Businessweek Archives

Ipod Video Vs the Nano--Too Much Apple?

Apple's nano can be scratched--and wash and dried. |

Main

| MOMA SAFE design exhibit is brilliant.

October 13, 2005

Ipod Video Vs the Nano--Too Much Apple?

Bruce Nussbaum

The new iPod Video is clearly the start of a media revolution that will drive established film and TV companies into a frenzy while making consumers who want what they want when they want it very happy. It's all about media disaggregation and personal mobility. Apple's deal with Disney will break the dam of media distribution. TV affiliates and movie theatre companies should be very scared. Apple is partnering well with the content kings--first music, now film.

But I wonder if all the millions of customers who bought Nano iPods in the past few weeks are all that happy. Jeff Jarvis points out that there are those in his family who would have waited for the video iPod had they known it was coming out. I suspect there may be tens of thousands of people--or more--who feel the same way. Now, there are plenty of reasons to still buy a Nano--once you pick it up, you want it. But releasing the Nano and the video iPods so closely together may overload the Apple brand. Did the deal with Disney come through sooner than unexpectedly? I don't know

I never thought it possible, but can you design and create too much good stuff in too short a time? Unfortunately, this is not a problem for the vast majority of companies in the world. Only Apple and maybe three or four other design-focussed companies--and their customers--have to deal with that conundrum.

01:14 PM

apple design

TrackBack URL for this entry:

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference Ipod Video Vs the Nano--Too Much Apple?:

Will Apple Bring Down Movie Sales With iPod Video? from Articles - jburnett's weBLog - JRB Technology

With all the hardware and software so readily available, yeah, it could happen.With DVD Ripper and burning tools readily available, ripping movies to your iPod is a cinch. Some people think that movie sales will drop because people will be swapping mov... [Read More]

Tracked on October 13, 2005 03:40 PM

Bruce, first of all: Thanks for sharing your insights with us here on this platform. Your contributions are highly appreciated!

I somehow agree with you (being the owner of a nano now for two weeks ;-) On the other hand the price difference to the iPod Video is still there, so it's not a too drastic trade-off question.

While you ask for other examples for too much good stuff in too short time, I see increasing tendencies in the automobile industry suffering from this phenomenon as well. Take Volkswagen for example: In the past their bestseller the Golf 8and the other models as well) ran for some 6-8 years with slight facelifts. At the same time japanese cars e.g. the Toyota Corolla has experienced almost 1 new generation and several facelifts. The multitude of Corollas has always confused me.

So how long did the last design of the 7-series BMW last and how long will BMW be able to keep the current release frequencey of new models?

A good friend recently said: I don't know where BMW is currently heading for. With their actual car/fleet design lanaguage there is only one evolutionary choice left: The Batmobile! ;-)

Cheers, Ralf.

Posted by: Ralf Beuker at October 13, 2005 09:01 PM

I have to say I am one of the thousands who are ticked off. I bought my wife the 4Gig black Nano the day after it was announced Sept 11th. I would have definitely have waited if I'd known this was coming.

For only $50 more? It's a no brainer, despite how beautiful the Nano is.

Of course they announce the video iPod 32 days after releasing the Nano thereby stopping any returns to the Applestore for any early adopters.

Apple, I for one am annoyed!!

Posted by: Robert McCulloch at October 13, 2005 09:15 PM

You can't get too mad. I'm not even an iPod fan, and I'd heard about the iPod video coming out. I have to say that it's a good business idea, because people are going to pirate video more and more just like they did with music. You have to ride the curve when geeks have been copying DVDs for years.

btw, there's a typo error in the first link: "new iPod Video"

Posted by: Stephen James at October 14, 2005 07:21 AM

Your point seems to be that consumers would hesitate to buy if they always think that "something better" is just around the corner. This expectation afflicts not only Apple but all firms that frequently innovate in technology and design. It is one of the reasons that I always recommend to friends and clients that they plan high technology purchases in terms of a two to three year product lifespan: go ahead and buy the newest thing, with the expectation that in 2-3 years it will be 3-4 generations old and you may want to replace it. (This sounds like fashion, and in many respects it is). I currently use a third-generation iPod that I purchased two years ago, and I'm just now getting the visceral sense that it is time to trade it in for new features such as smaller size, color screen, etc. This, despite the fact that it works fine.

But I wouldn't be as concerned that releasing the Video iPod will "overload" the brand or create much consumer resentment among Nano purchasers (although, of course, there will be some exceptions.)

