Businessweek Archives

The trouble with Katrina message boards: Too much chat

? Media and surveillance: Yahoo in China |

Main

| HuffingtonPost facing a dilemma: Too many comments ?

September 08, 2005

The trouble with Katrina message boards: Too much chat

Stephen Baker

Message boards are much like book clubs: They often stray from the topic. I was exploring the Yahoo missing person site, and I came across a big political debate in the Missing Pets section. It finally provoked this response from a woman in North Carolina:

As I am sitting in NC reading the horror these pet owners are dealing with...I am outraged with all the other stupid crap being posted.

What's the solution? Getting people to stay on subject appears to be a longshot. The consequences of this rambling on disaster sites are more serious than wasted time at a book meeting.

07:32 AM

society

TrackBack URL for this entry:

DOMAIN ROULETTE

This New Orleans site(http://www.cityofno.com/portal.aspx) sends people here

CityofNO.com asks citizens to use Katrina Safe, the Red Cross Missing Persons Directory to connect people in the wake of relocations forced by the evacuation of New Orleans. All content materials ? The City of New Orleans.

This URI http://www.new-orleans.la.us didn't work, when I checked it. The la.us site was found on a site that claimed it was the NO police site.

Be aware: The use of the words "New Orleans Police Department" and/or the display of the NOPD logo, shoulder patch and badge are for informational purposes only and do not reflect any endorsement by the New Orleans Police Department.

I don't think it was the NO Police.

This http://www.cityofno.com/portal.aspx?portal=1&load=~/SystemModules/SiteMap.ascx

is the site map. These folks went dot net

Bottom line. Try the state site http://www.louisiana.gov/wps/portal/

The state police have a site

I don't understand why the state site is dot gov and the police are dot org. I thought all government agencies were supposed to use the state dot us URI system. No wonder the emergency response was so bad. This stuff relies on the Internet and you have all these different government agencies using different domains. Instead of government, you have googlment or something and people are dot lost thinking Yahoo is like some sort of magic carpet.

Posted by: Jim Dermitt at September 8, 2005 09:45 AM

Unfortunate isn't it...the politics seems to permeate everything and it's not useful at this time.

Posted by: PXLated at September 8, 2005 01:47 PM

I dunno a solution, Steve, but keeping people on the topic originally posted is a problem with blogs, too. (Hi, Jim!)

And as the HuffPost post from Heather indicates, once you're an extremely popular site, hand approving comments can be a real issue (not one I've had to face personally).

People are going to say what they want to say, regardless. I think, though, that your post shows a problem with using message boards as a contact information system. Along with your prior comment on multilingualism, it's something that needs to be considered as we continue working on Recovery 2.0

Posted by: Greg Burton at September 8, 2005 07:02 PM

CORRECTION- sorry, I attributed the HuffPo post to Heather, not you - fixed here.

And as the HuffPost post from you indicates, once you're an extremely popular site, hand approving comments can be a real issue (not one I've had to face personally).

Posted by: Greg Burton at September 8, 2005 07:05 PM

THIS IS NOT A JOKE!!!!! why is ther such a contriversy over KATRINA" human, people have lost ecerything they own due to living in acity below sea lvl. whith weak levees and a weak system its no way the"USA" should have allowed people to live in N.O ever now theUSA is turning their backs on us like its our faults i feel like alaughing stock unwanted unimportant to those it matters too! thers too many people still displaced too many lives lost too many people living in conditions worse than befor by everybody should be placed in places exceptable by them not government! everybody is acting dumb like they dont know whats going on! whats going on is anatural disaster like sunami" like 911 like iraquee war! FEMA< goverment has spent billions in to these disaters but is cuttin back on our aid, why? africa was never assisted properly by govs. haitie was never assisted properly now "NEWORLEANS LOUISIANA was; is not being properly assisted!!! what does that say? its still racism its still no respect for human life! we feel helpless and hopeless because nobody cares! we are being forced to stay in condions we rather not were being held to leese agreements we are not being accomadated then were forced to take pennies to rebuild lives as well as housing were still being charged for electricity and telephone services! i was hoping by now everyone was aware that we havent been in our city less alone our homes and yet were still resposible for those exspences! now were in new cities and states not working not heard from in help orgs. and are exspected to maintain payments on a house that unlivable and the house your living in now i want to go home i want my family back that died in the storm i want my city back better than it was but i dont see in brightness in thst future

Posted by: laquinta craft at December 1, 2005 05:46 PM

I just read that guys comment and he is right! we in new Orleans have been forgotten. the rest of the nation don't care about us. as long as they got theres. we lost everything, I don't want to even go to the old house its just a mess. I'm a old man of 76 and can't go clean this house out. For what, so somebody can buy me out and rebuild it. I wish we could rebuild it! it a nice house but it was under water for 5 weeks. I think its going to take 10 years to get NOLA back to almost where it was. the poor people get cheated and the rich get richer. the papers are preparing us for higher elec. bills. so whats that tell you. who would want to live in a big soup bowl anyway? after what I seen what Katrnia did not me.I love the south and will stay down here forever, but i will stay 15 miles east of the lake. If the water gets that far and we get flooded out again. is anyplace safe?

Posted by: Joe Cuccio at February 23, 2006 08:44 AM

Hollywood Goes YouTube
LIMITED-TIME OFFER SUBSCRIBE NOW

(enter your email)
(enter up to 5 email addresses, separated by commas)

Max 250 characters