Businessweek Archives

Bacon's updates media guide with blog info

? Edelman shows Wal-Mart the power of blogs |

Main

| Is it true that blogs on WordPress escape spam comments? ?

October 26, 2005

Bacon's updates media guide with blog info

Stephen Baker

For anyone who still doubts that bloggers will increasingly be targeted for PR campaigns, consider this e-mail I just got from Bacon's. Note: No mention of BusinessWeek.

Dear Mr. Stephen Baker

Blogspotting

I am writing from Bacon's Information, a national source of media information for corporations and public relations professionals. We are asking for your help in updating our blog database by completing the following survey. This information will assist us in updating your FREE listing in Bacon's online media databases and print directories. Feel free to also include any contact preferences you have, including what types of information you would or would not like to receive from public relations professionals. You may reply to this e-mail, fax your updated information to 800-922-2477 or contact us at any time at blogs@bacons.com. Please contact me with questions or comments.

02:47 PM

marketing

TrackBack URL for this entry:

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference Bacon's updates media guide with blog info:

? PR Industry Still Slow to Adapt to the Blog World from Micro Persuasion

I am clearing out my Gmail box and uncovered a few sure signs that the PR industry is slow to learn the ways of the blogosphere. Let's start tonight with this pitch. It comes from a top PR firm and [Read More]

Tracked on October 26, 2005 09:50 PM

? Blogging going more mainstream from Mike's Points

Bacon's MediaSource is taking bloggers seriously. Reecently, it sent its informational survey to bloggers -- though I didn't get one :( -- seeking profile information on them for its database (which my company uses). As BusinessWeek's Stephen Baker poi... [Read More]

Tracked on October 27, 2005 08:04 AM

? Bacon's reaching out to bloggers from Open The Dialogue

Stephen Baker is talking about an email that's floating around this week from the folks at Bacon's Information, asking for some contact information clarification and interests for use in a directory that the company distributes. Baker is looking at it... [Read More]

Tracked on October 27, 2005 11:56 AM

Yep, I just got the same thing... and I run a PR firm. Karma.

Posted by: scott at October 26, 2005 03:16 PM

As good as Bacon's is when it comes to maintaining a database of mainstream media, I am concerned about the inevitable backlash that will result when PR pros en masse "pitch" their clients' goods and services to citizen journalists.

The rules for journalist engagement in the blogosphere are different, something PR practitioners will painfully learn soon after sending their first blast e-mail to Bacon's new database of bloggers.

Posted by: Peter Himler at October 26, 2005 07:13 PM

I'm not too sure I agree with Peter Himler's comment. While yes, some in PR will screw up pitches to bloggers, just as they do with other media. Guess that's where the term "flack" comes in.

But, when "pitching" bloggers -- the same you would any media outlet -- know your audience. Know the style and topics, know the audience, get a name. Make it personal. Though I have done it on a few projects, I don't mass-blast important or targeted news or product/client pitches.

So, yes, some in PR will look like fools. But most(?) will do their jobs right, and pitch bloggers one-on-one, with mostly customed pitches.

-- Mike

Posted by: MikeDriehorst at October 27, 2005 07:39 AM

I got it too, and maybe it's because I'm in PR myself, I get a bit worried about being on the recieving end of a bunch of pitches. I'm based in Sweden and don't see what's in it for me? Even though I'm blogging from an international perspective, why would I want to be in Bacon's database?

I get loads of email already through my blog and the only good stuff comes via people I have some relation to. If I would get something via a Bacon's pitch I would know that (most likely) I'm one of a hundred to get the same email and then it's not interesting.

Posted by: Hans Kullin at October 27, 2005 12:32 PM

Mike,

I pray, for the sake of our already much-maligned industry, that you are right in saying that most practitioners will abide by the rules of the road before endeavoring to spam the blogosphere.

Still, maybe Bacon's should consider including an etiquette section (or links to the best thinking on rules of engagement) as part of its blogger database?

Posted by: Peter Himler at October 27, 2005 02:57 PM

I too received that spam blast. Mine was much more personalized it read "Dear Ms. Evelyn Rodriguez Crossroads Dispatches". So much for conversation ;-)

Since I already get enough PR pitches so why on earth would I willingly add my name to Bacon's database?

Posted by: Evelyn Rodriguez at October 27, 2005 06:31 PM

Peter: Etiquette? What a concept! And, definitely a good one. Since most bloggers are individuals and, even more passionate about their topics than traditional news reporters are about their topics, a better sense of civility and etiquette is needed in contacting bloggers. Excellent suggestion.

Will it be heeded by Bacon's and other media directory companies ? Probably not.

Mike

Posted by: Mike Driehorst at October 28, 2005 09:25 AM

I got a phone call. Ha!

Media Map has included bloggers for 2 years.

Blogged about finding myself there in 2003 here: http://allied.blogspot.com/2003/09/funny-thing-happened-on-way-back-to.html

enjoy!