The Nano and the video ipod are different in more ways than just their video playback capability ... most notably, the vast difference in size: the Video iPod is more than twice the size and weight of the Nano. These two products have overlapping yet distinguishable targets.

The Nano can easily be worn on an armband, for example, making it ideal for use at the gym ... and that's where I've always seen more iPods than anywhere else. The new video iPod is more likely to be used by transit commuters, frequent fliers and the like who want to carry their full music collection and, perhaps, view a download of a video segment while they have time to kill.

I believe that, depending on how they plan to use it, you'll see consumers opt for one model, or the other, or _both_. But I don't think that, for example, those who want to listen to music while jogging would prefer the video iPod to the Nano.

I also expect that there's more to come with regard to video content and delivery mechanisms from Apple in the coming months. This video iPod, like the Rokr, strikes me very much as "testing the waters." Don't be surprised to see a video version of the Airport Express, enabling high-quality wireless transmission of video from a computer to a home entertainment center, and a Smartphone with a much larger screen, Apple's Inkwell handwriting recognition, and the ability to run OS-X, including, of course, Quicktime. More than just an entertainment device, this would be a "Mac Nano" for business travelers, students and other mobile users.

Posted by: Ron Rosell at October 14, 2005 05:15 PM

I think I disagree with Bruce this time, and with some of the above posts - here's why...

1) As a marketer I would not sit on an innovation such as the video ipod when there is such a large potential 'first mover' advantage to be be gained in the market.

2) I would suspect that many Nano buyers are onto their 2nd generation of digital music players, the Nano is an upgrade to their current system, or bought for someone in the family. They're not early adopters, they're loyal buyers.

3) True 'early adopters' will buy the video ipod even if they recently bought a Nano, constrained only by their budgets. Maybe some will have to delay the purchase, but the purchase will get made.

4) With the Shuffle, Mini, Rokr, Nano, and Video all coming out in a row Apple has cemented their position in the minds of many as THE innovator in personal entertainment systems of the time.

I would suspect that last one is worth far more than any lost sales to 'ticked off' Nano buyers.

Posted by: pat at October 14, 2005 08:51 PM

I don't think so. Nano and Ipod video are for two different purpose. I own all ipods--Ipod, mini and shuffle. As for Nano, I will be using it when I am out running in the woods and trails. As for Ipod video, it will be for my living room. And Mini? I use it for my car.

Posted by: David Chen at October 14, 2005 11:09 PM

There is the problem. Not everyone has the money nor resources to have a different iPod for each purpose. I and [I assume] the general population of people who bought or want to buy a digital music player want one that fulfills the best value for their money.

I have always seen and heard the iPod [you would have to have been under a rock for the past 4 years to not have] and I was attracted to buying one after seeing the nano--and believing that it was the best that apple could do. Now I am grief stricken with the decision of either the Nano or the iPod Video.

I am one who loves size and functionality over bulky players that offer 24235653464GB of space. So I figured the Nano was great for my 700 music collection. Not to say that having all your music in the palm of your hand isn't great. But now with the video iPod I have a few concerns.

1) Full videos are not on sale. And it seems the only way to put videos on the iPod would be to convert it to a certain resolution. Otherwise you have to pay $2.00 for each video correct?

2) It seems awfully early and quite sudden to unveil a video iPod. Is there not likely to be bugs or corrections? Would one regret buying something this early?

3) I also heard--that even Apple said this themselves--that the battery life while playing video is only 2 hours on the 30GB model. So this rules out long motion pictures?

My main decision is about whether to go with the size and functionality of a flash based player like the Nano, or the bigger yet slimmer iPod that plays video along with it's main purpose of music. I cannot afford or would want to have to switch between two different iPods for a different purpose. I want an iPod that fulfills my needs all in one; a best of both worlds.

Posted by: Kevin Tucker at October 16, 2005 11:56 PM

I personally follow the same philosophy as you do Kevin, I too have 400 dollars and do not know where to spend it. Nano or Video?

i do not wish to pass a dogma, however, the nano seems to be bringing in a lot of criticism. Especially the issue of it's excessively breaking screen. Is it too fragile to handle?

Now on the other hand the Video doesn't seem to be bringing any of those concerns, but what would be the point of watching video for two hours and then not being able to use your ipod for music the rest of the day? This would be absurd.

I personally would go for the Nano, where I would be able to listen to music for a longer time, rather than the unrealistic fantasy of watching my favourite shows on the train to work. Besides, Apple has said it has fixed the breaking screen problem, so fingers crossed, everythign should be fine, just buy extra warranty!

