Businessweek Archives

? The CBC lockout: Labor speaks with many blogged voices |

Main

| Flickr cover ?

August 22, 2005

As interviews get blogged, open-source journalism could take off

Stephen Baker

Like it or not, we journalists are going to see our interviews, written or spoken, posted on blogs. That's what Mark Cuban did on Sunday. This two-way street will change behavior. We reporters will start having to ask if our questions are "on the record." And we (along with everyone else) will have to start treating each e-mail as if it will be published to the world.

This publishing of raw material creates an opening for more open-source journalism. One common complaint about blogs in the press is that they feed off mainstream stories. But as more of the reporting gets published, bloggers will have access to more of the raw material. This will make it easier to write original stories of their own--alternative takes on published stories. It would be interesting to see a blogger, with the Cuban interview and the Times story in hand, write another version of that column. Maybe Mark Cuban himself could do it.

07:36 AM

mainstream media

TrackBack URL for this entry:

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference As interviews get blogged, open-source journalism could take off:

? The New PR: Comparing Notes from Weblogs Work

Mark Cuban created his blog to talk back to certain news stories that he thought weren’t telling the complete story. Here’s an example: a story in the New York Times yesterday. Cuban’s posting of the complete email ... [Read More]

Tracked on August 22, 2005 11:32 AM

Source of NYT Story Opened from Changing Way

Mark Cuban was recently interviewed, via an exchange of emails, by a New York Times journalist. He feels that the story published did not fairly reflect the interview. So he posted the email exchange on his blog.

I'm not posting about this to take s... [Read More]

Tracked on August 22, 2005 09:10 PM

Cuban from David V. Lorenzo

In an earlier post I presented you with a link to a Mark Cuban quote. Cuban was unhappy with the outcome of the story in which the quote appeared. He posted the entire interview (which was done via e-mail) and [Read More]

Tracked on August 23, 2005 07:03 AM

i was tempted to do that a bit Heather in my post this morning but decided not to.

Posted by: fred at August 22, 2005 11:48 AM

I think Mark already did a pretty good job of writing another article about the article. I think his posting of the e-mail exchange offers readers an awful lot to think about, and adds a lot of value.

From his post, I found myself thinking about the interactiveness blogs can provide. When I read the Times article, I just took it as is - like, "oh I guess Mark has a mean corporate guy side". Not really a bad reflection, just like a tough guy big wig thing.

I was really surprised to see him question the article, and be all like, "WTF? When did I say that?"

I don't think I would call it "open source" journalism, but I do think it makes the world a little smaller. There are so many more ways to interact with people over the electronet than in 3-D. Just might make things more human and personable.

Posted by: Busty at August 22, 2005 07:59 PM

Heya Fred,

Yep, I was thinking about that when I saw your blog entry. This really is something to think about. It's funny because with bloggers that I speak with, I am starting to ask them not to blog about anything until after the story is published. And I think that's common because actually Steve Rubel of MicroPersuasion was the first to tell me he does it after a tiff with another blogger.

Posted by: Heather Green at August 23, 2005 09:52 AM

Steve-

Considering the extreme tortional forces applied to the news right now, what you suggest sets up like a carnival of spin. On the other hand, handled responsibly, publishing different points of view of the same event or events may help balance public debate. I think the key is to keep the professionals engaged so it's not all so much thinly veiled spam.

Pete Z.