Businessweek Archives

Is it true that blogs on WordPress escape spam comments?

? Bacon's updates media guide with blog info |

Main

| Thank God for Gmail... But I avoid it ?

October 27, 2005

Is it true that blogs on WordPress escape spam comments?

Stephen Baker

Has anyone tried Akismet, the spam-blocker? In an interview, Matt Mullenweg, founding developer of WordPress, credits it with eliminating comment spam among users. But he warns that if Google figures out how to purge the sploggers from its Blogger service, many are likely to migrate to WordPress.

Well the same thing that makes us attractive to normal people -- it's easy to setup, very scalable, easy to use -- also make WordPress attractive to less savory parts of the blogosphere. If there was something I could do make it harder for them without hurting our normal users, I would.

07:31 AM

spam and other abuses

TrackBack URL for this entry:

Yep, I've tried it, I was one of the testers so I've been using it for over a month.

The spam that arrives at my website is still the same, but the amount that I have to manually remove has dropped.

I've written more about the testing here.

Posted by: Rich Boakes at October 27, 2005 09:19 AM

Isn't the big attraction for sploggers the fact that blogspot.com is a domain that's not likely to get blacklisted? (Not to mention, free?) Sploggers using Wordpress would have to get hosted somewhere, and the few ISPs that would tolerate such behavior would likely lose their legitimate customers pretty quickly.

Posted by: Joe Taylor Jr. at October 27, 2005 09:47 AM

Don't know about Wordpress but I use Expression Engine and don't have a problem. Doesn't mean one can't but there are a lot of built-in defenses.

Posted by: PXLated at October 27, 2005 09:53 AM

We run three WordPress blogs (one hosted at WordPress.com), and haven't had a spam issue to date.

I also run a personal blogspot account and the word verification feature (recently added to combat comment spam) works like a charm.

Posted by: Mike Stopforth at October 27, 2005 04:12 PM

I'd be happy to send you an invite so you can try out WordPress.com, and enjoy the silence of the spams.

Posted by: Matt at October 27, 2005 08:58 PM

I got involved with Akismet because it does have the potential to pretty much eliminate comment spam for good. At least for those who use it.

Posted by: IO ERROR at October 29, 2005 02:12 PM

I've been using Akismet for a while - works really nice.

Posted by: phone verification man at August 11, 2006 09:33 AM

antispamplugins here http://codex.wordpress.org/Plugins/Spam_Tools

Posted by: Linktausch at August 14, 2006 04:58 PM

Race, Class, and the Future of Ferguson
LIMITED-TIME OFFER SUBSCRIBE NOW

(enter your email)
(enter up to 5 email addresses, separated by commas)

Max 250 characters