Posted by: Osamah Saeed at November 8, 2005 09:57 PM

I have purchased an ipod video, quickly i have realised there are a few problems, the very fact that it is a video ipod is redundant unless you want to spend another $30 buying quicktime pro. also the battery life since i have owned it has seemed to be losing power very fast, it is the first ipod i have owned and overall i am happy but its these little trick like the extra cash to put video's on your video ipod that gets me about a big company like apple, surely we should get it on a cd when buying such an expensive piece of electrical equipment.

Posted by: Christopher Cook at November 13, 2005 08:49 AM

the Video is not a very great product because you can see the click wheel

Posted by: gadgetgeek at November 16, 2005 02:36 AM

HIIIII

Posted by: guitargeek at November 16, 2005 02:38 AM

i my self have a ipod mini which i bought about 6 months ago. The problem with my mini (and i suspect with the video) is that they both run on harddrives. My minis harddrive has not been reliable lately. Its been erasing my songs, skiping, restarting and draining the battery. i did some research on it and found out that the harddrives in the ipods can sustain long-term damage from simple things as riding a bumpy bus ride. for this i believe that the nanos flashdrive is a better buy than the video with its harddrive. Now i personaly think that the video is a really cool device, but i'd wait for it to come out with flash memory first. but until then, i believe that the Nano is a better buy than the Video.

Posted by: daniel at November 20, 2005 05:48 AM

wow, i read all of this hoping it would clarify me on which ipod is a better buy: Nano or Video. but it just has confused me more. i have heard the nano scratches very easily but the batter life on the video sucks. so its a toss up, i love the compact nano but the. Idea of watching a video in your palm is pretty neat too. what is the general consensus of the two?

Posted by: Jordan at November 24, 2005 04:35 AM

I viewed the original Ipod as a lure to convert PC users to Mac. They could appreciate the classic "function follows form" philosophy of Mac and get turned on to the simplicity of the iTunes software. Not to mention that they would be likely to purchase their Ipod from an Apple store, where they would be further immersed in the brand.

It seems now that Apple has really found a great revenue producer as well, and the key to keeping the public interested which is their constant and dedicated innovation. I think the launch of the video Ipod really shows that Apple believes in the Ipod franchise alone. What was originally intended as a gateway product has become a pop culture phenomenon.

As a Mac owner, I am pleased to see the interest in Apple as a brand. I'm curious to see how this all plays out from a business strategy and marketing viewpoint. The introduction of the iPod definitely postponed the Mac of going the way of the BetaMax. I hope that Apple can stay true to it's roots and not become Sony. You've got to believe that Jobs has a strategic vision.

So, basically, the real story here isn't whether you should buy the Nano or the Video. They both serve different purposes. And, you've got to be a moron not to see the pattern that has developed over the past 3 years, with a new and improved Ipod hitting the market every 6-8 months. By buying now you will get the "lates and greatest" but you've got to understand that in 6 months, Jobs will drop another techno-pop bomb on the world. (Perhaps a Mini-IBook is on the way)

Posted by: sharkpod at November 28, 2005 06:35 PM

im still not sure wether to get the nano or video, because i like the size of the nano but its nice to know that you can put videos onto the ipod im just not sure id use it, so im in a bit of a dilema, i need some convincing really, can any one help?

Posted by: stephen at December 8, 2005 05:49 PM

so who won ..Ipod nano or IPod Video

lets vote or something ,,,

Posted by: bigBellGeek at December 13, 2005 09:07 PM

I have read all of these comments to date and have to say that it really comes down to application. The Nano is the "diskman" replacement and the Video is the "laptop DVD player" replacement. There are several things that they both do, but if you are going to work out or just listen to music and/or look at pictures, it seems that the Nano is the way to go. I just wish it had a little more memory as I have about 4500 songs (marriage does wonders for CD collections! :) ). The person who NEEDS a video should be looking for large storage and be a traveller, i.e. plane, train, etc. Other than that, I think that the 50 bucks for more size, a weaker bettery life, a skippable harddrive, heavier unit and larger unit is not justification to make the jump.

Comments?

Posted by: Andy at December 16, 2005 04:16 AM

Wow - great comments. Here's my vote: Buy the i-pod video for all its great functions - but get a cheap MP3 player for your morning, afternoon or evening runs - that way - you get the best of both worlds :)

Posted by: Carolyn at December 26, 2005 03:28 AM

I just got one of the video ones for christmas. I'm somewhat miffed that the guy in the shop lied about it being a flash drive, which i'm not happy about, but overall i'm disappointed - it really does have crap battery life, i will never have any real need for the video facility (is there one other than just to show your mates a cool clip occasionaly? Not a necessity.) and so far i don't know how i would even acquire convenient, let alone 'necessary' clips.........

