Businessweek Archives

Fighting that old charge of elitism

? Ad fever on blogs fuels list-mania |

Main

| Should we teach diplomats how to ping? ?

October 03, 2005

Fighting that old charge of elitism

Stephen Baker

More suspicions that we're up to MSM tricks, stacking the deck for the influential. This, from a comment by Dov Prombaum:

There are some people whose comments are posted immediately, i.e., within minutes, and others, like mine, that don't get posted for two days. There are obviously privileged users and then ordinary users and its the same old elitism all over again.

As I've said before, I regret that comments can't go up automatically on this site. We have no interest in holding up comments and making the system slower than it is. On weekends, I try to check at least a couple of times a day. But when I'm on the road, as I was the last weekend in September (in WiFi-less motels in Chicago and Madison), comments can back up like the planes at O'Hare. Heather doesn't have weekend access to the network. Dov, when we're slow, we're every bit as slow for the rich and powerful. We'll try to be faster.

09:49 AM

comments

TrackBack URL for this entry:

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference Fighting that old charge of elitism:

? pets and Fighting that old charge of elitism from

Austin Shelter, Volunteers Welcome Pets - American red cross - isn t this just great, [Read More]

Tracked on October 7, 2005 11:59 AM

Oh brother! Don't go bonkers changing your schedule so that comments are approved faster, Stephen. This is a good example of remembering that it's your publishing venue and that you, as the authors, get to define the rules. If sometimes comments take 48 hours to be approved while other times it happens in 30 minutes or less, that's hardly a big deal or worthy of any chest-beating. At least in my opinion. :-)

Posted by: Dave Taylor at October 3, 2005 10:43 AM

hmm - am I a priv user, Steve? Pretty please? Even though I'm neither rich nor powerful?

Seriously - I've noticed the speed of approval mostly depends on when you post comments. I've had them go up in 10 minutes, and I've had them go up in two days. No big deal. Anyone who's commented semi-regularly will see the same thing. The trick is to have enough experience making comments to know that.

Specifics aside, it seems to me that attacks on the MSM have been picking up in the last few weeks - particularly at the interface between journalism and blogging. I just finished writing an email to a journalist friend, accusing him of being a bad influence since I seemed to be spending more time defending journalists and journalism than I normally do. I was teasing, but I do seem to be spending more time on it.

So do you see a recent change, or am I just now focusing on something that's a steady issue?

Posted by: Greg Burton at October 3, 2005 02:15 PM

I concur, Steve, it's the system. I've seen trackbacks stay blank like this [0] for 3 or 4 days before showing up. c'est la vie. you may, however, just wish to mention to the powers that be, that by this system, dialogue and conversation are derailed by official working hours :)

Posted by: Niti Bhan at October 3, 2005 03:25 PM

Stephen-

A couple of my comments have been posted, and you folks have been pretty prompt. Right this minute I can't think of any reason you folks might have to give me any preferential treatment. I just read your blog and it makes me think a little, so I speak up sometimes. Other than that, I can't imagine I'm a lot different than Dov. It probably depends on when you submit, Dov. Keep sending stuff in.

Pete Zievers

Posted by: Pete Zievers at October 3, 2005 04:00 PM

Wow! Some people actually get their comments published?? I can't remember my comments published. I thought you just held some ill will towards PSFK

;)

Posted by: Piers Fawkes at October 3, 2005 04:18 PM

i miss the old elitism when journalists didn't have to spend their days apologizing and making sure no one gets their feelings hurt. c'mon!

still, the fact that i get to make that comment, and the fact that i get to be sure that my journalist will read it is pretty cool. if my comment gets ignored. well, my comments get ignored at cocktail parties too. no big woop. it's all part of the conversation.

Posted by: schadenfreudisch at October 4, 2005 11:52 AM

Monsanto vs. GMO Haters
LIMITED-TIME OFFER SUBSCRIBE NOW

(enter your email)
(enter up to 5 email addresses, separated by commas)

Max 250 characters