Businessweek Archives

Tulane and the Hurricane

? BlogDay |

Main

| Hurricane blog asks for open-source mapping ?

August 31, 2005

Tulane and the Hurricane

Heather Green

This is a remarkable example of using a blog for crises management--Tulane's Web site is now a blog. There isn't anything to be found there except bulletins on how the school is coping with Hurricane Katrina. (Via Dave Winer).

02:15 PM

new blogs

TrackBack URL for this entry:

That's not exactly true. The entire Tulane computer system was taken down before the hurricane hit. This particular server is housed outside the university and is being used by the President to post emergency information announcements to the Tulane community during the crisis - at least as long as the server stays up. I don't really think it deserves to be called a blog.

Posted by: Mark at August 31, 2005 05:09 PM

Hey Mark,

Thanks for the input and the background. It is true it doesn't have comments or trackbacks, though it does have the publishing format of a blog, the running updates, etc. if not the community features.

Posted by: Heather Green at August 31, 2005 05:34 PM

Forty real estate bloggers are posting about the Gulf Tragedy. See what Craig Newmark is doing to take the lead in blogging initiatives.

Posted by: Frances Flynn Thorsen at August 31, 2005 08:43 PM

I am a foreign student at Tulane. If classes are cancelled this semester, which seems likely, I would like to go back to my country. However, I cannot come back to the states unless some officer from the Tulane International Students office signs my J-1. Does anybody know how to contact Bill Lennon?

Or any advice on what can I do?

Posted by: Margarita Vargas at September 2, 2005 12:35 PM

The school's administration has been relocated to Houston, and the president is posting daily updates to www.tulane.edu. There is no number on this site, but he promised a decision on how the school would conduct this semester in 48 hours (it seemed it was working with other schools to have its students taking classes there). I'm hoping once it gets its new office set contact information will be posted on the site. He was interviewed by MSNBC's Rita Cosby last night, so I guess the last resort will be to ask MSNBC or Ms. Cosby to help you get in touch with the school. Best of luck.

Posted by: Chung Wong at September 2, 2005 05:58 PM

Was freshman at Tulane, now going to Columbia in NYC. Looking for any other Tulane students also going to Columbia to share experience and maybe housing. Any ideas?

Posted by: phil rothman at September 2, 2005 06:39 PM

I have been on the road since Wednesday, heading to CT from New Orleans. Evacuated with the first wave of Tulane students to Jackson, Miss, I didn't see or hear any news about the city until last night. I am looking for ways to get ahold of other Tulane students, any blogs that might be popping up. Anyone have any info at all?

Posted by: tim at September 2, 2005 07:48 PM

I am dismayed at the overwhelming silence concerning the financial future for the coming months of faculty and staff. I just learned that this major concern for many of us does not even figure on the president's priority list for the next 48 hours. Many of us are wondering if we should begin to seek actively and accept alternative positions. I'm sure I speak for many when I voice my desire to participate in the rebuilding of our university, but I would like to see the university show as much loyalty to the faculty and staff.

Posted by: Deborah McGrady at September 3, 2005 07:00 PM

Deborah and Terry,

Hope you are OK. Let us know how we can help.

--Molly & family

Posted by: Molly Recchia at September 4, 2005 01:46 PM

My daughter's also was a freshman going to Columbia in New York now, at least temporarily, until Tulane Univ. reopens. Columbia was good enought to let her register for courses last minuted, although they don't have any more dorm spaces. She also needs housing near the universtiy.

Posted by: Andrew at September 4, 2005 05:53 PM

Dear Tulane students, alumni, staff, and friends:

Many of you have already been raising money for the hurricane relief effort on your own, but if we work together we can do so much more. On the night of Thursday, November 17th, Tulane alumni, students, and supporters will hold fundraising events all across America to raise money for the hurricane relief effort in Louisiana. We will partner with America's Second Harvest and many other supporters to raise money for the victims of Hurricane Katrina. America's Second Harvest provides to the food banks that are currently feeding thousands of refugees.

Events can be as simple as asking a bar to donate 10% of their sales on the 17th or they can be more elaborate, like a benefit concert or (in true Tulane style) a drag show. The website (http://www.geocities.com/TulaneReliefEffort/home.html) includes resources to assist in event planning and fundraising.

Please join the effort by organizing an event in your town or sending out letters to local bars. Email your name, location, and Tulane affiliation to TulaneReliefEffort@yahoo.com for more information. Also, please disseminate this information in any way you know how. Thank you.

-Jenna Kellam

Newcomb Class ‘05

Posted by: Jenna Kellam at September 6, 2005 08:26 PM

I read this morning that all universities in Israel, through the Jewish Agency, have opened their doors to hurricane impacted students. Aside from free tuition, they are subsidizing travel.

They also have a tour/study for credits initiative called MASA that has been made available to all students.

Posted by: Raphael Butler at September 7, 2005 07:21 AM

Green wave!!!

I am in North Carolina, and hope everyone of the Tulane Community is safe. I am also trying to contact William Lennon since I am an international student. His email is not working: lennon@tulane.edu. I am still looking for a school here. Duke did not accept me because I was not within the parameters it has set to accept students: I am not a North Carolina / South Carolina resident, I do not have any links to Duke, and I was about to pursue my second bachelors degree at Tulane. Duke does not allow its students do so. If anyone can let me know how to get in touch with Mr. Lennon or give me some information to go to school in NC. email me. fernandoces99@hotmail.com. Peace to you all!

Posted by: Fernando Hurtado at September 7, 2005 06:18 PM

Deborah -- Jose and I would like to know that you and Terry are alright, but I don't know how to get in touch with you. Please come stay with us in Boulder if you'd like to. You can reach me at patricia@goodworksgroup.net.

Posted by: Patricia Gallagher at September 9, 2005 08:02 PM

Dear Prof. McGrady,

What a relief to have finally heard something about you. I had gotten news that Hope and all others I know in the department were out safe.

Please let me me know through which means I can reach you directly.

Best to you and Terry.

Mohamed

Posted by: Mohamed Kamara at September 11, 2005 04:37 PM

DR. McGrady,

I forgot to include my e-mail in my last message to you. You can reach me at admush2@yahoo.com.

Cheers,