I haven't had problems with skipping but i'm sure that will come later.

I noticed it took ages to download the last couple of hundred songs from my computer - would you have that problem with a flash drive? I wouldn't expect so.......... Not that i've ever had a nano but from the posts here and my own experience with the video (30GB) i'd go for the nano if it were down to me

........... not that i'm not grateful..... it was a present after all!

Posted by: Alex at December 26, 2005 06:22 AM

I am happily contented with my Ipod Nano. I was contemplating for the longest time whether to buy the Nano or the Video, but the Nano won in the end because my needs are purely for music. As my brother puts it, why buy the Video when you have the PSP and a myriad of UMD videos around? It's also cool that my Ipod matches my black PSP :P

Posted by: Joanna at December 27, 2005 12:54 AM

I agree with Mr. Chen and bigBellGeek. I'm an "first mover" of the iPod. Been watching it for a couple of years, while living with my current SanDisk 512 MB player. The Video has me teetering between the Nano and itself. However, in addition to these guys, my question is this, do I want to drop $50 more on a "1st Gen option", knowing that Apple will more than likely come out with a widescreen by next year. Having to compress the letterbox format with bars on the sides will make the video even smaller to view. I've been stalling and stalling because every time a new iPod comes out, because I know I'd have regretted my initial purchase. I don't have $300 to throw at every new device that comes out on the market.

Posted by: Jonathan at December 27, 2005 05:25 PM

I have to say that after reading this...I am confused. I recently received the Video but didn't open it until I knew exactly what I was getting into. I think it's true that Apple will come out with other versions of the Video and more complications with getting media will come about too, so that's a win-lose situation. Although it's awesome to have videos in the palm of your hand, have tons of space, and the ability to use voice recording and remotes, it's not so awesome to have the battery die quicker, the hard drive mess up, and having hard times getting full media content you want. Then with the Nano, it's thinner, stores everything in flash memory...which is more durable than hard drives which are easily damaged by dropping or bumpy rides, but it can hold only up to 1000 songs and you can't have the cool features available such as remotes and voice recording.

So both, even out...the Video has 3+'s & 3-'s and the Nano has 2+'s and 2-'s. So which is the better deal? Well, I personally have to say the 4GB Nano is probably the way to go...at least for now. When the Beta version of the Video is through and they have better quality and features available...that will officially be the best iPod ever and then it will be an easy decision...but for now...the Nano is probably your safest bet.

Posted by: Heather at December 30, 2005 01:31 PM

The weak battery life and harddrive was what really made me buy the nano instead of the iPod video

Posted by: Paul at January 3, 2006 01:03 AM

First of all theres a much faster and cheaper way of downloading videos and music other than the ipod music store. You've spent all that money on the new ipod, don't bother buying that stuff, any p2p file sharing program lets you do this all for free. The battery life on my 30gb video ipod seems fine and its suppose to be longer than the nano. I've been running around with my ipod video and there is no song skipping. But i must warn you video does dry up your battery life quite alot but theres more pros for this thing than cons! and the 30gb video ipod for only (GB £40) more than the 4gb ipod nano, this is a great buy and there really isn't much point buying the 60GB as this is far too much space unless your totally mad on music because suprisingly, 30 GB is plenty! My mate got a nano for christmas and i find the screen too small about 1/4 the size of the video's screen is far too small for my eyes to stare at! One pro about this product is that it is actually good to slide in a pocket!, the video ipod takes abit more effort to slide into things especially that leather protection case that came in the box with it. i hate seeing this product being criticised because this product is new of its kind and size wise compared to the previous ipods, it has lost weight and looks much thinner. At the end of the day, both the video and the nano have simular problems but overall the video ipod wins this topic by far!

Posted by: Adam at January 6, 2006 11:13 PM

I have to say that the whole Ipod buzz is a bif Ifraud! My 2yearold Ipod's battery lasts not even 40minutes!! hmmm

paid $500 for a piece of junk that can't be used...

There will be a lot of pissed off Mini/Video Pod users in a hmmm....12month when they find out that they can't use their beloved Ijunk for more then 30min...

