks for raising the issue.

Posted by: Heather Green at October 28, 2005 05:38 PM

buttons galore. i've been thinking of trying this:

might help get rid of some clutter.

Posted by: branden at October 29, 2005 07:14 PM

American Apparel's Future
LIMITED-TIME OFFER SUBSCRIBE NOW

(enter your email)
(enter up to 5 email addresses, separated by commas)

Max 250 characters