Posted by: Zoe at January 7, 2006 05:03 AM

I have the money for either the Nano or the Video iPod and am thinking about which to get...after reading all the comments I have alot of doubts about the battery life on the Video one, though I would guess that this is only with playing videos and that playing songs has more battery life than the Nano.

The thing is, is that playing the music on it is fine, but if you want to watch a video, i suggest it be useful to stay indoors and buy a mains charger and hope theres a plug socket near by you can use so you can watch them then without it running out.

Obviously it should be ok for the odd clip your watching or showing to your friends thats like 1-5 mins long, but the 30GB only holds 75 hours of video (so i read) which is just about one whole film, and getting a movie appears to require a file format converter and resolution changer, which could cost money.

I tried out my friends iPod video and she said the battery life was'nt that good compared to her Nano, (but thats expected becuase she plays the videos) but she said it was fully charged over night, and she played music from 7am till 12pm as well as looking through some pictures and playing a total of 20mins worth of video and the battery was just more than half way down, which is what, 5 hours? Seems okay but it all depends how long you have the video on for. Which is why I would have a charger near. I for one am not going to put films on it, just music videos from i-tunes.

The answer to the quesion VIDEO or NANO is quite simple:

i) Buy a iPod nano if you want an mp3 player that is small, light, thin and can store pictures (takes battery up when browsing them)and is in colour etc...

or

ii) Buy the new video iPod, and have more music to store, store photos, have a slightly bigger size ipod in width but still thin and light-weight, have videos of a 'near perfect' quality depending on the video you have but from what i've seen it is amazing.

The wall charger does not come with the video ipod so i highly suggest buying one from ebay or somewhere for around £10.

The iPod video isnt as bad as it seems from some reviews here, yes the battery for videos is short but without paying for the 60GB, its all you wil get i'm afraid.

And as for Apple bringing another ipod out soon, i cant think of any features that can add that will make it better than this video one. Maybe minor things like extras but the Ipod video has Music, Video, Images, all you could want in the palm of your hand really....besides games but thats what a PSP is for!

......at the end of the day it is upto you.

[Nano] = Holds up to 1,000 songs and full-color album art, Up to 14 hours of battery life, Holds up to 12,500 photos

[Video] = Holds up to 7,500 songs and full-color album art, Up to 14 hours of music playback, Holds up to 75 hours of video, Holds up to 12,500 photos, Up to 2 hours of video playback

---

The real question is do you want to spend about £80 more than the nano and be able to play video for atleast 2 hours?

Posted by: Gaz at January 11, 2006 10:16 PM

As confused as anyone by now.

I think for the extra 50$ American it seems that it is just well worth it for the 30G Vid. However, I just love that I can get such a large amount of music for my car that I never had before that does not weigh me down and hangs on my key chain! In addition; by using the Nano as a pre-amp on my stereo systems it sure gives my music the extree punch that sounds just great.

On a side note: I have never liked how digital robs the tonality of acoustic instruments and I have been thinking about using Analog to Digital for my new musical purchases instead of copying from Cd's. Does anyone have suggestions for this?

Cheers,

Dave

Posted by: SoCal at February 21, 2006 07:29 PM

hi all, for those who have scratched ipod videos or nanos, one of the best ways to remove the scratches is by putting some brasso on a fine cloth and wiping over the ipod in a circular motion where the scratches are for about 5 minutes. Then get a fine dry cloth and wipe the smears off and then you basically have a brand new looking ipod. I would say using this technique there is no debate on what colour ipod you get (black or white) as they both look as good as eachother. When you hear people say the black one scratches more than the white, what they really mean is that they scratch as bad as eachother but black provides more noticable scratches than the white.

Posted by: Adam at February 21, 2006 09:19 PM

This summer i bought a PSP. I was thrilled because it's everything an ipod does but better, plays games, plays movies, plays music....So i thought it was the obvious choice. Well, I never used it. It was bulkey and i didn't like the games available. In the begining i watched a lot of video's on it but eventually, the "awe" kind of faded and i barely used it for music...

I sold it and now i'm looking into IPods. The more a read your reviews, the more i am pulled towards the Nano. It kinda hurts my heart to spend so much on what is basically an mp3 player but i have been, unfortunatly, sucked into the hype and beauty of the product.

Video on an ipod doesn't sound so appealing once you have a PSP. The resolution is better and the screen is way better on a PSP. The battery isn't integrated so if it ever ends up with a 20min life, you can buy a new battery and not replace the machine. To watch videos and listen to music, the psp is a much better deal than the ipod video but simply for music, i think the nano takes the cake.

Posted by: Melissa at March 2, 2006 03:43 PM

I think the ipod video is better than the ipod nano because it holds more songs and u can download shows and watch them on the video but..........i just like the nano more.

Posted by: MIKE at March 8, 2006 04:13 AM

Just wanted to comment to SoCal that his math is a bit off. He stated that the 30GB Video can "only hold 75 hours of video" which was "just about one whole film". I'm not too familiar with the actual truth of the matter, but I know that 75 hours of video is much more like 40 films. Just for clarification's sake.

Posted by: Jason at March 15, 2006 04:10 PM

I purchased the Nano. I have a lot of music and it all does not fit on the Nano, but my primary use for for exercise so the small size is important. I changed my mind and purchased the 30 gig video to be able to get more of my song library on the ipod. There are a few things that I learned:

1) I don't really need to fit my whole library on my ipod, just my favorites.

2) The 30 gig is just too big for exercising. It's okay, but nothing like the Nano.

3) I went online to see what was available for videos and realized that I really won't be downloading tv shows, movies, music videos or movie previews.

4) The Nano feels like its not even there. It's only 1.5 oz and the 30 gig is 4.8 oz; that's over 3 times the size.

What I'm hoping is that they will come out with a 10 gig Nano. Just a little more size would be perfect for me. Once that happens I'll sell my 4 gig Nano of ebay and upgrade.

After having both and in my situation I vote the Nano.

Posted by: Rick at March 25, 2006 12:51 AM

From what I've read it seems that it all depends.

Nano-for Music lovers;

Video- if you want to alternate listening to your songs or watching your fave video in case you get tired of either;

MP3 players- well, if you just want to listen to your choice of songs;

PSP- for playing games, having some songs/pictures/videos(

I for one have just recently known the existence of the many generations Apple offered. I have an ipod Video intended to store the movies/songs I have, and a PSP for games (34MB is just impossible to store movies...and getting a 1GB memory stick would only store about 5 30minute shows). Since I don't have much songs I keep, I just use an MP3 player.

Posted by: Mona at May 20, 2006 04:36 PM

The matter is verry simple .. I live in Uruguay a small southamerican 3rd world country .. so even a 1 gig I-pod is expensive but since I'm aan engeneer I make a rasonable amount of money ... enough to buy to myself some grown up toy's .. well in my opinion the nano is the best way to go ... 4 gb is enough for the everyday use ... the size is unbeatable ... and let's be realistic ... the ipod video has 3 hours of battery time when viewing videos .... 14 just playing music .. and let's all ermember that is a hard drive mp3 player so don't even think on running with one of these because in a year it's most likeley to fail ..... an 30 gb is too much ... if you have acces to a computer once every 2 days you don't need more than 4 gb .. maybe 10 but that's it ..maybe if you get stranded on a desertic island and just have a power outlet 60 gb is ok ... so because of versatyliy .. size .. durability ... the nano win by far ..... I hope this post help's anyone .. for mor info please e-mail me .. I don't mind answering any questions (just forgive my english but here we speak spanish)

Posted by: SAntiago at June 12, 2006 06:00 AM

ok now im having a hard time deciding between ipod nano and video. The obvious advantage of getting a lot more memory for a little amount of money is there. but i want to use the ipod for running. im sure i wont watch that many videos, but i do like to carry a lot of music around.

so my main issue is what will be the long term effects of running daily on the ipod video.

(ps: i intend to keep the ipod for atleast a year, if not more, before replacing it)

Posted by: Umer at June 12, 2006 03:08 PM

well, first i wasnt sure which to get: the nano or the video!! i wasnt really going to excersize with my ipod, and i wasnt sure if i was going to actually watch the movies either.. after reading these comments.. i found that the video isnt as great as i thought it was, and the nano was still the same great nano.. so i found my answer::the nano!!

if you think you are going to watch movies, music vids, movie previews, and stuff.. then i guess the video is rite fer u..

i made a list of cons for the nano and the vid as i read these comments.. sorry if these facts arent correct, but i was just using the comments

here to get my info

VIDEO::

1. more than 3 times the size and more than 2 times the weight of the nano

2. full videos are not on sale?

3. you have to buy the videos too, which takes more money

4. ONLY 2 HRS BATTERY?! (that cancels out watching major motion pictures)

5. the videos arent very good unless you get quicktime pro for $30

6. you can see the click wheel (not sure what the person meant.. but it might be useful to readers (: )

7. they run on harddrives, which can go wrong (skipping, erasing songs, restarting, draining battery life, etc.) harddrives can get longterm damage from simple things such as bumpy bus rides (nano has flashdrive)

8. harddrive makes it harder/longer to download songs

9. wall charger comes seperately with video

NANO::

1. scratces easily (you can buy things that can prevent or maybe even remove the scratches)

2. loses its shinyness after a while(there are products such as iGlaze that can help)

3. less memory than the video (1-4GB) personally, i dont think im going to use more than that.. as im going to erase the songs as they get old

4. well.... it doesnt have video!! (:

5. the screen breaks easily, but apple says they fixed the breaking-screen problem

6. no remotes and voice recording

my choice is nano, but vid can be good for people who can deal with the problems, and they reeeeeeeeeally think the video is cool (:

Posted by: bekka at June 12, 2006 05:51 PM

Apple just needs to make an ipod thats a compromise btw the video and the nano. like a in between sized 10gb, flash, video, long battery, remote, voice recording ipod. Its so hard to wait for them, because I want to buy an ipod soon. I like both, but they both have their pros and cons.

Posted by: Owen at June 17, 2006 09:05 PM

ipod video really sucks but the nano is way better!

Posted by: monkeybutt at July 10, 2006 07:30 AM

I own a black nano and ever since it came out i thought it was the best. But then the video came out and screwed everything up. Back then i wanted a video so bad, but after reading so many reviews and hearing about the battery life problem, im not so sure. The nano is alright..yeah the size is cool...but i really want to be able to put video onto an iPod and carry it around in my hand. I also own a PSP, but it's almost impossible to find a website that you can download video onto it for under 2 bucks (like iTunes). I don't know if i should wait and see what Apple comes out with next (maybe it will be an iPod video with extra battery life), or just buy the 30gb now.

Posted by: Eric Cartman at July 10, 2006 07:20 PM

I don't get why everybody is saying that the nano is for music-lovers. The video works just as well to put music on than the nano. The video even holds more than the nano. They're both for people who love listening to music, but one's also for people who want to watch videos. So what? Buy what you feel like buying. The only better factor about the nano for music-lovers is that it is extremely small in size. Who cares? The video can fit into your pocket too, and you can even watch a show or two while bored. Listen, it all concludes to what you like more, but they both are for people who want tons of music.

Posted by: GreenbayPacker at July 10, 2006 08:48 PM

After all that's posted.. I'm still confused. But whichever I choose, I would still have what I want - Music - the main reason I want to buy one. :)

Posted by: Jelo Oda at August 3, 2006 08:32 AM

i just recently purchased an ipod nano,

it lasted 6 days until teh screen cracked,

i returned it and got a creative zen but i do not liek it,

i am now looking into buiying another nano or a video,

Which one is better?

im kinda aiming towards teh video,

is that a good decision

Posted by: nick at August 5, 2006 03:29 AM

OK WELL I THINK THAT ITS DISGUSTING THAT APPLE IS DONING THIS TO US!!! ME MYSLEF HAVE WANTED A IPOD FOR A LONL LONG TIME AND I WANTED A VIDEO THEN I WANTED A NANO THEN I WANTED A VIDEO. JUST LIKE MOST I CANT FIGURE OUT WHICH ONE TO GET!!1 YEAH THE VIDEO IPODS MEMORY SUCKS BADLY BUT I HAVE A PSP, (DOESN'T THAT COUNT 4 SOMETHING?????). I BEEN SEARCHING THE WEB 4 WEEKS TRYING TO DECIDE WHICH IS BETTER AND TO TELL YOU THE TRUTH COMING HERE HAS DID NOTHING BUT TWIST MY FEELING UP!! NOW I NEED TO NO WHICH IS BETTER?? HOPEFULLY SOMEBODY CAN ANSWER ME IF NOT O WELL!! NOW IM GONNA END THIS WITH ONE QUESTION, WHICH ONE IS BETTER?? AND I DONT WANT, " THE NANO IS GREAT BUT BUT THE VIDEOIS GOOD",

Posted by: GIZZ E BOI at August 6, 2006 08:40 PM

Definately go with the new 8GB Nano, improved battery life (24 hours) you cant go wrong the Ipod video is too ahead of its time there arent enought good sources to obtain video for it without paying the extra money for each video. Plus movies are for watching on tv and sometimes the computer, who the hell wants to watch a movie on a tiny screen like that??

My verdict, Go with the nano, I'm on my way to buy one right now!

Posted by: Matt at September 29, 2006 06:58 PM

I initially had the same question that this blog has rolled out. But now that I see some implications of the ipod video, I'd rather go for the nano. I first thought "hey, I could watch vids on ipod?" but I'm a student, "do I really have that much free time on my hands?" no. Therefore, I think this blog has made my decision, thanks for all the comments, I'm going to go out and buy the nano 4gb. Besides, its only $130 refurbished? Haven't heard of anyone whining about that yet? So if your tight on cash, look for the refurbs, even the ipod video is $179. Big Deal?! I'll wait for the bugs to be worked out and then upgrade eventually to the ipod video. By the way, I'm a "first user" too and there isn't a ploy for pc user to turn into mac users? I'll still be a PC geek, the convenience of quick satisfaction is on Mac, so what? Welcome to America!

Posted by: santos covarrubias jr at October 3, 2006 07:17 AM

I think that the Video will be better than the nano because it seems more durable and can play videos. But i think that the nano really's on you have a lot of music otherwise it's useless and music costs a lot

Posted by: Wiatt at November 10, 2006 01:18 AM

get the nanoooooooooooooooooooooooo

Posted by: michael at November 23, 2006 12:29 PM

I for one have a great number of songs that I like to listen to, about 2800, and so I need the video ipod. I have suffered no issues with shortened battery life, it easily lasts for 4 hours, and that is plenty for me. I however was suprised to discover that at 2800 songs, my ipod is more than half full, 17GB, and I don't have any pictures or video, so it is just the music. At this rate, my ipod will only hold 4600 songs. That is nowhere near 7500, only 60% of the advertised amount. Still, 4600 songs is quite a few. But on the nano that is a different story. intead of 1000 songs,you will only really be able to hold 600. Is that really enough for you? It's not enough for me, and so nano was never an option, but others should think about that. Apple's song numbers are greatly exaggerated.

Posted by: jimi at November 27, 2006 04:51 AM

I've decided on a Nano.

WHY? It has a flash drive not a hard drive.

Unless you want to put the whole of your recorded music on to your iPod, the choice is simple.

I'll probably go for the special edition http://www.apple.com/uk/ipodnano/red/ because Apple will then contribute $10 to the Global Fund to help fight HIV/AIDS in Africa

Posted by: A Barrett at November 28, 2006 06:55 PM

well i am getting a anono 8gb and video 30 gb for the same price in India...with that i would anyday go for the video ipod 30bg...extra space matters...i can use it to take some important backups from my kaptop also..

Posted by: akash at December 5, 2006 06:14 AM

So, I came here looking for the answer to my 8 GB Nano vs. 30 GB Video problem. From what I read, I'm definitely going for the nano. It's not really the pros of the nano that got me, it's the cons of the video. Hard drive, clunky (compared to the nano), breaking screens (Apple claims they solved that problem for the nano), and the screen is more vulnerable to sweat and even high humidity. So, my advice is forgo the skipping and damaged hard drives, etc. Get yourself a NANO!

Posted by: I can't believe I'm doing this at December 11, 2006 08:04 AM

I recently asked my mom to get me a nano 2nd generation for my birthday coming in a couple days and I was with her to make sure she would get me the right one. So its been sitting in my basement for about a half of month. I thought that the nano could have movies, videos, ect... but then i found out you cant, so i was disappointed. Just yesterday i was tinking more and more about the idea of having a video ipod instead. I love movies and i am gone alot so i thought that the video would be a better choice. But then today i looked at all the comments and heard that you can only have about the maximum of 2 hours of video(movies)....i think that wouldnt be long enough...

I have thought it through and am thinking of sticking with the nano for the longer battery life. But i still think ipod video is still a great invention.

Is this a good choice??

Posted by: Roxy at December 13, 2006 06:17 AM

hey...people need to realize that neither of these mp3 players is better than another. make your own decision depending on what you need. if you think about it, nobody here is in the exact same shoes as anyone else, so people need to just get the facts from others, but not necissarily ask for guidance from people who don't know exactly what your situation is.

i'm getting a nano : )

Posted by: ken at December 26, 2006 03:29 AM

Wow this is a heated debate... I asked for the 8GB Nano for Christmas. Unfortunately my mom got confuzzled and bought me the 30GB video. I was very surprised to find this out and when I did I was imediately wanting to go to the store and return it.

But the more I thought about it the more I thought that the video wouldnt be that bad of a choice. I almost opened it twice(I

American Apparel's Future
LIMITED-TIME OFFER SUBSCRIBE NOW

(enter your email)
(enter up to 5 email addresses, separated by commas)

Max 250 characters